BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which 60+mpg car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clio 1.5 DCi Dynamique (older model) try and find the 100 bhp variant. The 65bhp is torture, the 80bhp is a cock tease. The 100bhp is where it is at for same road tax and slightly worse real world fuel consumption. Mine was decent for bangernomics. Current ride is 07 plate Fiesta 1.6 TDCi 90 bhp. £30 tax, leather seats. Not bad for what it is. Thumbs Up

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i've been having a play around with the budget and have spent about 18+ hours over the last few days looking at the car options..im no closer than i was before, although now an alfa gt jtdm has popped into my head.

I cannot decide between buying something cheap(around a grand or less) and running it til it dies OR spending a bit more now for something that i'm going to keep and like driving AND gets decent economy..

oh the first world problems

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been mentioned before but the Mk3 Clio really is the car to go for in your case.

My dad has the 86bhp DCI in the estate, or sport tourer, body and it goes ok. It isn't going to win any traffic light grands prix but 30-60 isn't terrifyingly slow and it makes good progress. It's also a nice enough place to be.

He asked me to take his 2009 model out for a spin, as he isn't able to drive at the moment, and a 100 mile cruise along the south coast was very nice indeed. It's a little less hardcore than my Nismo 370z, and I felt nice and relaxed at the end of it.

I also saw a real world 59mpg.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Your £30 tax becomes £110? in March. Fiat panda 1.3 diesel is the same.
A mate has a Nissan Note 1.5 diesel which will be £30 AFTER March.
Remember you can use autotrader to buy by tax rate.
Mine goes up to £310 after the change Laughing

I thought the increase only affects new cars?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not read previous posts but meh.

I got a nearly new Nissan Juke (2015 facelift model).
1.5 DCi, has eco/normal/sport mode.
Will get > 60 in eco, around 58-60 in normal and 50-60 on sport.

Plenty of poke when you want (sport), adequate in normal but I usually pander around in eco because the R1's for fun...

Looks like a retarded fish, but I like it Thumbs Up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:26 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

I thought the increase only affects new cars?

I am pretty sure you are right.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea of an economical clio but there is something in the back of my head saying 'nuh uh'
From what ive seen, the same price gets me an alfa 147 jtdm.. im REALLY trying to talk myself out of it but it keeps coming back as a worthy contender.

Did the last 2 days in my mates alfa gt 1.9 jtdm.. Lovely car, lush interior that is genuinely comfortable.. best part is he averages 55 the whole way back which to me is acceptable and could no doubt be improved as he has a heavy right foot

tl:dr/inb4 OP asks for advice, ignores all advice and buys an alfa romeo

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

tl:dr/inb4 OP asks for advice, ignores all advice and buys an alfa romeo

I loved Alfas but I wouldn't think of economy when buying one Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your confused and misplacing your requirements. Do you want:

1, A cheap daily car that's cheap to buy and run?

2, anything that's going to do 60mpg, that isn't a wreak and has some life left in it?

3, A fun exciting car to drive?

4, A walk away from bangernomics hack

5, something manly, masculine and powerful that suits your image and status?

You can't get all the above in any one car, and your OP was about mpg to save money. Why do you think an Alfa xyz is the best car for your needs?

There's alot of rubbish suggested above too, all these Renault clio fans saying get the 105/110 2.0 TDI sport etc. The best clio or any other specific car for the budget isn't the one with the biggest engine, highest number or bhp, and the most spec. Its the one that's in the best cleanest condition with the most service history, dent and damage free and has been best looked after. A tatty BMW 330 is not a better car than a perfect spotless, pampered 318 for example.

Your not buying a car for a project or for fun, or track daying or off road blasting. Your OP comes across as you need a dependable reliable tool for a job.

There's blokes out there who think a 2year old pink Nissan Micra 1.0 is a shit car they won't be seen dead in, but a well worn/tatty 10yr old black Audi A3 is a cool car with the right badge and image. Fucking lol to that!

You choose a car or bike for a job, or for personal taste. I've got a 25yr old car, it's impractical and struggles to do 20mpg. I wouldn't care if it did 15mpg it's not essential or everyday transport.

If I was to buy another car it would have to be a supermini hatchback that's cheap, cheerful and has low running costs and is cheap to service and maintain. If that was a 1.0 city car that was cheap and basic then that's even better.

