Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

AJS flasher relay and wiring diagram

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: AJS flasher relay and wiring diagram Reply with quote

Ok, so trying to get an AJS working properly for a friend. Sticker on sidepanel says Regal Raptor, looks like a Daytona on their website.

Wiring loom has been butchered, there are signs of an immobiliser at some point, rear brake light switch and sidestand interlock missing and the indicators don't flash, just stay on. We got it running consistently at least, but I could really use a wiring diagram to deal with the butchering, do these even exist for such.

Even a hint to where the flasher relay is supposed to be would be helpful.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:00 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowie's AJS Regal-Raptor DD125E.. was essentially a Chinky Clone of the old Honda 125 Shaddow with the 125 Twin Benly motor.

Work-Shop data was virtually non-existant, and for even basic service stuff like doing the tappets, we had to look at the Honda CB125 Twin Haynes, then look at the bike, and make an educated guess.

Wiring? Ahrghh-apruimpton! Youy could be onto a nervous breakdown maker on that one!

Honda CM & CD wiring scematics are probably pretty close; but you would be doing a lot of double checking buzzing wires out with a multi-meter.

The ignition, is the common 360-timed 'common-trigger' total loss syetem as used on the CM & CD, and is essentially a stand a lone system, seperate from the charging and accessory circuits.

CDi takes power direct from the genny, as well as trigger feed, then there's one wire that 'makes' circuit to earth to 'kill' the ignition, which may vex some-one fitting an immobilizer, who could try splicing in on that, and having the imobgiliser turn on the ingnition rather than turn it off, depending on which way its relays latch; or splice in on the feed to the coil, and likelwise get stuff inverted.

That nugget absorbed, though shouldn't be too much hassle to work from scratch.

Pay attention to the ignition barel switch, though. Should use the generic small Honda barel, but they removed and blanked the 'earth to kill' CDi feed in the plug, on later models, and put it on a bullet connector out-side, so that they could wire it in series with side-stand and clutch inhibit switches.... with side stand cut-out's removed, that bit of circuit could now be going anywhere or hanging loose, doing almost anything!

Flasher? Indies on constant?

The Honda's used an old fashioned electro-mech flasher. About 20mm in diameter, round ali can. They are pretty generic & usually 'fairly' reliable, BUT... they are prone to filling with water, if seats left off in the rain.... usually under the seat BTW... and on the DD125, that's pretty ... yup that's about all... pretty! Wampy. ISTR it was bolted to the frame rails, and whilst there was still a lot of gubbins hidden under it and behind side panels getting to any of it when you wanted was a bit of a nightmare. Water OTOH seemed to find its way into that rats nest of the over fat back tire with inordinate ease!

If bikes been mullered with, you could have any number of issues there... but constant indies suggests that the flasher has been removed or by-passed and a constant feed given the indy switch, or it has succumbed to water ingress and failed open circuit the contacts jammed open or shorted out.

Simple two-pole flasher, it takes electric from the ignition switched live, and sends it to the indy switch that will send it left or right to make a circuit through blinkers.

On the little Honda's I swap them out for generic 10A two-pole electronic units off e-bay, that are about £3 from China, and cut the wires to fit Male lucar spades, to take the std looms connectors that would go on the OE flasher... they probably aren't as durable and only moderately more reliable, but they are work or no work devices, and a little less flakey when they break, with advantage they dont rely on a balenced resistance to flash at the right rate, so you can use after market blinkers with low watt bulbs, or LED's or even mismatched bulbs out of the re-claimed spares box, and the thing dont care!

If me? I would probably be yelling NOT-MY-BIKE-NOT-MY-PROBLEM! Loudly and often.... but sorting it anyway, ripping back to bare, and working from scratch, as if I had NO OE wires rather than trying to untangle spaghetti of potentially half arsed mods and improvised repairs... and it would probably fall into place, eventually with a lot of soldering.. and a ready supply of cups of coffee... and enough man hours, that had I done them stacking shelves in Tesco's rather than knitting electrics and getting solder burns, I could probably have bought a brand new Lexmoto with the cash...... but still. Dont cont the hours and dont price the labour you got that 'cheap-fix' every-one trying to fix up a clapped out old chink hopes for as the 'win' at the end!!!

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this from the MAJSOC facebook group ... any use?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1