Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MP realises that stolen recovery fees are unjust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:42 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: MP realises that stolen recovery fees are unjust Reply with quote

Bennetts, as usual.

Showboating in Parliament:

How would the Prime Minister feel if someone pinched her car and it then cost her £200 to get it back? That is what is happening to hundreds of people. Why does she not allow the police to use proceeds of crime returns to recover legitimate costs and put an end to this state-sponsored secondary mugging of innocent victims?

Sadly, Hansard voting records online only go back to 2010, so we can't see whether McCabe voted Aye, Ye Will So or Gonnae No on the Traffic Management Act 2004 which passed while he was an MP.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/18/schedule/11/paragraph/3
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/18/schedule/11/paragraph/4

Probably won't go anywhere, but at least - at the very least - the issue has been raised.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:00 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised this exact thing with my MP years back and the reply was "Well you're insured aren't you?".

This was having explained in my letter that the vehicle had no engine in and as such was not insured and was also "recovered" from within 100yds of my property. I also intimated policemans ball tickets were probably being regularly purchased by the recovery company.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:36 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I've been through this with Leicestershire Police and all I ever got back was "well who else would pay for it?" and "but your insurance company will cover it".

I believe the ACPO guidelines (that are not law but never mind) also say they should at least ask the owner before recovering the vehicle, but I've not heard a peep twice now - it is always already at the recovery place before further contact is made.

This is my only dealing with the Police in my whole life and I already hate them for it. No one knew why they could charge the owner. No one would even read the legislation that they quote that supposedly gives them the right to recover stolen vehicles. Bastards.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: MP realises that stolen recovery fees are unjust Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
at the very least

Ah, the old gubermunt. That's all they'll do. The Very Least, in the time they feel just, at the most cost and only, ONLY when there's a backhander to suit all involved.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't they add the costs to the criminals sentence? Make the people who stole the vehicle pay, not the owner.

Anyway, why do we have a victim surcharge if it isn't to pay the victim compensation etc. The person with their bike stolen is actually a victim (although sometimes you wouldn't think it Rolling Eyes ).

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Why can't they add the costs to the criminals sentence? Make the people who stole the vehicle pay, not the owner.

That would imply that they had successfully prosecuted someone for the crime..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:26 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The person responsible for paying for the recovery is the the person who left the vehicle in the place from where it was recovered, i.e. the thief.

The person responsible for paying for release is the vehicle owner.

Which makes no allah-damned sense, but that's what the Court of Appeals decided.

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1997/2073.html

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:50 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:

I believe the ACPO guidelines (that are not law but never mind) also say they should at least ask the owner before recovering the vehicle, but I've not heard a peep twice now - it is always already at the recovery place before further contact is made.

Indeed. Because most bikers will already be paying for their own recovery service anyway.

In fact, even if you report a motorcycle as stolen and specifically request they contact you before calling out recovery if it's found because you have your own. Even if you give them a telephone number which is constantly manned, they STILL use their own recovery then call you to tell you they've recovered it and expect you to be pleased with your £250 bill (and remember, you still have to have it recovered from the recovery yard).

But presumably those other recovery firms do NOT purchase tickets for the policemans ball. So it's understandable why they'd want to use their own firm first.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, is that compulsory? As in if you have an absolute shitter stolen and it's not worth the recovery fees, if you tell them you won't be picking it up and you aren't paying a penny, can they come after you for the money?

Any cases you have come across in you 'I-Spy Loopholes' book?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:37 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always did agree with the consensus above; but...
There's if 'someone else' pays, the system is open to more not less abuse by the recovery companies.
Also it should be noted that while it's very good money for them - they do have to provide other services like forensic bays - however whether these costs should be covered by those who had vehicles stolen is another matter.
At the scene of an accident I mentioned to a policeman about seeing if the rider had AA cover to recover his bike to save him some money - "I'm not waiting around for the AA to come" - which isn't unreasonable, actually. Way-back Korn had similar; his bike was stolen before it could be recovered by his own means, while he was in A&E.

I absolutely do think the victim should be able to say "I'll arrange my own recovery" - but there is still the question of time frames and who will be responsible if it is then re-stolen."

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:20 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
if you have an absolute shitter stolen and it's not worth the recovery fees, if you tell them you won't be picking it up and you aren't paying a penny, can they come after you for the money?

I don't believe so. They can't wring the recovery fees out of you, and the release fees are an alternative to them disposing of the vehicle that they stole from you after it was stolen from you.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Roger, is that compulsory? As in if you have an absolute shitter stolen and it's not worth the recovery fees, if you tell them you won't be picking it up and you aren't paying a penny, can they come after you for the money?

Any cases you have come across in you 'I-Spy Loopholes' book?

Nah, I've told recovery companies to keep the car before and never been come after for fees. Hendy Ford di try and charge me storage when an old capri was recovered to them but gave up in the end.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1