Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Website Design/Building Software

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Website Design/Building Software Reply with quote

<csb> The last time I looked at web design, Geocities was still a thing, and a dodgy copy of Studio MX & free copy of Nemo(?) web editor from a magazine was all I needed. That gives you an idea of how long ago it was. Laughing </csb>

What are the cool kids using these days? I want to dabble, don't want/need to spend a big outlay, and would be nice to be able to do forms, iframes (is that still a thing?) or similar. Be nice to have either a fixed menu on the left of the site, or a horizontal menu across the top that has a dropdown. Plus points for minimal background junk shite so it doesn't hammer mobile browsing as much, or something to design mobile sites would be ace.

TIA Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Website Design/Building Software Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
What are the cool kids using these days?

Joomla.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no shortage of free templates to get you started, typically they use CSS which will be baffling at first.
Web Expressions 4 is free from Microsoft to edit
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=36179

I've used Dreamweaver for years, but increasingly that approach is sidelined by simple tools which require almost no coding knowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does WP still have the vulnerabilities it once did?

I'd like something that can be moved about (can WP do that?) and re-hosted on own server if necessary?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:07 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.wix.com is basically drag-and-drop creation.

Kind of like Microsoft Publisher, but you make a website instead.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I'm guessing you can't migrate to a different server?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like something that can be moved about (can WP do that?) and re-hosted on own server if necessary?

WordPress, Drupal and Joomla can all be moved around and stored on their own servers. I run two small WordPress sites and have moved them both twice. I've never had any security issues with either but I do have comments disabled and run a firewall plug in called Wordfence. There are some additonal considerations when running Wordfence that can cause breakages when you move it (even from one directory to another) however they're simple to resolve.

I think WordPress is a good tool for smaller websites and rapid building, particularly if you don't want to get too involved in the code. It's faorly flexible.

I run mine using Vidahost who've been totally reliable and are very reasonably priced for their cloud hosting. I previously had a VPS but since I only run those two small sites now it was overkill.

Last edited by kgm on 21:44 - 04 Mar 2018; edited 2 times in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:41 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wix is the modern day Geocities. Sick

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

WordPress, Drupal and Joomla can all be moved around and stored on their own servers. I run two small WordPress sites and have moved them both twice. I've never had any security issues with either but I do have comments disabled and run a firewall plug in called Wordfence. There are some additonal considerations when running Wordfence that can cause breakages when you move it (even from one directory to another) however they're simple to resolve.

I think WordPress is a good tool for smaller websites and rapid building, particularly if you don't want to get too involved in the code. It's faorly flexible.

I run mine using Vidahost who've been totally reliable and are very reasonably priced for their cloud hosting. I previously had a VPS but since I only run those two small sites now it was overkill.

Interesting. Would you mind perhaps PMing me a shot of your site(s)?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't Amazon Web Services king of the crapper when it comes to web hosting?

https://aws.amazon.com/getting-started/projects/host-static-website/

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Website Design/Building Software Reply with quote

What are the cool kids using these days? I want to dabble, don't want/need to spend a big outlay, and would be nice to be able to do forms, iframes (is that still a thing?) or similar. Be nice to have either a fixed menu on the left of the site, or a horizontal menu across the top that has a dropdown. Plus points for minimal background junk shite so it doesn't hammer mobile browsing as much, or something to design mobile sites would be ace.

Iframes are still a 'thing' just used in different ways. These days they're more embed/object elements or (if using angularjs like I do a lot of nowadays) using to include partial html files into your main template

If you're looking to get more into the coding side you can do a lot with html5 these days. If you want a db backend then you need to start looking into proper hosting or nosql etc..

For mobile supported sites have a read about 'bootstrap'. It's basically a css library with a few js script thrown in. Handy for creating responsive (resizing automatically for mobiles, hiding elements etc..) websites. Plenty of templates too that have the menus you're talking about.

For my work I use SQL db, C#/Razor(MVC) backend and AngularJS/HTML5 front-end. There are guys in the office who are WP developers but I've never looked into it in any depth.

good luck Smile

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Not sure to be honest. I just made a site then left it at that. Wasn't really fussed about going too deep on the professional web developy side of things because...

Ste wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Does what it says on the tin for people who want it quick and simple though.

supZ wrote:
There are guys in the office who are WP developers

Is WP developing actually a thing? Like a fully employable full time job kind of a thing?

