Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MT-125 for short rider?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: MT-125 for short rider? Reply with quote

Hi guys, as some of you may know I currently have a YBR 125 and still on my learner licence. I did set my heart on the R3 eventually somewhere down the line, but just recently the MT series is really growing on me. I didn't check them out much before but now, I really love the look and style of the bikes. So after a bit of thinking I am debating wether to sell my YBR, get an MT-125 and stay with that for a while instead of rushing my test and going for the R3 (which was my original plan). Question is, the seat height on the MT-125 is an inch an half more than the YBR, and as a short bloke at 5 foot 3/4 on a good day, I am worried it maybe too much for me? Any short riders out their with an MT-125 that can help me out a little? Lol.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:16 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: MT-125 for short rider? Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
Hi guys, as some of you may know I currently have a YBR 125 and still on my learner licence. I did set my heart on the R3 eventually somewhere down the line, but just recently the MT series is really growing on me. I didn't check them out much before but now, I really love the look and style of the bikes. So after a bit of thinking I am debating wether to sell my YBR, get an MT-125 and stay with that for a while instead of rushing my test and going for the R3 (which was my original plan). Question is, the seat height on the MT-125 is an inch an half more than the YBR, and as a short bloke at 5 foot 3/4 on a good day, I am worried it maybe too much for me? Any short riders out their with an MT-125 that can help me out a little? Lol.

I'm 5ft 5 with a short inside leg. Don't let it bother you. The only type of bike I can't ride is giant trailies/adventure. You learn to live with it with experience. I could easily ride an MT125, but I have ridden countless other taller bikes, and the worst of them I've slid off the seat to put my feet down.

Ignoring the height thing for a moment... Don't buy an MT125. They are expensive, and not much faster than your YBR. Do your test, sell your YBR and buy something decent. I wouldn't buy an R3 personally either, a ER6, SV650 etc will be better. More power, better brakes, just as good suspension.

I've never understood why any learner would sell one 125 and buy another 125. Why not just use that transition to do your test and buy a bigger bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SantiV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:19 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with the MT 125 (they doo look nice though!), but if you're going to sell YBR and get another 125, I wouldn't recommend it.. I'd just invest the money on training and test fees.
MT 125's wont be cheap, not a decent one anyway!

I'd stick to the YBR and get your tests done Smile

I spent 6 months on an MSX and did my tests for a bigger bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:32 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: MT-125 for short rider? Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
after a bit of thinking I am debating wether to sell my YBR, get an MT-125 and stay with that for a while

Ha ha. No.

Go and ride a bigger bike, it'll very rapidly make your mind up.

There are plenty of bikes with factory or aftermarket lowering options, and you're not getting any taller, so there's no point in prevaricating about the bush.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point guys. I appreciate that input and it makes complete sense. I am definately looking into a 300cc bike though. Daft as it sounds, i have a little outhouse in the back garden, and the angle i've got to put the bike into to is so freaking awkward, therefore anything bigger than a 300cc bike, at my height and weight, i just don't think i'm gonna manage it. As I'm renting as well our landlord won't let me knock the bricks out and make another door lol. I think the MT-03 would be perfect for me further down the line. I just love the look of the MT series at the moment, they look badass.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:13 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
Fair point guys. I appreciate that input and it makes complete sense. I am definately looking into a 300cc bike though. Daft as it sounds, i have a little outhouse in the back garden, and the angle i've got to put the bike into to is so freaking awkward, therefore anything bigger than a 300cc bike, at my height and weight, i just don't think i'm gonna manage it. As I'm renting as well our landlord won't let me knock the bricks out and make another door lol. I think the MT-03 would be perfect for me further down the line. I just love the look of the MT series at the moment, they look badass.

Why not get an MT07 then? They weigh 14kg more than a Yamaha R3 for reference, so not much in it!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:15 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:

I expect cubic capacity has no bearing on whether the bike will fit in your shed. The only thing that is relevant is whether it'll fit in your shed! Don't get hung up on 300cc bikes. It's not an obvious path like it used to be. In my day 400cc bikes were better than the 500cc starter bikes of these days. They handled better, they had more power and they had superior suspension components. I even think they looked better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Maico 700 would fit in your shed easier.

MT03 is or was a 660cc engine.
MT07 would be your best bet if you want relatively new.

Ignore engine size. Just don't be a spastic and you'll be OK.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:28 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
A Maico 700 would fit in your shed easier.

MT03 is or was a 660cc engine.
MT07 would be your best bet if you want relatively new.

Ignore engine size. Just don't be a spastic and you'll be OK.

The early MT-03 was a 660 single yes, but the current MT03 is a 300cc twin.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep this up, I will PM Tef and summon him to this thread.

In the meantime: stop THINKINGE, start RIDINGE.

Whatever bike you use to get your A2 or A licence is, in practice, going to be at least 500cc, more likely 650cc, and weigh somewhere in excess of 180kg.

Until you've obtained that licence on that bike, you're not going to be parking anything bigger than a 125 in your hutch.

Licence first, then bike shopping. It may turn out that MT-03 is indeed your ideal bike - I'd quite like to try one - but you're not going to know until you've shown you're capable of riding something bigger.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say MT-125, you mean YAMAHA MT-125
https://classic-motorbikes.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/13711.jpg
When you 'just' say MT125.. that, incy little 'over-the counter' two-stroke GP bike of the late 70's is what springs into my warped mind... along with the answer to "For short riders?"... "YES!!!"....

Many decades ago, some-one deturmined to get me away from School-Boy Trials, said "Road-Racing! The MANS sport! You can race a 125 at 14 you know!".... and arranged a try-out on a mates MT125 for me.... I was only 15, and I DWARFED the ruddy thing! I got 'knee-down'... both sides! On the straight! I was just nudging 6-foot before I left school, and I the thing was so diddy I had to ride it with my knees either side of the fairing, as I couldn't get them behind it, or with bum-stop pretence of a seat, shuffle back on the saddle!

B-U-T not the bike you are thinking off.....

Answer to YAMAHA MT-125 or tests... for ANY-ONE of ANY verticle incumbance, the answer is GET THE FCUKING LICENCE!

Whether you intend to stay on a tiddler or not, get OFF L's and get a licence; earn your road room, and proove you have at least half what it takes to survive the SMIDSYs....

THEN.. with licence to ride... the question will probably irrelevent.... unlikely you will have ANY interest in tiddlers for a long while, and you'll rue the fact you can 'only' have 45bhp on an A2 ticket, and be trying to work out what you can get that looks like it might be restricted on paper!

But either which way, stuff the window-shopping... go do something useful like some theory test practice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: MT-125 for short rider? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Jamieking86 wrote:
after a bit of thinking I am debating wether to sell my YBR, get an MT-125 and stay with that for a while

Ha ha. No.

Go and ride a bigger bike, it'll very rapidly make your mind up.

There are plenty of bikes with factory or aftermarket lowering options, and you're not getting any taller, so there's no point in prevaricating about the bush.

This. Really nothing else to say. I like my 125 but still; this. Bigger bikes are generally better in every way. I only like mine in addition to my bigger bikes.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:43 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
When you say MT-125, you mean YAMAHA

But either which way, stuff the window-shopping... go do something useful like some theory test practice.

Already done my theory Smile I dd it a week after my CBT.

As i'm self employed and the weather is pretty shoddy right now, I am waiting to get back to work full time before booking any lessons on the bigger bikes or considering the MT-125. It was just another option i was looking at.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1