Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hive heating thing....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Hive heating thing.... Reply with quote

My boiler is old school, as in you need to go to it to turn it on, an has a mechanical timer on the front.

The mrs wants the heating to come on automatically when its cold etc....

So, after I bought the Hive light bulbs with the little hub etc, I quite fancy connecting the boiler up too, so bought a Hive Active Heating Multizone....

I don't own any other heating kit from Hive. Will the thing I bought work without buying any other Hive heating "kit".

The reason I'm worried is that on the side of the box (that i seen after opening everything) it states

In order to have Hive Multizone you will have need to purchase Hive Active Heating™ which contains a thermostat, receiver and Hub. For each additional Hive Multizone kit you will receive an additional thermostat and receiver.

All i want is a wifi thermostat that's controllable from a web app, my house is tiny so not bothered about "mulitple zones etc"....did I buy the wrong thing, or can i just wire this up an it should just work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you've bought the wrong thing .

Send it back and buy one designed for your system , is it a combi , heat only ?

Lots of other options but you've got the over hives so I guess you'd follow suit .

Chris

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:52 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I have a nest (same idea - just made by google) so the following is true of that.

The 'Hub' is the thing that will plug into your boiler and work as an access point for all the other kit. With this I got a wireless thermostat and separately I bought the 'Protect' which is a connected smoke/CO detector, this just links to the 'Hub' Any additional 'Works with...' kit will also just connect to the same Hub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Disclaimer: I have a nest (same idea - just made by google) so the following is true of that.

The 'Hub' is the thing that will plug into your boiler and work as an access point for all the other kit. With this I got a wireless thermostat and separately I bought the 'Protect' which is a connected smoke/CO detector, this just links to the 'Hub' Any additional 'Works with...' kit will also just connect to the same Hub.

Nest Protect doesn't connect to the thermostat in any way other than via the cloud. In your house there is no connection between the heat link and your Nest Protect.

The Boiler is wired to the Nest Heat Link which then connects to the Nest Thermostat wirelessly.
The Nest Thermostat connects to your Wifi which allows it to sync to the Nest cloud service, which you can monitor remotely via the Nest app.
The Nest Protect Smoke/CO detector connects to your Wifi which allows it to sync to the Nest cloud service, allowing you to monitor it remotely via the Nest app.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your boiler can take a normal two wire thermostat then you can use something like the Salus IT-500. Fairy low cost and lets you control the heat from the portable thermostat, app via wireless or app via internet.

There are no subscription costs for this.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your boilers old skool you wont have any zones,
send the multizone back and get a nest, honeywell or heatmiser neostat and hub,
why pay a subscription to BG when you dont need to?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

why pay a subscription to BG when you dont need to?

You do not have to have a subscription. You can buy outright. Time it right and you can end up paying 50% less than retail price on Amazon.

OP might just be better getting a new boiler. Instead of fancy kit to turn it on & off.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:49 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you buy it outright then pay £9.00 a month to use it

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
you buy it outright then pay £9.00 a month to use it

No you don't......

https://www.hivehome.com

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/smart-home/hive.html

I Paid £99.00 thanks to black Friday offer, which included BG fitting it Smile

No ongoing plan, works Ok. Lets face it. It's only a thermostat that you can control via a app...

As to saving £££. Mmm. Not happening here. Same cost as the old stat. Despite the ability to tweak temps as required.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no updates yet, I have spoken to a few people who have said what I have bought should just work.

I have opened all the packaging etc now so doubt Amazon would accept a return anyways Sad

If it doesnt work I will sling it onto eBay.

Now i need to figure out how to remove the mechanical clock an replace it with the Hive "magic box"

no subscriptions when you buy the kit, its only on subscription if you sign up for one - i think

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

Now i need to figure out how to remove the mechanical clock an replace it with the Hive "magic box"

Do you not leave it in place and set it to always on? That's my plan for my Nest on a Baxi boiler.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:

Do you not leave it in place and set it to always on? That's my plan for my Nest on a Baxi boiler.

That's exactly what I did with mine. I've got an Ideal Independent C24 combi. Set the 24h segment timer to always on.

Removed the existing wireless thermostat receiver and replaced with the hive receiver. Two wires, that was it.

I very much doubt it'll save me huge amounts of cash. But it does mean I can customise my weekly timings without having to faff with the segment timer on a Friday night.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
I have opened all the packaging etc now so doubt Amazon would accept a return anyways

They probably will actually; though you might well not get back the full purchase price if the product is obviously opened. (Amazon do have 'seconds' sales where they flog off returns like this).

Definitely worth a look anyway - just complete their online returns process, explain your situation honestly, and see what they come up with.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be ok with multi zone...you'll just be using 1 zone. You can use multi zone if you later wish to fit servo radiator valves with separate room temps such as a spare room. I've got the Salus as well rather than nest but you basic setup is leave your boiler on 24Hrs and the nest thermostat decides when to turn it on/off depending on room temps and times you select. The hub connection means you can still work it via remote or your phone if the internet is down ( local network) and cloud based connection so you can change/read home temps when away. Id expect the extra parts it says needed are for setting up zone 2 etc so you should be good to go. on my boiler connections I needed 3 wires and a jumper to power the boiler remote AND the thermostat connections. Worth checking if its mains output or DC output if your fitting it yourself!

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the nest tonight, as said mechanical timer in always on. Scheduling set via nest.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hive replied tonight to my email - by phone?! an said the kit I have bought will work because I already have a hub Thumbs Up

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:41 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Hive replied tonight to my email - by phone?! an said the kit I have bought will work because I already have a hub Thumbs Up

Interesting... I have Hive v1 and wanted to upgrade to hive V2 which I think is just a thermostat change from what I can see. When looking though I couldn't find the upgrade pack anymore just multizone thermostat. I wonder if I could just buy one and attach to my existing hub.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine says it doesn't support V1 hubs?

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:35 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Mine says it doesn't support V1 hubs?

bah! ok back to the drawing board.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1