Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:55 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Well, i was wanting to get it asap. i was expecting to order around £1500 worth of gear. Get geared offers up to 24 months 0% interest finance with 10% deposit.

£1,500?? You must be joking. Here's an alternative for you. You have a cheap 125 which I assume you need to commute on. You need reasonable warm, waterproof kit to do up to 60mph for reasonably short periods of time.

The solution therefore, is to take the £150 which you were going to use as a deposit, save another £100 over the next couple months and use that cash to buy the whole lot cash in hand. Sounds like you already have a helmet at least, so £150-200 for a set of second hand textiles, some decent army surplus boots and a decent set of gloves is by no means impossible.

I picked up an A* andes jacket and trousers off ebay for £180 delivered. Hardly worn. I commuted all last year in that kit, 3 hour round trip, motorway and A road, summer and winter. More than good enough for the job you need it to do. Another £50 for goretex lined gloves, £30 for some milsurp boots and a decent jumper and you should be laughing. Maybe £300 max.

Taking out finance to spend £1500 on brand new kit when you are 18 and 'cant afford a varadero' is nothing short of stupidity. So there.

Well, i can buy a varadero if i were to sell my current bike, easily. Just not until around april

why is spending that much on kit a bad idea? isnt safety important? this will be kit for the next 5+years. I am horizontally gifted so finding 2nd hand gear is difficult. £1500 is alot yes as i picked the higher end gear to last as long as possible. i did pick a helmet that was £400 but i wouldnt really buy that as im bound to come off a few more times. My current gear is a £50 kevlar hoodie which is falling apart already, £15 gloves which are almost useless at this point, a £50 helmet which ive already taken a fall on(not much head impact or i wouldnt have kept it) and £30 textile trousers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:23 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Well, i can buy a varadero if i were to sell my current bike, easily. Just not until around april

why is spending that much on kit a bad idea? isnt safety important? this will be kit for the next 5+years. I am horizontally gifted so finding 2nd hand gear is difficult. £1500 is alot yes as i picked the higher end gear to last as long as possible. i did pick a helmet that was £400 but i wouldnt really buy that as im bound to come off a few more times. My current gear is a £50 kevlar hoodie which is falling apart already, £15 gloves which are almost useless at this point, a £50 helmet which ive already taken a fall on(not much head impact or i wouldnt have kept it) and £30 textile trousers.

Safety is important, sure, but once you get into mid range and above kit, it's all much of a muchness.

Expensive kit will possibly be a bit more comfortable in terms of breathability and waterproofness, but for the use you're using it for? You probably wouldn't notice.

Higher price dosn't guarantee it'll last any better either, again, buy any good quality brand and it'll last 5years+ of 'normal' commuter duties no bother. Might be a different matter if you were a courier or going on a big tour where you'd be wearing it day in, day out for 8 hours, but for a 'standard' commute of say 45mins and playtime in the summer on weekends? Not worth it.

Worth considering as well, that if you fall of the bike, you'll need to replace the helmet, doesn't matter if it's a £50 one or a £500 one, it's a single use item (in theory at least). Same for the clothing, fall of in £1500 of kit and you're just as likely to tear a sleeve or wear the knee out the trousers as you would in £300 worth.

As always, it's a balance between cost and functionality, but really, if you need a loan to buy what are effectvely 'expendable' items, then you need to think about cheaper stuff.

My advice would be, if you really can't find stuff second hand due to your dimensions, then write down the features your jacket needs for your use, say waterproof textiles with knee and shoulder protection, option to fit a back protector, fleece or thermal lining for winter, decent venting for summer, well respected brand, then go to J&S and see what they have.

Try stuff on, see what fits, then come back nd ask about specific items to see what the consensus is. Then go online and buy the cheapest kit that fits the bill. Call it £400, job jobbed. You'll end up buying more kit over the years anyway, no point scratching up pretty new kit in the early days.

Of course, it's your money and you'll do whatever you want irrespective of what I say, but all I'm saying is, when you're sat there in 18 months time, still paying off your gear, which by now no longer looks so shiny and new, or may even be a write off, are you really gonna feel that you got good value for your money? Especially when that could be £1000 in your pocket towards an A2 bike?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:50 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Safety is important, sure, but once you get into mid range and above kit, it's all much of a muchness.

Expensive kit will possibly be a bit more comfortable in terms of breathability and waterproofness, but for the use you're using it for? You probably wouldn't notice.

