Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinion on owning multiple 125's?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I see more fun and point in owning a diverse group of trying hard to be bigger bikes of 125cc than someone who wants to own a brace of 750cc SP/RR versions of popular sports bikes.

Would certainly rather have say 6 125's than one RC30 or OWO1 etc.

Nah, can't agree with this Laughing

If i owned a GSXR750RK the rest of my bikes could go in the crusher or get burnt out by bykelyfe for all I care.

actually a white lie, my YR5 would still be my favourite cause I made it

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion really isn't valid and I very much need to GTFO, but having never owned or ridden anything SP/RR yet seen the prices of them and the compromises they have for road use:

Give me an mk1 VFR750 with a trick shock and race pipe, and keep your GSXR RK. Was good enough for Haslam to win on, and has as much claimed power as a GSXR, even if the reality says not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
My opinion really isn't valid and I very much need to GTFO, but having never owned or ridden anything SP/RR yet seen the prices of them and the compromises they have for road use:

Give me an mk1 VFR750 with a trick shock and race pipe, and keep your GSXR RK. Was good enough for Haslam to win on, and has as much claimed power as a GSXR, even if the reality says not.

That's what i like though, race bike chic. Big carbs, no airbox, adjustable suspension, single seat, narrow powerband. Road bikes are dull and difficult to work on. Fuck, i'm even considering putting pods on the 400 just to make it easier to work on.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of get that tbh! I've always thought that it would be more fun to restore an MX or a race bike, as firstly you don't need to keep them 100% original, or cosmetically perfect (if it's a rider), but theres fuck all loom, wiring or electrics on them to get in the way or slow you down putting them together. I miss my TY175 in that respect.

Oh and it might be an idea for you to not look inside this month's Practical sportsbike magazine, as there's a saucy modified RK in there to blow a load over.

Fuck knows what I'll do if they ever do a 125 trail bikes feature? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

All 125s suck on national speed limit dual carriageways, so don't ride on them.

Fuck off, my NSR was great, I've seen a decent Mito for sale near me for <£1000 which has 7 gears and I'm sure would be more fun than my divvy.

Last edited by Fin on 18:09 - 18 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:08 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But was your NSR restricted?

Mine was. Until I found BCF. Laughing

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:53 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
But was your NSR restricted?

Mine was. Until I found BCF. Laughing

restricting a bike... a 125... NO! YOU CANNOT DO THAT. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW AND YOU WILL BE SENTENCED TO A MILLION YEARS IN JAIL. REMOVE THIS POST ON THE DOUBLE OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL FUCKING HUNT YOU DOWN AND RIP YOUR TONGUE OUT FORM YOUR ARSE AAAAAAAAARRGH

why does my lexmoto have zero horsepowers..
i wish i was older

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:34 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ya wearing?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:39 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What ya wearing?

nothing

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:38 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinion on owning any 125?

Don't - they're all shit.

HTH. Mr. Green

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the whole multiple bikes thing. At one point I had 4 bikes:

ZZR600
ZX9R
YBR125
Yamaha RXS 100

To be honest, one of the best things I did was to sell everything apart from the ZX9R.

I could afford to MOT, tax, insure, and maintain all the bikes at the same time, but it became a bit of a chore.

I would say you are better having 1 bike OR selling your current 125, and replacing it with something that you think is better.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: 125 Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

When the older bikes ( some now are ) BECOME mot AND tax EXEMPT, CHEAP biking becomes even cheaper, particularly if you already own older bikes. Karma

I'd suspect on paper that it'd probably be cheaper to MOT and tax a more modern bike, rather than maintaining a pre-1977 bike.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

only reason I ended up with a 125cc was after getting kinda shaffted of over £30k and ending up in serious financial problems in 2015 after helping someone, a 125cc was all i could afford to run.
I was so badly broke i couldnt afford the £20 for petrol on the GSXR 1000 i had then so the bike had to go and just before my credit rating went extremely bad i managed to secure finance on a honda msx 125cc

now im financially semi ok again ive got an 08 R1 (yet again lol) and a 125cc which i still LOVE and will take on a trip up to Scotland again

would i own multiple 125cc's .................erm NOPE!
I am happy with just the one!

an air cooled single cylinder 125cc is so easy to maintain and take care of
valve clearance only take like 10mins to do and oil changes are like 5mins to
if only women were as simple and straight forward as these engines lol

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Opinion on owning any 125?

