Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBF600N headlight. When I dip you dip we dip.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stu991
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:07 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Honda CBF600N headlight. When I dip you dip we dip. Reply with quote

Hi all, I've joined this forum as I have a technical question and would benefit from your wealth of expertise.

I currently own a CBF600N 2004 which I bought in Spain.
I am now going back to live in the UK.
To register the bike in England, it needs to have a headlight that 'dips' to the right instead of the left (this is where this post's witty title was inspired, thanks I'm here all week Laughing ).
In addition, the rules state that I can't simply use a sticker or similar to change the direction.

Has anyone else had to change the dip direction of their headlight?
Having read the parts lists for both UK and Euro versions of the bike, I see they use a different headlight lense. The part number is 33120-MAK-600 (UK) and 33120-MAK-000 (Euro).
This makes me think that the dip won't be changeable simply by turning a screw, and changing the headlight lense would instead do the trick.

Any advice, suggestions, ideas about headlights and dip? Am I correct that buying the UK spec lense will be enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:34 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell your Spanish bike in Spain and buy a UK registered one when you're back in England.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a new lens will do it as this dictates where the light goes. Adjuster screws will not fix it.

You will also need a speedometer that shows mph; this is often a simple overlay sticker.

My bike is a German market one and when it was brought here it had a new headlight and new speedometer face. The odometer still counts up in km though.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
You will also need a speedometer that shows mph.

I very much doubt that.

MOT guidelines ( https://www.ukmot.com/manual/6.7/Speedometer ):

Reason for Rejection
1. Speedometer not fitted.

2. Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or the dial glass broken or missing.

3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:12 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A UK headlight will be cheap on ebay. Probably cheaper to buy a second hand headlight than to cock around trying to get just the reflector.
You can get a sticker overlay for the speedo to show MPH, or a converter if it is cable driven. Only problem is that your speedo will probably then go up to 220mph, making it more difficult to distinguish between 30, 40 and 50.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600N headlight. When I dip you dip we dip. Reply with quote

Stu991 wrote:
To register the bike in England, it needs to have a headlight that 'dips' to the right instead of the left

Surely on the Continent the headlight dips to the right.In the UK you need one that dips to the left Rolling Eyes

Always have a 'Plan B'

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:32 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600N headlight. When I dip you dip we dip. Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Stu991 wrote:
To register the bike in England, it needs to have a headlight that 'dips' to the right instead of the left

Surely on the Continent the headlight dips to the right.In the UK you need one that dips to the left Rolling Eyes

It is perfectly legal to have the headlight set to a flat cutoff. On a Continental headlight this is acheived with a triangle of black tape on the lens from approximately 3 to 4 o clock. This blocks out the kick to the right. This is looking from the front towards the light. Observe cars on the road , from time to time you see one like this . I could take a picture of mine , I guess.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1