Higher price dosn't guarantee it'll last any better either, again, buy any good quality brand and it'll last 5years+ of 'normal' commuter duties no bother. Might be a different matter if you were a courier or going on a big tour where you'd be wearing it day in, day out for 8 hours, but for a 'standard' commute of say 45mins and playtime in the summer on weekends? Not worth it.

Worth considering as well, that if you fall of the bike, you'll need to replace the helmet, doesn't matter if it's a £50 one or a £500 one, it's a single use item (in theory at least). Same for the clothing, fall of in £1500 of kit and you're just as likely to tear a sleeve or wear the knee out the trousers as you would in £300 worth.

As always, it's a balance between cost and functionality, but really, if you need a loan to buy what are effectvely 'expendable' items, then you need to think about cheaper stuff.

My advice would be, if you really can't find stuff second hand due to your dimensions, then write down the features your jacket needs for your use, say waterproof textiles with knee and shoulder protection, option to fit a back protector, fleece or thermal lining for winter, decent venting for summer, well respected brand, then go to J&S and see what they have.

Try stuff on, see what fits, then come back nd ask about specific items to see what the consensus is. Then go online and buy the cheapest kit that fits the bill. Call it £400, job jobbed. You'll end up buying more kit over the years anyway, no point scratching up pretty new kit in the early days.

Of course, it's your money and you'll do whatever you want irrespective of what I say, but all I'm saying is, when you're sat there in 18 months time, still paying off your gear, which by now no longer looks so shiny and new, or may even be a write off, are you really gonna feel that you got good value for your money? Especially when that could be £1000 in your pocket towards an A2 bike?

True, ill try to half what i originally set out at least. Thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:50 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Transporting bike + Cone filter? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
i dont think the van will have any anchor points to secure it down.

It better had do, or you'll be stuffed on the day. Find out.

Side stand and ratchet straps as above. You want the straps tight enough to slightly compress the suspension.

Cone filters only cost a few £££ so throw one on and see. Be prepared to increase the main jet size, but don't expect miracles. Expect harder starting and worse running.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:02 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If you put a cone filter on a bike you'll gain nothing, and probably trash the fuelling.

The best likely result would be a noisier bike that is only slightly slower than it is now.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Otherwise, it's 2 stroke time.

Are there still any, that'd be worth it, in the UK? 125cc two strokes seem to be rare here these days.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:14 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched some-one chuck a bike in a Fiat whatever it was 'van' once; slap down the side stand and start wamping in the ratchets...
"Its not getting any tighter!" he moaned......
No... but the side of the van's getting a lot more banana shaped!
Stand left a nice neat hole in the floor too.... he was offered a bit of ply-wood....

Maybe it was just 'cos it was a Fiat.......

But I wouldn't bet on it!

BEWARE the ratchet strap... they are very good at letting you ratchet up very very big tensile forces.... not always helpfully!

Used to cart trials-bikes to meets every-week, I have been stunned at just how 'weak' many habitually strap down bikes in the back... they really don't need a huge amount of tying down, just enough to make the suspension squash about as much as it would with the rider on it, not flat to the bump stops... while the side-to side support is far more important.... I have seen precious race bikes carted across the rough Irish sea in rusty old tyranny vans, strapped down with little more than bailer-twine, but 'wedged' in place with an old mattress to stop them rocking side to side.... and come home again!

As to the pod filter.... lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

So the cash flow is expected. So why bothering with loans? There are some things you should never take a loan for and motorcycles are one of those things. Wink

Well, i was wanting to get it asap. i was expecting to order around £1500 worth of gear. Get geared offers up to 24 months 0% interest finance with 10% deposit.

Honestly, don't spend £1500 worth of credit on bike clothes. Some people argue the 0% period is "free" money, and yes in theory, it is, assuming you had that £1500 and invested it, and were careful to pay it off before being charged the full interest.

I reckon £500 maximum should do you for some good gear.

For perspective, riding bikes for 11 years, I have bought (some were gifts or handed down to me by friends, but I have priced them up anyway):

HJC FG15 - £100
Caberg justissimo £150
Spada jacket - £100
Trousers - £100
gloves spada - £40
Furygan boots - £100
alpinestars 2 piece second hand £150
alpinestars boots - £100
Alpinestars gloves - £100
rst jacket - £50
Rst jacket 2 - £50
frank thomas jacket £100

So roughly £1k for 11 years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2