Don't - they're all shit.

HTH. Mr. Green

I can't change my age or the way the licence works

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:56 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
only reason I ended up with a 125cc was after getting kinda shaffted of over £30k and ending up in serious financial problems in 2015 after helping someone, a 125cc was all i could afford to run.
I was so badly broke i couldnt afford the £20 for petrol on the GSXR 1000 i had then so the bike had to go and just before my credit rating went extremely bad i managed to secure finance on a honda msx 125cc

now im financially semi ok again ive got an 08 R1 (yet again lol) and a 125cc which i still LOVE and will take on a trip up to Scotland again

I'd go get an msx right now if i wasnt twice the size of the damn thing. i do love them but i think i'd look too stupid to ride one(fatbastard).

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:57 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
I did the whole multiple bikes thing. At one point I had 4 bikes:

ZZR600
ZX9R
YBR125
Yamaha RXS 100

To be honest, one of the best things I did was to sell everything apart from the ZX9R.

I could afford to MOT, tax, insure, and maintain all the bikes at the same time, but it became a bit of a chore.

I would say you are better having 1 bike OR selling your current 125, and replacing it with something that you think is better.

Considering the rear wheel bearing and the clutch(i think) just kicked the bucket i would say that is a good idea.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
woo wrote:

I'd go get an msx right now if i wasnt twice the size of the damn thing. i do love them but i think i'd look too stupid to ride one(fatbastard).

Eating less pies and going for a run costs no pounds.

New MSXs are a rip off though. £3300. Fuck that

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
ive got a 125cc which i still LOVE and will take on a trip up to Scotland again.

Top man Thumbs Up Tiddler touring rocks! Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:09 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

All 125s suck on national speed limit dual carriageways, so don't ride on them.

Fuck off, my NSR was great, I've seen a decent Mito for sale near me for <£1000 which has 7 gears and I'm sure would be more fun than my divvy.

Hurhur n0pe.

There is no such thing as a decent mito for under a grand, only shit ones that are going to cost you another grand to fix. That's why all the decent ones are nearly 2 grand.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also probably why all the 2grand ones are only going one way in value too. 125's are the last two strokes to be hit with the classic tax/ sought after nostalgia hunter's.

You will lose no money on such bikes, and they are going to escalate in value too.

I wouldn't mind buying a few Sinnis Apaches and Citroën Saxo VTR/VTS's, just to store them and wait for the 40 somethings in another 10years, to start throwing silly money around to get a slice of their youth back.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:34 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that people forget just how good 2 stroke bikes are, even compared to the modern 250cc class.

If you were to "top trump" the new GSXR250 against a TZR125 or a similar Gilera, the 2 strokes would probably win on most counts.

I occasionally fire one of my 125's up , and they still surprise me in terms of how much of a "proper" bike they are, even though most are now nearly 30 years old ......

I guess there is an argument that a 4 stroke would be more reliable, but whose going to get nostalgic about that ?

Last edited by GSTEEL32 on 16:37 - 28 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I guess there is an argument that a 4 stroke would be more reliable, but whose going to get nostalgic about that ?

I thought a Yamaha DT was meant to be good for 20k (I assume restricted)? That's not too far off a R125, although AFAIK that's comparing one of the more reliable 2-strokes with one of least reliable 4-strokes Smile

A CG on 90k might be hard to beat Thinking

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:53 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
GSTEEL32 wrote:

I thought a Yamaha DT was meant to be good for 20k (I assume restricted)? That's not too far off a R125, although AFAIK that's comparing one of the more reliable 2-strokes with one of least reliable 4-strokes Smile

Ive *Heard* of 125 Varaderos getting up to 60K but i'm not sure how many have actually achieved anything close to that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:05 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISTR that Paddys was in the 70s before he killed it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
M.C wrote:

Ive *Heard* of 125 Varaderos getting up to 60K but i'm not sure how many have actually achieved anything close to that.

Yeah, I think the issue is more owner neglect and bikes getting old than running out of puff. Also I guess you have to be careful you're not dealing with Triggers broom Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4