Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thought about this byway?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:43 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Thought about this byway? Reply with quote

So, looking for legal places to ride and came across a fairly long byway that is clearly marked as "byway" both on signs and maps. problem is, on one end it has a strangely shaped metal fence and the other has wooden fences. its interesting that the wooden fences are easily big enough for motorcycles and a junction is marked out on the floor.Iwould have thought its to stop 4x4'sbut not bikes, same for the other one. pics will be included.

do you think its ok to ride here?

thanks for the help.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/io0vLWFJV7SWaCho1

--update-- looking at part of the continuing byway. no cars signs spottted, pics added

Pics are in a google album, just open the link.
(files were too high res for bcf as i need them to be detailed)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 04:00 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to it on a map pls. Wink

The signs say byway which is good enough for me but it looks like a boring byway so it wouldn't be of interest.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:09 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The signs say byway which is good enough for me but it looks like a boring byway so it wouldn't be of interest.

there are no good ones close to me, other than market rasen but ive been there before and want to do some different ones.
there was one marked as public highway near me but its been ruined by heavy cranes and such as somebody has decided to concrete over an empty field on the side of a hill.

https://www.bywaymap.com/
highlited green near adwick le street and wooodlands

on gmaps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.567652,-1.1868592,15z?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5752863,-1.2099681,17.75z?hl=en

Oh yeah, one part of it which has no gates and is marked, is completely overgrown to the point of not looking like any part of trail, that looks interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
.... completely overgrown to the point of not looking like any part of trail, that looks interesting.

some i know have "gone over" to trail/green lane, off roadin .. and although there is much more round here: acordin to the map link you put up ; there is still the problem of distance involved to get there :....

Having ridden a CRF250 round the back roads @ Rothbury i would not be travelin far on a machine such as that..
The only sensible suggestion i have is to buy a Van..

incidentally anyone got a gpx file of these byways or link where i could look for one ?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an old Roman Road, and removing historical access/roads is surprisingly difficult. Should be fine if it's classed as a BOAT. Prepare for self-righteous dog walkers, it's likely in more Urban areas.

Click this, clear the dialog box.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=53.5730&lon=-1.2076&layers=168&b=1

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The byway that goes south from Hampole might be better than the flat, straight one which used to be a roman road, at least it should have less dog walkers.

Other than that, you're going to need to look further away. Sad

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:34 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The byway that goes south from Hampole might be better than the flat, straight one which used to be a roman road, at least it should have less dog walkers.

Other than that, you're going to need to look further away. Sad
#

yeah, fucking gutted though. rode about two hours of getting lost in torrential rain to get to a byway that looked good. turn out the byway signs have been removed and it seems to now be a farm access road. its still classified as a boat but its been turned to sludge by tractors.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:35 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
adengtg wrote:
.... completely overgrown to the point of not looking like any part of trail, that looks interesting.

some i know have "gone over" to trail/green lane, off roadin .. and although there is much more round here: acordin to the map link you put up ; there is still the problem of distance involved to get there :....

Having ridden a CRF250 round the back roads @ Rothbury i would not be travelin far on a machine such as that..

incidentally anyone got a gpx file of these byways or link where i could look for one ?

Its arguably worse, 125cc supermoto on 50/50 tyres. did 75% of the journey today and apart form the rain and by extension getting lost it was ok

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:46 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
its still classified as a boat but its been turned to sludge by tractors.

That's a good thing.

You can make big splashes when going through the puddles and some of those puddles might be deeper than you expect.

https://i.imgur.com/Hw7FSF5.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
less dog walkers.

