Eye irritation from riding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Wear a DECENT pair of wrap round eye protectors under your helmet.

Something like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-tracker-ii-clear-lens-safety-specs/43500

I say decent because the cheap ones are likely to give blurred vision on the peripherals.

Tried riding with plain wrap around safety specs, Fogged up immediately as there is a 5mm gap around them. Might get a pair of these, but the black frame would block peripheral vision

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:44 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found cheap hipster glasses that cover more of your face and the visor opened a crack dealt with eye or visor issues..

MCN wrote:

And what is wrong with Specsavers?

We were all raped by opticians years ago when they could spunk into our eyes for plastic frames and lenses they bough cheap and sold to the NHS and private vision impaired for extortionate prices. The Baaaastarts.

Specsavers broke that fukin' pattern of theft.

I'd wager cheap eastern goods did more for that.

Also there's the question of what's covered under the state funded eye tests and whether places like specsavers are doing all the tests they should.

Last edited by Jmoan on 16:43 - 04 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:09 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Tried riding with plain wrap around safety specs, Fogged up immediately as there is a 5mm gap around them. Might get a pair of these, but the black frame would block peripheral vision

You usually need to get moving a little first before pushing them fully onto your face. Once you've got moving, they are generally ok for the rest of the ride. This is from someone who finds pinlocks steam up to the point of uselessness.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
kramdra wrote:

You usually need to get moving a little first before pushing them fully onto your face. Once you've got moving, they are generally ok for the rest of the ride. This is from someone who finds pinlocks steam up to the point of uselessness.

I have never used a pinlock, suggest that is probably your choice of lid. Try a shark race-r or one with a similar front vent. Ive decided the bolle trackers do unacceptably limit peripheral vision on life saver checks. I will keep them as safety specs as they are intended, for using lathe/grinding.

When I need to stop suddenly, in a bad situation? Do you pull them away from your face? I do not see this as a safe situation. I may try to modify the clear ones with a minimal bottom skirt to prevent the fogging.

Welcome suggestions for a non-leaky lid.

Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:12 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

When I need to stop suddenly, in a bad situation? Do you pull them away from your face?

Nah. Once I'm going, they tend not to steam up again unless I get myself really overheated. It's just that first bit of getting on the bike, starting and getting moving where they steam up.

In fact, stopping suddenly or finding my vision impaired is pretty much WHY I wear the glasses because my visor steams up, I can just flip it up out of the way and still have some eye protection.

It occurrs to me that your helmet maybe has a face mask type thing? That would tend to steam up any glasses.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:42 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My glasses don't steam up and I don't tend to feel any wind or wet inside my lid.

Shark Skwal, no I'd not recommend one because I hate Sharks customer service with a passion.

It is however, a superb lid and coming from someone who has to wear glasses, I'm pretty blind without... its fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2