Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Open faced helmet goggles/glasses road use

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Open faced helmet goggles/glasses road use Reply with quote

Considering getting an open faced helmet I know there won't be that many on here. But those that do can anyone recommend any glasses/goggles.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:52 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to try them on with the helmet.

Often, the deep sides of the helmet hold the goggles off your face.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get both. I'm shopping for one of these later this year.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/helmets/shark-evo-one-helmet-review

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:34 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need goggles with long legs for a modern helmet to cope with the padding. Last time I looked, there was an option for long or short legs (it's the ridgid bit that goes between the strap and the goggles). I've never got on with goggles though.

I wear a pair of oakley wrap-arounds if it's sunny.

I also wear cheap as chips JSP stealth safety glasses all the time on the bike (both open and closed lid) because I often ride with the visor open anyway. Available in various colours. I like these because they are a good close fit.

A mate swears by the Bolle safety glasses which have side inserts.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 10:35 - 22 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Viper RS-V06

https://www.ngales.com/product/viper-rs-v06-matt-black-open-face-helmet/?attribute_pa_size=l&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bnUBRA-EiwAc0hZk-5ETY8HumvT7XH_mof-tatVhJbmfnyMtetSo3jNR4Wa_ILvR7aiDBoCefoQAvD_BwE

Nice comfortable helmet, the drop down sun visor is good as well. My only complaint is that there isn't a clear visor drop down as well, so, on warm dusky summer/autumn evenings and it's too dark to use the sun visor, the midges & other assorted bugs have free range, which, is obviously where goggles come into play, but as they have an elastic strap, can be worn under the the helmet easily.

There are plenty to choose from though, so, may be worth finding somewhere you can try a few.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:49 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not got any lids that allow wearing goggles over the helmet, as Triton says.

Goggles or glasses on first, then helmet over the top. I wouldn't recommend any particular brand,of eyepro I just grab whatever of my random eBay collection seems least scratched and most idiomatically appropriate for whatever rally I'm gracing with my presence on the two sunny days each year. I would suggest getting something with padding that seals onto your face, or you're risking a dry eyeballing.

Peak hipster but with some chance of helping in a survivable impact is probably something like a Nitro X580 with a faux leather covering and sun shade. You can spend less, but I'd stay away from any non- or joke-branded Chinesium lids as there's a fair chance that they're for novelty use only.

However, what I actually wear for much of the year is a Vcan V510. It's got a lonnnnng shell and a great big visor that actually does a pretty good job at keeping the weather off of your face. Or you can remove the visor and hipster it up with some glasses if you're absolutely sure it's not going to rain.

Have you considered MX lids? Big face opening, cut back to actually suit goggle use, pretty rattical.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:11 - 22 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you, you got me looking ..

The Soxon SP-325 range looks pretty good. Would be tempted with a clear visor, and wear sunglasses. They also do tinted visors, shame, they don't have an internal drop down sun visor, if they did, I'd get 1 straight away !
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:36 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even going for the Derek Minter look with a piss-pot helmet takes a bit of trial and error to get draughtproof goggles that stay on and lift off (when you want to lift them off).

https://www.classicbikersclub.com/files/customcontent/wallpaper/cbc059-310x200.jpg

Last edited by Triton Thrasher on 14:58 - 22 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
Shark Vancore. That is the only open faced helmet I can think of what isn't gay as fuck in fact it is quite cool.

Not as cool as AGV Tartaruga though.

On a similar theme, i like the look of the DRAK range too

https://www.shark-helmets.com/metro.html

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:54 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do realise he was asking for recommendations for goggles/glasses and not helmets right?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be new here. Whistle

The practicality (or otherwise) of googols might factor into the decision whether to go for a chin-grinder at all.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:15 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
People do realise he was asking for recommendations for goggles/glasses and not helmets right?

Then he's wrong!

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what stinkwheel said is true, I was just going to get a cheap open face lid. I've got an Shoei Neotec 2 that is my daily helmet but the open face is just for nice days. Hence why I was asking about glasses or goggles.

Sorry for the late reply been having a few problems with one of the bikes and working nights takes time away.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:06 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/201/military-sunglasses

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the bottom of the page, isn't it funny how open face lids are so much dearer now they are hip.(ster)
I bought one for a car trackday a few years ago and it was a whopping 20quid.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:28 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Open faced helmet goggles/glasses road use Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Considering getting an open faced helmet I know there won't be that many on here. But those that do can anyone recommend any glasses/goggles.

take a look at the shark helmets, they do open face, 50%50 and modular helmets. i really wouldnt use a normal open face for lack of chin protection but take a look at those to see if theres anything that takes your fancy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1