Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XR 125 L6 Flasher Relay madness ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:46 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: XR 125 L6 Flasher Relay madness ... Reply with quote

Good evening all
I wonder if we know why I'm having so much trouble finding this indicator relay..
The only thing in the parts manual shows no 14 as the relay,[the parts manual and service manual are for the same bike!?]
there are no other 'relay' part numbers,only the one at 14,so I cant work out what the part number actually is..

This is it but searching 'JD19' brings nothing related to relays:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XR-125-JD19-flasher-relay-indicator-relay/282649699799?hash=item41cf3c25d7:g:M4YAAOSw~CFY7hO7

searching indicator relays for this bike only bring up those square 3 pole types,so I'm lucky to have found that one pic of it,but alas!..Still
no part number in their description...

Can you just get a universal part with same spec,or what?
I had a terrible time swapping it for an LED type some time ago and in the end put this back on,but recently the indi's are only coming on intermittently or not at all and when I rev engine they flicker and die..
I obviously need to know that I can get hold of one if I need to change it ,but Im surprised how difficult this thing is to track down.
Any thoughts would be welcome,
Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:04 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From CMSL, exact same scematic, but with the parts list beneath;
Part 13 - RELAY, WINKER XR125
Product Number: 38301KRHD00
CMS Product Number: HO0056.8226
Otyher than a list price of E32.50, I'm not entirely sure what your problem is? If CSML list it, and you have part number, Dave-Silvers will have it, and they'll likely include Honda part no in any listing on e-bay or elsewhere on the web.....

Though, yeah, you can use a generic one, and for £3 from China I'd probably buy an electronic one that will blink LED's and low wattage bulbs at legal rate, and probably only needs appropriate connectors splicing on the wires....

If you search by description, try not using the word 'relay'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:34 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TM.

How does this test check if the relay works,er....if it’s disconnected?
I know it’s a switch and I find it incredibly difficult to understand,no matter how much I read about them,
If those pins are shorted does that mean nothing can flow,therefore indi’s shouldn’t light up when switched to on,but if they do then what is happening for it to be a test of a fault?
Because if those pins are shorted current wouldn’t flow so something in the relay is not opening (or closing?) or staying open/closed?
Which is it ?

Cheers for your time,much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:37 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what that jpg is suggesting, TBH

Flasher unit is an automatic switch. sits in line with the indy-circuit supply and turns it on and off basically.

If you remove the flasher, and short the terminals it sits between together, with indy 'on', left or right, it should just light up constant. If so.... you probably have a duff flasher, of no, you maybe dont and problem is elsewhere.

May get a bit more complex if you have a three-pole flasher, BUT not much; oft used on cars, the flasher latches between two 'on' contacts, one lights the indie lamps on the corners, other usually goes to the tell-tale on the dash.

I'd be pretty surprised though is the XR flasher isn't a simple two-pole job; its basically a funked-up CG125 with knoblies; its not exactly an advanced design.. it has push-rods FFS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:45 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I have no idea what that jpg is suggesting, TBH

Flasher unit is an automatic switch. sits in line with the indy-circuit supply and turns it on and off basically.

If you remove the flasher, and short the terminals it sits between together, with indy 'on', left or right, it should just light up constant. If so.... you probably have a duff flasher, of no, you maybe dont and problem is elsewhere.

May get a bit more complex if you have a three-pole flasher, BUT not much; oft used on cars, the flasher latches between two 'on' contacts, one lights the indie lamps on the corners, other usually goes to the tell-tale on the dash
I'd be pretty surprised though is the XR flasher isn't a simple two-pole job; its basically a funked-up CG125 with knoblies; its not exactly an advanced design.. it has push-rods FFS!

Er...it’s just a pic of location and the connector that is on it,not suggesting anything...Maybe someone sees it and they help me or send me one.
You can bet your life that if it wasn’t there,someone would of asked for a pic anyway...
I wasn’t asking about it’s design,and what model the bike is has no bearing on the question I was asking,it could apply to any number of bikes that have relays or cars even...they all work on the same principle,after all don’t they
No,the question is htf does taking the relay out of its circuit and then testing the circuit it was in tell me that the relay,the component itself,is good or bad?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1