Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Husqvarna 701 Supermoto

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:01 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Husqvarna 701 Supermoto Reply with quote

Anyone on here got one?

Really considering this to run in the summer as a hooligan tool and then whack some more off road tyres on it for winter and fuck about down dirt tracks / light green lanes, nothing too heavy.. won't be entering any dakar rallies or anything but fed up of not riding in Winter because I don't want to take a 200bhp superbike out.

Nice looking things too...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hQmWZV-sLBw/maxresdefault.jpg
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo don't want a 2T

Weighs about 145kg dry

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Just got rid of an enduro. Reply with quote

You'll struggle to get decent off road tyres in the wheel size, hence why I got an enduro over the supermoto and put Pirelli scorpion mt90 on it. Had it for 2 years, loved it. New model has a few more ponies....wow. It's a phenomenal piece of kit. They're very tall, suspension doesn't give much.
Weighs about the same as a crf250l.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:39 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Just got rid of an enduro. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You'll struggle to get decent off road tyres in the wheel size, hence why I got an enduro over the supermoto and put Pirelli scorpion mt90 on it. Had it for 2 years, loved it. New model has a few more ponies....wow. It's a phenomenal piece of kit. They're very tall, suspension doesn't give much.
Weighs about the same as a crf250l.

Well they do an SM and Enduro version, which essentially has the tyres and different gearing and forks but mostly the same.

Heard they are mega tall, will be riding one in 2 weeks as well as the Panigale V4 but I've already decided against the Ducati as I already have a mega V4 and the difference it will cost, might as well get something cool like as well as my RSV4 RF instead of one really expensive superbike

I have a KTM 640 Duke 2 years ago, was so much fun

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Wheels. Reply with quote

The wheels are significantly different. You won't get sticky sports tyres to fit the enduro wheels, like you won't get tyres with decent off road capability on the moto. I ran a ccm 644 with 2 sets of wheels, hell of a nuisance to swap regularly. That's why the 701 enduro with a set of tkc 70 or the mt90 I had was the best compromise for all year round. It just struggled on wet grass and thick mud.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 23:47 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Wheels. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The wheels are significantly different. You won't get sticky sports tyres to fit the enduro wheels, like you won't get tyres with decent off road capability on the moto. I ran a ccm 644 with 2 sets of wheels, hell of a nuisance to swap regularly. That's why the 701 enduro with a set of tkc 70 or the mt90 I had was the best compromise for all year round. It just struggled on wet grass and thick mud.

What did you primarily use it for?

I have a superbike and I have a tnt 125 (Honda Grom wannabe) so this would be for mostly street riding but I want to be able to cut down dirt tracks (not really trudging through thick mud and stuff) if I want to randomly but I will be 90% road riding / 10% dirt tracks.

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/globalassets/products-pim-data/ke2-16032895/enduro/dual-sport/701-enduro/701-enduro-2018/f2603r1/pho_bike_90_re.png

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/globalassets/products-pim-data/ke2-16032895/supermoto/701-supermoto/701-supermoto-2018/f2603r3/pho_bike_90_re.png

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it.

Changing from supermoto wheels to enduro ones when the weather is shitty and you want to go play offroad is no big deal so get yourself a hooligans bike as a new toy. Mr. Green

It will magnetically attract low life thieving scum so don't let your guard down. Sad

Do it, do it, DO IT!!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screams theft magnet but that's only because there's, by the pictures, sod all in the way of helpful design to aid in securing the thing: even the wheels would take some jiggery pokery to get a chain through.

For the purpose of non-commuting I'd say go for it. I'd keep it way out of sight and probably wouldn't park up anywhere for long, though.

Balance between paranoia of a potential occurring situation and enjoyment, depends what one weighs more on your mind while owning your current bikes.

Saying that, form what I remember, you've had some nice sports bikes anyway and managed to keep hold of them.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:27 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't commute on bikes so they would never be left anywhere out of my eye sight, that's the number one rule I've always stuck by after I had my first road bike (scooter) nicked but later recovered it.

It just looks so much cooler with SM wheels but the question is... can I touch the floor on it Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Screams theft magnet but that's only because there's, by the pictures, sod all in the way of helpful design to aid in securing the thing: even the wheels would take some jiggery pokery to get a chain through.

I was looking at and seriously considering a 570r then realised it didn't have a key Laughing

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 03:21 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 2 friends with the 701. Absolute animal. Wheelies in third and is easily thrown around. Sounds amazing with an aftermarket system and just seems like a fun bike in general
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:54 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need 1 foot on the floor, slide arse off etc. I'm not short but had to do that on my TTR.

Those pics also show the front wheel being bigger as they tend to be..