My point is I'm never going to ask conflicting demands from a car it just needs to do a job I need it for and that's it.

Your car requirements and preferences are a bit like saying you want a £1000 bike that does 160mph, weights 100kg, and does 100mpg. Its not going to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're not wrong, my thinking has changed from the original post.
I ended up buying an alfa 147 1.9jtm ti. Averaged 58mpg over the 100mile trip back, at 65-70mph, which is great imo. That's almost double what i was getting in the mx5.

Sure it was more expensive to buy, but its got lovely leather seats and is pretty quick when you put your foot down (which i wont be doing). After a bit of researching, alfa parts are not nearly as expensive as i was expecting with the exception being the clutch and flywheel. Tax is £9 cheaper per month but £10 more expensive on insurance, so thats kind of levelled out.

i think its going to be one i'll keep for a while.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But will you be able to go into Londonistan without Khan raping your wallet?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
But will you be able to go into Londonistan without Khan raping your wallet?

I'd pay good money to not go into Londonistan.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
you're not wrong, my thinking has changed from the original post.
I ended up buying an alfa 147 1.9jtm ti. Averaged 58mpg over the 100mile trip back, at 65-70mph, which is great imo. That's almost double what i was getting in the mx5.

Sure it was more expensive to buy, but its got lovely leather seats and is pretty quick when you put your foot down (which i wont be doing). After a bit of researching, alfa parts are not nearly as expensive as i was expecting with the exception being the clutch and flywheel. Tax is £9 cheaper per month but £10 more expensive on insurance, so thats kind of levelled out.

i think its going to be one i'll keep for a while.

Get your pics out then...

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what to use now photobucket is messing people around but this is the same car, same spec, same interior etc etc except i paid less and got a variation of the teledial wheels.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802213949293?make=ALFA%20ROMEO&model=147&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&postcode=sn253pl&page=3

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
not sure what to use now photobucket is messing people around but this is the same car, same spec, same interior etc etc except i paid less and got a variation of the teledial wheels.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802213949293?make=ALFA%20ROMEO&model=147&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&postcode=sn253pl&page=3

I've always like the look of Alfas, never owned one though. I'm particularly fond of the Brera. Wub

As for pic hosting.

https://imgur.com/ is what all the cool kids use now.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Alfa 156 Sportwagon with the 2.5 litre V6. I absolutely adored it.

Sadly it started to have Alfa sized electrical gremlins and the warning system used to shout at wifie, never at me! Laughing

She loathed it!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I had an Alfa 156 Sportwagon with the 2.5 litre V6. I absolutely adored it.

Sadly it started to have Alfa sized electrical gremlins and the warning system used to shout at wifie, never at me! Laughing

She loathed it!

Shocker Smile I'd have a 159 or Brera just to look at but not to rely upon as an everyday car.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Stevo ....

Which is the reason i have an Aygo, an S2000 and a Z1000SX.

The answer if possible is always multiple vehicles, each with a single use.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it all sorted there then mate! Thumbs Up

I know it's not practicable for everyone to have the time, space or cash for multiple vehicles, but it's always the best solution if you have specific conflicting requirements.

Its like having a track day bike, there's no way I'd want to get serious into doing track days in a daily driven work hack/grocery getter/family wagon etc.

I'd sell my two strokes and my Rover if I needed daily transport bikes and a car. There's some cars out there I could manage with that'd be daily drivers, but enough fun to still make me justify owning and running them. The Suzuki Swift sport for example.

I also think that on today's congested roads, and all the speed cameras on smart roads etc that a car or bike that handles really well is better than one that goes really well.

That's why I actually really like the Aygo you have and other similar light cars that handle much better than they go. Adding speed is possibly sometimes cheaper than adding handling to a fast car?

Out of interest which do you drive the most out of the Aygo and S2000?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough choice actually, i love thrashing the hell out of the Aygo .... but it mostly gets used for going to the places i'd not care to park or couldn't park the S2000. Tip runs / shopping.

S2000 goes to work and back a lot / nice evening thrashes or summer day trips. Aygo is mostly a winter hack and the bike ... the bike is just for between April and about November.

Weirdly in the heavier snow, it's a tossup between the two cars, both have winter tyres on and both are hilariously good fun in their own right. Like your Rover, the S2000 is the one i have had the longest of any car and it's not in danger of being sold yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2