Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

IoM TT 2018 - Anyone going

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: IoM TT 2018 - Anyone going Reply with quote

I'm going for the first time, I'm there for the whole thing. Anyone else heading there?

Any tips/Tricks for a newbie?

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't panic about being a little late for the ferry, despite what they say most people arrived over an hour late and still got on.
Also don't be tempted with being able to park your bike next to the tent like we did last year, as it was raining most of the time the campsite was was just mud, the plots next to us where you had to park your bike in the car park was immaculate, something to think about.

EDIT
Also keep your wits about you when riding around the island as some of our european neighbour's ride like cunts.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh chris chris chris-red chris. You are going to be gifted with deep deep memories.

Keep an eye out for that rope that's used to bridge the gap on the ferry ramp. i.e you don't want to be straddling it and doing burnouts. Ahem...2 up with luggage FTW Embarassed

Keep 1 eye in your mirrors esp over the mountain.

Just have a cracking time Mr and even if you were going on your jack the people there are all infused with petrol so talking bikes to strangers isn't strange...in fact it's de rigueur.

I was partial to the bottom of Barregarrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for the first time this year but doing the classic because I want to hear and see racing two strokes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Going for the first time this year but doing the classic because I want to hear and see racing two strokes.

This is why I'd go.

But the overall cost is fucking insane, I can tour a decent chunk of Europe for that.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:29 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost is 'excessive' however this is very much a Bucket List trip. I doubt I'll be going every year. I've been riding ~12 years now, and have probably wanted to go the TT for 8 of those, It's taken me this long and I'd be surprised if I go back in the next 8.

I'm going with my Dad, 2 uncles and a family friend, only 1 uncle, my dad and I ride. The other 2 are in the car with a caravan. I think I'm faster than my uncle, and our bikes are similar speed wise (900SS vs TDM900), my dad has ALWAYS been quicker than me but I think he has slowed up the couple of years, his bike is quicker (Sprint ST) so no excuses if I can keep up/pull away! Regardless we should be evenly matched for some decent riding, I'm looking forward to it and think it's a good age to go, 5 years ago I was much more of a nob with lower skills and a higher opinion of them Laughing

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish and chips from the chippy at Peel Harbour. Look out for other events on non race days and in the evenings.

We went to beach racing on Peel beach which was good fun.

Peel campsite is very good. All facilities and within walking distance of pubs etc.

Ramsay sprint is good too and frequently hilarious!

Also the trials on Douglas beach

And not forgetting Jurby racing.

As if practice week and race week weren't brilliant enough! There's so much else.

What HT said about our European cousins is very true, no matter how fast you take the mountain road, they'll overtake you and you'll come round a bend and quite likely find a heap of bike, rider and other debris so take care!

Links fahren and all that.

Enjoy it.

We'll be at the Manx too for 2 weeks in August.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you staying?

On the circuit the only real fast bit now is over the mountains and maybe Cronk-y-voddy. The rest is full of speed limits and cops wit hairdryers - this didn't used to be the case but they have introduced limits at many places between the villages. In fairness this has made it much less stressful in my opinion. Lots of teh other roads and less thoroughly policed however

Top tip - don't get stuck inside teh circuit at Sulby/Ginger Hall if you've a ferry to catch.. When they do let you cross you'll have to ride like like a c*nt through Ramsey and Laxey on the back road and be the last on with 2 mins to spare Embarassed

Go to Creg ny Ba but don't stay long - there's many more interesting spots in my opinion.

Have a pint or two in The Market Inn, Douglas - in my top 10 favourite boozers of all time.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first visited the Isle of Man for the TT back in 1980 on my Honda 750.Good memories of overtaking a plod bike going into the Gooseneck and another over the Mountain section at over 100 mph.Great fun Twisted Evil

I went again in 1983 together with the future Mrs. Fizzer.The weather is what makes the visit and both years there was a mixture of rain and sun.At times it was sunny in Ramsey where people were getting sunburnt,while it was very misty at Douglas and the helicopter was unable to operate.But on Mad Sunday was nice and sunny everywhere and we completed a few laps stopping at various places like the hotel at the Creg

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Bikes/IsleofManTT029.jpg~original

The worst part about the visit to the Island is having to come home Sad

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Bikes/IsleofManTT034.jpg~original

I went again in 1990 and 1996 but not been since Evil or Very Mad

Always have a 'Plan B'

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics from the era - got any more? Not entirely sure but I think I've made it 8 or 9 times but often only for along weekend.

First trip was '91 in one of those bathtub ferries which took about 8 hours form Liverpool. First hazard was to avoid suffocating on the exhaust fumes on the way off or getting tangled in the hairy twine they tied your bike down with.

One of the lads we were meeting from Ireland got pissed on the Belfast ferry dropped his bike on the way off and was arrested and banned within the first 12 hours - I then had to cart him on the back of my XJ600 the whole week. Happy days at Summerland watching Bernard Manning and the 'Miss wet TT shirt contest' Wink

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: IoM TT 2018 - Anyone going Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Any tips/Tricks for a newbie?

Enjoy it, obviously.

Take a transistor radio, for race commentary, if you're in the middle of nowhere, mobile coverage isn't brilliant!
Take wet weather gear!
Volunteer to be a marshal, not only are you helping out, you are likely to get a really good vantage point!
If you want to watch from a popular vantage point get their early, very early, the best spots are always taken up.
Braddan church yard is great, pay a fiver to park, there are seats available, little old ladies will make you bacon sarnies, cake ,tea and coffee. If you're there early enough you can get one of the benches right on the wall, IMO one of the best spots to watch from!
Take plenty of cash!

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot Sid said and, never wear socks with sandals.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats are a fcuking shambles.
The food on the boat is not as bad but not anything to 'look forward to'.
I would take sandwiches and just buy a coffee off the boat next time.
The boat will be fcuking RAMMED with bikers. Smile (Not easy to find a place to sit... Unless you manage to arrive at the port early to get in the queue.

FOG. They use choppers to get injured off the mountain. If there is fog the choppers are grounded so the Mountain road will remain closed.
This applies to the times when the mountain road is open to Joe Public (and wankers).
The 'mountain road' is few miles of road made one-way during racing.
It can be chilly on the mountain so layers may be required.
You may not get on the mountain on race days. But if you allow four or five days for the trip then it will be possible. The road is open at night of course. Smile
Wankers over the mountain. Not folk who can out-ride you just wankers who do not care about their own well being or anyone else on the road.

You will not be as good as the guys racing there so no point in trying to emulate any of them. (Even the girls.)

I found it a bit of a British-Seaside Town/Pikey type of atmosphere. But I am an unbearable snob.

The racing is brilliant the marshalls can be a bit wnakerish too. Think Jumped-Up security guy in a car park.
One big fat female marshal chinned me for using my phone outside a petrol station. She said, 'it wasn't allowed'. It was on tip of my tongue to say, 'Fcuk off Mrs.' but they can easily ruin your day if they get the PoPo in.

DO NOT WALK ON THE RACE TRACK WHEN THE RACE IS ON. We all know it is a public road but..... Rolling Eyes

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:27 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where there is a time table for 'off track' entertainment? I'm sure in the past I have seen lists with dates of live bands, peel day etc?
Cant seem to find any details for this year.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that that visitors are almost 50% German, a small percentage of whom may, occasionally, forget which side of the road to ride on..
A trip to Murray's museum near Fairy Bridge makes an interesting morning or afternoon too if you like the older stuff.
Quarry bends is another top spot IMO. A bit isolated but not totally locked if you park carefully and walk - which reminds me - buy an OS map - worth its weight in gold.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1