You'll want 2 sets of wheels and forks by looking at those photos, can't tell on phone but is the SM one using radial brakes at front?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Use. Reply with quote

I used it for general everyday riding (hooning around), teaching CBT and test training, green laning and going to the shops. Hence why i chose the enduro. I believe the supermoto to be 'slightly' lower.
If you can get wheels for it, then that would be ideal for summer/winter.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:36 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 690 SMC-R is supposed to be setup a bit more 'extreme' if you're looking for that - I believe they're pretty much the same bike generally.

However, for 'hardcore', I'd still be considering a competition bike - my 690 is a bit long in the tooth relatively - but still a pretty similar bike as far as I know and definitely doesn't feel as hardcore as a competition bike - as you'd expect.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does look smart .. who sells them cheap then Question

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Thieves.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be pretty good from what I've read. Certainly got the power and reliability side of the triangle, and 145kg for a purely road bike is still feathers compared to anything else of similar capacity, or a street/naked/sports bike.

As G said I've heard that it's not as savage or doesn't quite have the last bit of top end power of the smaller cc lighter competition orientated bikes, but should still be a fucking riot on B-roads and lanes.

Im not into modern bikes, but it's one of the few newish machines that I reckon would be more fun/capable than I need for the sort of riding I do now. Weight is more important than power for fun, and it's 70odd bhp is more than I'd use on today's roads. I'd genuinely like to test ride one, my only slight dislike is the styling and that funky plastic seat/tank unit that I'm not sure about. I do like my trail and supermoto bikes to be a bit more old skool in looks, with a proper tank and the seat that slopes up the back of the tank (late 80's MX) style. Modern Enduro and SM bikes have flatter narrow seats, where you sit more on top of the bike and less in it if that makes sense? I'm sure theres a good reason for modern seat and ergonomic layouts though.

Oh and a TDR 250 is overpriced now, and wouldn't have any hope of seeing which way the 701 went. I get Mpd's (only interested in old two strokes) but the new bikes are much more capable, and anyone considering a 701 won't be the same guy that owns or wants a TDR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
can I touch the floor on it Laughing

You'll find that out when you take delivery of the bike. Wink

Possibly stating the obvious here but you're more likely to be able to touch the floor when it's on supermoto wheels.

You should totally order one. Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:12 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

As G said I've heard that it's not as savage or doesn't quite have the last bit of top end power of the smaller cc lighter competition orientated bikes, but should still be a fucking riot on B-roads and lanes.

Pretty sure it's got more power than any competition bike - even probably than a Huaberg 650.
But something like that Husaberg will have a lighter flywheel and generally weigh a good bit less - so will feel more agile/nimble/etc.
Also more like to end up with an engine-soup too Smile.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jayy wrote:
can I touch the floor on it Laughing

You'll find that out when you take delivery of the bike. Wink

And when he falls over at a set of traffic lights Smile

It'll probably be ok (depending how long the OPs leggies are) as the seat looks narrow. I was surprised I could touch the floor on a scrambler with a 36" seat height (due to the seat), it felt about the same as my XR at 32.5".

I'd want to be able to get both tiptoes down though, even with a bike that light you can easily fall over.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got an extra-high seat on my 690 thanks to an additional gel insert.

With no luggage and enduro wheels on it sits very high - shifting off a bit to the side to get a food decently down for me (fun in snowy/icey conditions!) But don't find it a problem to do that.
(I'm just hitting on 6ft by the way.)

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Height. Reply with quote

At 6 foot tall (inside leg 31) with normal bike boots on, one foot flat was no problem. When in tech 6 mx boot, it was even easier to get two feet on floor.
Regarding the style, having the tank aver the rear meant it actually handled easier on wet, slippy surfaces than an xl600/klx450/drz400/xr400/ttr250/dr125/dt80/ss50. (Just the ones I definitely have ridden in muddy conditions).
And, when you consider it has a fuckton more power than almost all of them, it's a brilliant piece of kit in its enduro form. As an out and out supermoto, there's a lot more choice out there for the money.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said, it's probably a combination of less weight and flywheel and a more free /quicker revving engine on the competition bikes.

It was a YouTube review I saw a while ago where a guy was comparing the 701 SM to a 501 or maybe a 570 SM, and a CR 500 motard. He said the competition four stroke was the snappiest most aggressive bike of the 3 and had a slight speed and acceleration advantage over the 701, but there wasn't that much in it.

The current Husky 450 SM is a claimed 63bhp, against 74bhpof the 701. With the considerable weight difference I'd say that makes an 11bhp difference null and void?

The interesting thing is they list 135hr engine overhaul intervals. The accepted maybe double it for road use only rule means quite a few miles for a seasonal fun rider? It's certainly more than I thought for a high state of tune single 4T.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:

Thieves.

havin had a line of off roaders and been followed twice .. I am fully aware of what a turd magnet such a machine is ...

grandmother and suck eggs comes to mind ... Rolling Eyes

M.C wrote:

I'd want to be able to get both tiptoes down though, even with a bike that light you can easily fall over.

should have drank your milk then ....should`t you ..

iron brew dont make you big and strong .. just rots your teeth and guts...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2