Like, Chihuahuas, Jack Russels, that sort of size?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Its arguably worse, 125cc supermoto on 50/50 tyres. did 75% of the journey today and apart form the rain and by extension getting lost it was ok

that would be a 4t .. once over i had a 2t.... bein a de-restricted DT125R .. and frankly that felt a lot quicker than that CRF250 ..
was ok @ the limited off roadin i did ...

i could not imagine goin anywhere on a 4t. 125cc... Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
adengtg wrote:

that would be a 4t .. once over i had a 2t.... bein a de-restricted DT125R .. and frankly that felt a lot quicker than that CRF250 ..
was ok @ the limited off roadin i did ...

i could not imagine goin anywhere on a 4t. 125cc... Shocked

What one? The CRF250L/M or X?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

What one? The CRF250L/M or X?

one of these..
https://www.newcastlemotorcycles.co.uk/new-honda-c13/adventure-bikes-c7/honda-crf250l-p42

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roman Ridge isn't particularly good - DMBC seem very keen on preventing motor vehicles on it too. There's the red ringing signs saying as much too. There's a few decent spots where 'I've seen' someone quietly riding round hurting no-one and minding his own business on land just off the path too but 'he' wasn't too popular with dog walkers and the rest either.
Have you tried the 'road' from Brodworth which goes north cross country? It's blocked at the northern end (or was when I last saw it)but you're legal on there and I think it's only blocked by dogooders stopping 'illegal' bikes on their path. I'll look on google maps and try and find it shortly. There's another in marr, albeit quite a short one. There's a reasonable one too Stainton way, which isn't too bad either.

Edit to say Brodsworth to Hampole.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Ste wrote:

there are no good ones close to me, other than market rasen but ive been there before and want to do some different ones.
there was one marked as public highway near me but its been ruined by heavy cranes and such as somebody has decided to concrete over an empty field on the side of a hill.

https://www.bywaymap.com/
highlited green near adwick le street and wooodlands

on gmaps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.567652,-1.1868592,15z?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5752863,-1.2099681,17.75z?hl=en

Oh yeah, one part of it which has no gates and is marked, is completely overgrown to the point of not looking like any part of trail, that looks interesting.

https://s20.postimg.org/6qi7x0cml/nobcat1.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/qxvnpb2e5/nobcat2.jpg

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:43 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
The Roman Ridge isn't particularly good - DMBC seem very keen on preventing motor vehicles on it too. There's the red ringing signs saying as much too. There's a few decent spots where 'I've seen' someone quietly riding round hurting no-one and minding his own business on land just off the path too but 'he' wasn't too popular with dog walkers and the rest either.
Have you tried the 'road' from Brodworth which goes north cross country? It's blocked at the northern end (or was when I last saw it)but you're legal on there and I think it's only blocked by dogooders stopping 'illegal' bikes on their path. I'll look on google maps and try and find it shortly. There's another in marr, albeit quite a short one. There's a reasonable one too Stainton way, which isn't too bad either.

Edit to say Brodsworth to Hampole.

yeah, i seen that one. the plan was to go down on the next suitable day and ride them all. i know that one is open, it was just this one i was having trouble with

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

04 Mar 2018 adengtg wrote:
the plan was to go down on the next suitable day and ride them all.

Best get a move on then.

02 March 2018 adengtg wrote:
Will be transporting bike from Hull to just north of the Forth crossing in Scotland this Thursday or Friday

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:17 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
04 Mar 2018 adengtg wrote:
the plan was to go down on the next suitable day and ride them all.

Best get a move on then.

02 March 2018 adengtg wrote:
Will be transporting bike from Hull to just north of the Forth crossing in Scotland this Thursday or Friday

exactly, limited time.
tomorrow is looking nice, might go down to market rasen as ive been there before so i know they byways are good.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:25 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Van? Razz

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a site near Scunthorpe where you turn up, pay, and ride round what I believe is an old quarry. It's not particularly cheap but if you're out Hull way anyhow....

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
There's also a site near Scunthorpe where you turn up, pay, and ride round what I believe is an old quarry. It's not particularly cheap but if you're out Hull way anyhow....

yeah, saw that one but i thought it might be a tough for a 125

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:

Van? Razz

yeah the variety you put your bike in the back and drive to the off road track or area...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1