Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

[Car Thread] what jack/axle stands

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:44 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: [Car Thread] what jack/axle stands Reply with quote

I need to do brakes on my car, it's about time I bought my own lifting gear as I've been borrowing my dad's. After something cheap and sturdy it won't be used often but I'd like it to last decades. My dad's jack is a Halfords one and I thinks it's older than I am, something like that would be ideal, is Halfords stuff any good now?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A five ton trolley is easier to lift car on. A three ton will lift it though.

Look for heavy duty axle stands. The lighter ones are much less stable. And stability is all you are after really in an axle stand (Or in a relationship too.)

And look for wheel chocks. Very important again for maximum stability. You can do it on a jack alone but then...... Shocked

Halfords stuff is good enough and it is normally local. Smile

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my car brakes on Halfords trolley jack and stands last January, I'd want something a bit more skookum for really regular use, but I'll be using them a few times a year at most and for that they're perfect.

If you want something that looks a bit more solid, I spotted some decent gear in Costco last time I was there. Probably a bit overkill though.

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:24 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I did my car brakes on Halfords trolley jack and stands last January, I'd want something a bit more skookum for really regular use, but I'll be using them a few times a year at most and for that they're perfect.

If you want something that looks a bit more solid, I spotted some decent gear in Costco last time I was there. Probably a bit overkill though.

I've seen the Costco jack and lusted after it, but it's £100 and /only/ a 2 tonne one. I didn't see axle stands though? Any idea how much/what weights?

Anyone used the ratcheting axle stands? Any good?

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a draper 2 tonne jack ,given to me and an RAC kit,which is a 2 tonne jack,axle stands and chocks, was about £50 I think,had it 10 years or so, still going strong.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:48 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-3-tonne-quick-lift-garage-trolley-jack
&
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands/halfords-3-tonne-axle-stands

The jack is probably more than you're wanting to spend but it should last you forever and will make light work of pretty much anything.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lifted allsorts on a 1.5t rated trolley jack, and brake work you can wedge the tyre or block of timber under the sill. You're lifting one corner, not the whole vehicle, maybe front end is 1t max on most cars.

If I'm crawling under then its on ramps.
The trolley jack I've inherited doesn't even have a rating plate. Shocked

I'd look more at the quality than overspeccing it on weight.

I've found cheaper jacks the castor wheels can buckle, metal wheels are good here with a thick shaft. Smooth release action is good, if they sell spares then it'll be servicable.

Having said that, the 1.5t mentioned above has been going 25+ years without any attention. The rule is always be prepared for any jack to fall at any moment.

Doesn't matter how expensive it is, it's just a ballbearing stopping your head being staved in.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 trolley jacks in my garage. One huge low, long reach one that'll lift a truck (came from a professional garage after it failed, just needed the seals replacing). The other is a 1.5t Halfords jack that I've had for about 15 years. It's still fine and is the one I tend to use the most.

Personally I don't like the ratcheting axle stands. I know they're perfectly safe but I like to be able to see the thing that is taking the load (big pin on most stands). I had a car fall on my leg once. It hurt a lot and I'm keen not to repeat the experience. Also, being crushed to death underneath a car strikes me a really unpleasant way to die.

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:11 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for the Costco jack in the end, the build quality was so much better than Halfords plus I have a 5 year no quibble guarantee, also it's sexy AF Laughing . I couldn't decide on axle stands and just bought some cheap Silverline ones, they were £20 the idea being I'll buy better ones as and when I need them. I was pleasantly surprised they were rated at 3ton each rather than the pair, I'm impressed with the build quality, for £20 they are excellent, if I need more I'd happily buy them again.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Went for the Costco jack in the end, the build quality was so much better than Halfords plus I have a 5 year no quibble guarantee, also it's sexy AF Laughing . I couldn't decide on axle stands and just bought some cheap Silverline ones, they were £20 the idea being I'll buy better ones as and when I need them. I was pleasantly surprised they were rated at 3ton each rather than the pair, I'm impressed with the build quality, for £20 they are excellent, if I need more I'd happily buy them again.

Low entry, padded, carry handle, good release mechanism, study construction - does this constitute jack envy?

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:50 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Low entry, padded, carry handle, good release mechanism, study construction - does this constitute jack envy?

It's red and shiny too. Laughing

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
chris-red wrote:

yes. yes it does. I want one too Laughing

I have been using the little orange halfords one for the last 10 years... has worked pretty well but it failing is ALWAYS at the front on my mind when using it

My new house hasn't got a flat drive way but i had to do a few jobs underneath the car last week..anyone care to crawl under the car on a sloped drive with a halfords jack being the mediator between life and crushing/painful death?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1