I was under the impression that WP is just a slightly more bells and whistles version of Wix, or another 'modern geocities'. I've always associated 'Wordpress Developer' with 'blogger who learned HTML HTML and wrote a line of PHP once'.

Having said that, my mate once asked me to look at his WP site and I couldn't figure it out at all Laughing . Fuck PHP Laughing.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:02 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
M.C wrote:

Not sure to be honest. I just made a site then left it at that. Wasn't really fussed about going too deep on the professional web developy side of things because...

Ste wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Does what it says on the tin for people who want it quick and simple though.

I've not tried Wix but the ones I have tried had fairly major limitations. I remember with (free)webs you couldn't reach your website if you left out the www. (even with a domain) Rolling Eyes

Lord Percy wrote:
supZ wrote:
There are guys in the office who are WP developers

Is WP developing actually a thing? Like a fully employable full time job kind of a thing?

I was under the impression that WP is just a slightly more bells and whistles version of Wix, or another 'modern geocities'. I've always associated 'Wordpress Developer' with 'blogger who learned HTML HTML and wrote a line of PHP once'.

Having said that, my mate once asked me to look at his WP site and I couldn't figure it out at all Laughing . Fuck PHP Laughing.

That's one downside to a CMS. I managed to essentially lock myself out of my website as it was setup with a domain, which I let expire as I planned to move the website to a free domain, but I couldn't work out how Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WordPress is pretty powerful once you get into it. It's way more than just a blog plarform now although I think drupal scales better. Drupal just doesn't the have such a large collection of free plug ins and WP is easier to use for building smaller sites.

You don't have to host a WP site on their servers either - you can run an install on your own server which gives you more control and direct database access.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Apparently so, don't know what they exactly but the company hosts sites for people and basically does all the setup, design, custom scripts etc.. for the client.

It's a different company but owned by the same group so I don't have a lot of contact with them to know what they're up to.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can write a website using notepad. But all these programs you speak of scare me.
I'd start by finding a template you like and editing it using notepad or brackets.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I can write a website using notepad. But all these programs you speak of scare me.
I'd start by finding a template you like and editing it using notepad or brackets.

That's all fine and well for a very simple static site but for anything modern and interactive it's an awful lot of work - especially for someone like the OP who by the sounds of things hasn't done any coding since the days of using tables for layouts. A lot to be learned in terms of CSS, modern HTML standards, etc. even just for static stuff.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
M.C wrote:

Apparently so, don't know what they exactly but the company hosts sites for people and basically does all the setup, design, custom scripts etc.. for the client.

It's a different company but owned by the same group so I don't have a lot of contact with them to know what they're up to.

I don't remember saying that Thinking

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nested quote fail Embarassed

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build all of my websites in WordPress, there is a difference with the WP hosted blog and the actual CMS. it's super flexible and a load of themes out there which you can add/remove functionality and stylings.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:56 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
fatjames wrote:

That's all fine and well for a very simple static site but for anything modern and interactive it's an awful lot of work - especially for someone like the OP who by the sounds of things hasn't done any coding since the days of using tables for layouts. A lot to be learned in terms of CSS, modern HTML standards, etc. even just for static stuff.

Notepad for writing code sounds like a version of hell to me.

Visual Studio, auto-indent, auto-complete, smart-filter, keyboard shortcuts galore Very Happy That's more like it.

To not use those things, would be like a mechanic deciding he'd rather use his hands to change a tyre, even with a tyre-changing machine in plain sight.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
kgm wrote:

Notepad for writing code sounds like a version of hell to me.

Visual Studio, auto-indent, auto-complete, smart-filter, keyboard shortcuts galore Very Happy That's more like it.

To not use those things, would be like a mechanic deciding he'd rather use his hands to change a tyre, even with a tyre-changing machine in plain sight.

I know what you mean, I'm sure if I had need to do something more in depth than what I do, I could learn how to use something a bit more modern.
I found CSS quite easy to learn so can do a fair amount in notepad. JQeury can do quite a lot for you too.
I tend to find doing websites (or anything that requires IT concentration) easier while I'm sat at my desk in work.. where I can't install anything on my laptop Sad
A lot of the sites I've done have been for small sole traders, like a mobile beautician and a guy who sells heavy metal themed comic books that he writes. Nothing too fancy pants.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1