Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My Insurance Just Doubled

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: My Insurance Just Doubled Reply with quote

Not that I blame the insurance companies at all.

All the 'ped thefts in London are pushing the premiums through the roof.

But apparently if I knock off commuting cover (into Londonistan) I could get covered for a similar price to last year.

Which isn't much use to me since that's a large part of what I use the bike for.

So it looks like proper bikers are paying the price for the 'ped boys (and the Met's reluctance to deal with them).

Sad times.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:28 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

#bikelife

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claim the difference back from your bike manufacturer, after all, it's their fault!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I say this everytime this kinda topic comes up, but have you checked everyone's least favourite insurer MCE?

TPO:
MCE = £275
Bikesure (next cheapest) £957

F&T:
MCE = £426
Triumph Ins' (next cheapest) = £1087

Fully Comp':
MCE = £603
Bikesure (next cheapest) = £2366

Sure MCE have a rapey excess of £1325 (£800/£850 excess for Triumph and Bikesure respectively) but that doesn't explain the difference in prices. There never used to be such a gap Neutral

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:04 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I know I say this everytime this kinda topic comes up, but have you checked everyone's least favourite insurer MCE?

TPO:
MCE = £275

F&T:
MCE = £426

Fully Comp':
MCE = £603

Sure MCE have a rapey excess of £1325 (£800/£850 excess for Triumph and Bikesure respectively) but that doesn't explain the difference in prices. There never used to be such a gap Neutral

Yep, tried 'em.

Marginally cheaper but rapey excess.

Might as well go third party only and get it over with.

(come to mench, should've kept the old bike and done just that).

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:33 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in London? If not did they ask you where you commute to? My insurance never has.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:56 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
M.C wrote:

TPO:
MCE = £275

F&T:
MCE = £426

Fully Comp':
MCE = £603

Yep, tried 'em.

Marginally cheaper but rapey excess.

Might as well go third party only and get it over with.

(come to mench, should've kept the old bike and done just that).

With MCE i was able to get £0 excess on TPO but then again i dont live in London or have an expensive bike...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
With MCE i was able to get £0 excess on TPO but then again i dont live in London or have an expensive bike...

They're referring to TPFT and FC policies re excess. TPO polices don't have excess because they cover the other party and nothing to do with you. In short TPO is there to satisfy the pockets of someone you'll never meet because "legal requirement."

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:35 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
adengtg wrote:

They're referring to TPFT and FC policies re excess. TPO polices don't have excess because they cover the other party and nothing to do with you. In short TPO is there to satisfy the pockets of someone you'll never meet because "legal requirement."

oh shit right
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quotes have started getting a lot cheaper for TPFT vs TPO, like 50% cheaper. This is despite a commute into central London from Enfield.

Also, 8k mileage (minimum to cover my commute 50 weeks a year) is significantly more expensive than 6k.

What makes sense for me right now is to split my commute across a couple of bikes, on different policies.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not living in london two k100s and a srad 600 (which has been replaced with the third k100) is £100 tpft. Not bad with 3 points and two none fault claims.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Glad I'm not living in london two k100s and a srad 600 (which has been replaced with the third k100) is £100 tpft. Not bad with 3 points and two none fault claims.

Genuine question, why three of the same bike?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Except you live in Stoke and you have 3 K100's which is enough to make most people think seriously about suicide.
If you tried modern bikes you would realise just how much things had progressed in 20+ years and give it a few rough winters and you will remember the mild winters of Bristol fondly. Thumbs Up

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:35 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it not all boil down to the age old question of "honesty" with regards to insurance.

my "friend" tells them he lives at his parents (nicer area) does less han 2k miles and keeps his car locked in a garage overnight - and has done for the last 10 years.. he pays pence

my other "friend" is Mr honest and pays thru his bumhole

one will get raped if he crashes however..

your choice

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

You missed his crash history?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:55 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

You sold an SRAD600, and replaced it with ANOTHER K100?

Sammy, when you have multiple bikes it's pretty simple. You have one all rounder, one sportsbike for scratching, one track bike and a classic, maybe an off roader? But three of the same does seem pretty flipping crazy.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:36 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

Also, 8k mileage (minimum to cover my commute 50 weeks a year) is significantly more expensive than 6k.

Me too. When I was talking to the guys at Bemoto, They said this was the main factor for the higher cost of my insurance (£260 fully comp) My mileage is down as 10k, 8-10 was roughly the same, but as barrkel says, 6k was a lot cheaper.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

One is a winter hack that cost me £500 which passed an mot with no problems it has also got a motad exhaust on that when I come to strip could be sold for £300. OR I can take it off and put it on the other bike and then sell the bike for £500. The other two are the same year so if anything goes wrong on one I can check it on the other.

sickpup wrote:

Except you live in Stoke and you have 3 K100's which is enough to make most people think seriously about suicide.
If you tried modern bikes you would realise just how much things had progressed in 20+ years and give it a few rough winters and you will remember the mild winters of Bristol fondly. Thumbs Up

Yes it's stoke and I will miss the winters in bristol as well as the nice runs to south east england and south wales. However at least up here I could afford to invest the compensation into a house that I can eventually call my own. Down in bristol that was not going to be possible.

I've not seen any recent bikes that actually appeal to me most of them have gone butt ugly with headlights and exhausts. The only ones that actually appeal to me are the modern classics like the new CB1100 or the SCR950. Not paying 5k upwards just for the same thing I've already got just backdated 30 years.

MarJay wrote:

You sold an SRAD600, and replaced it with ANOTHER K100?

Sammy, when you have multiple bikes it's pretty simple. You have one all rounder, one sportsbike for scratching, one track bike and a classic, maybe an off roader? But three of the same does seem pretty flipping crazy.

Yes I sold the SRAD I rode it once after sorting it out and then found out it was hurting my wrists. Can't do sport bikes puts too much weight on the wrist. Wouldn't even want to risk the off roading element with it as it still hurts even to this day sometimes. So I'm limited to street bikes, cruisers are too low down and hurt my knee. Adventure bikes; yikes please seriously no. There isn't much left.

So when it's sorted two K's one which will be a scrambler/cafe racer/interesting but weird style. An the other will be my daily bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1