Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclist charged with manslaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:58 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
A reasonably balanced article on the subject (which will no doubt enrage someone Wink): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41346237

Al Beeb wrote:
following the death of pedestrian Kim Briggs, who was struck by cyclist [sic] while crossing the road.

https://i.imgur.com/yQy5BFe.png
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
2006? We've highlighted 3 pedestrian deaths due to cyclists this last year alone in this thread. I bet there's a few more.

I'm not sure you're claiming with the running part, 4 runners who had heart attacks or whatever on a run, did not kill any pedestrians did they?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove here. We're talking danger to pedestrians, not self inflicted health issues. How many pedestrians are killed by joggers as was claimed? Apparently joggers are as dangerous as cyclists.

Doubtful there are many more. Between 2006-2010 the high point was 6 in 2007 and 0 in 2009 (Not sure about that one). Generally seems to shake out about 2-3 though.

What I am trying to point out, is that you seem far more interested in penalising cyclists than in actually preventing deaths. The number of pedestrians killed by cyclists is so small it is lost in the statistical noise of daily life, the risk is so insignificantly small it's hardly worth considering.
Why is the huge expense, bureaucracy and trouble of a licensing scheme for cyclists worth it when it will save less than 1/10 of the people who die falling off ladders? What is the end game? To stop people dying? Licensing is probably the least efficient way to do that.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
We had 3 in as many months on this thread didn't we? I'll bet that when the real stats come out for this year, that it will be the worst on record.

How about some recent stats?

Quote:
There were 79 pedestrians killed or seriously injured (KSI) by bikes in urban areas in 2012, so that’s one KSI per 75 million miles walked.

The original article is behind the Times paywall.

Recent Stats? Well DfT record less than 3 killed and 39 seriously injured in urban areas (2014)

rates of deaths by cyclist have come nowhere near topping 10 in any one year, so I'd be surprised if we manage it this year. I guess we will see but even if it were to crack 10 (of which there is no sign), it would still be a figure of such total insignificance it couldn't possibly be worth the time, effort and money to enforce this idea of licencing.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are towards the end of the 9th month in the year, so pretty close to the end. And the title death of this thread was February 2016 - so last year, not this.

How about you show the stats for this massacre? You consistently fail to do so yet berate everyone else for failing to disprove your claim. Pretty much every death caused by a cyclist makes national news - should be easy to prove that there have been more than a handful this year if your constant, unproven assertion is true.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:38 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
2014. We've seen 3 in the last year on this thread alone...

Yes, 2014. Those were the most recent figures I could find (and be bothered to dig out from the DfT travesty of a website). Strange how figures from 2006-2010 and 2014 are both too old to be of value, but figures from 2012 that you used are not? Thinking

You have made the claim that this thread has shown 3 already, what are they? As bamt points out, the title case didn't occur in this year and we are almost into October. Nothing indicates a higher than average year except your consistent (unsupported) claims about carnage on the pavements at the hands of cyclists.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:21 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
janner_10 wrote:
I really thought this tosser would of flounced by now.

"Have".

Would've

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/04/death-by-dangerous-cycling-offence-to-be-introduced-reports
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17