New EU GDPR legislation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Why wouldn't you encrypt by default anyway?

It comes down this, it's not difficult, it's not expensive, it's not complicated, why wouldn't you? Same for complex passwords, common sense.

@mpd72 - Be honest though, you didn't come here for advice though did you? You just came to moan about shit you don't understand less than a month before it's due to be enforced.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loling at an IT 'expert' who appears to be unable to run his nose, never mind a business. Worked for PwC eh? As the cleaner?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You also initially said all cloud data had to be stored in the EEA. I've been told differently by another "expert".

OK, well, going from my last note. if you can't tell what a natural person is, and if you haven't grasped that, whilst the cloud data doesn't have to be stored in the EEA, that data, no matter where it's stored, is still covered by the regulations. I'm glad I'm not 1 of your customers. The regulations themselves are pretty clear, and simply involve common sense, and, to be fair, are what organisations, large or small, should already be compliant with anyway. Oh, and the comment you made about facebook, by creating an account with facebook, you are signing up to their terms and conditions, and hence, giving them consent. I imagine this process may become more robust, but as I have no interest in facebook, it's not something I'm likely to find out anytime soon.

I do have 2 questions though..

1. As you run your own IT business, why are you trying to get business critical information regarding GDPR (Oh, the definition of which has been around since 2015 or 2016, can't quite remember the exact year) on a motorbike forum, surely you have peers in IT or even the local chamber of commerce who can offer professional advice.

2. As you have had a least 2 years to get this sorted, and yet still haven't, why are you whinging on here, and not getting your business gdpr compliant, seeing as though it's due to come into force soon.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Islander wrote:

Why wouldn't you encrypt by default anyway?

It also makes is impossible to recover data if the drive can't be booted.

.... Sooo, you don't keep any secure backups of your data .. Rolling Eyes

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Loling at an IT 'expert' who appears to be unable to run his nose, never mind a business. Worked for PwC eh? As the cleaner?

Why do you think he set up his own IT business?

No one else would employ him!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Islander wrote:

I'm not an 'armchair expert' by the way, I'm an information security professional and have to have an understanding of relevant legislation. I'm involved in GDPR preparation in the organisation I work for and deal with this on a day to day basis along with information governance colleagues.

And you told me I had to protect company names and addresses, used for invoicing, in my accounts program, oh and my phone needs encrypting because I have phone numbers of companies in it.

If you're an expert, no wonder nobody has the faintest idea about what this entails. Talk about vague.

You also initially said all cloud data had to be stored in the EEA. I've been told differently by another "expert".

Suit yourself, 20 plus years in the profession clearly mean nothing. You're clearly here for an argument rather than to seek professional advice so crack on and have fun.

If you're actually an IT professional then you should know better but clearly you don't.

Hopeless. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
vice wrote:

It comes down this, it's not difficult, it's not expensive, it's not complicated, why wouldn't you? Same for complex passwords, common sense.

It also makes is impossible to recover data if the drive can't be booted.

Erm, wrong. Wronger than a wrong thing up a wrong tree in wrong land. If you follow the proper procedures then you can decrypt and recover. If the drive isn't mountable then that's a different matter, then you rely on your no-doubt up-to-date and efficient backups to recover.

You *do* have backups don't you... Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I wish you "resident experts" would make your minds up... Rolling Eyes

I refer to my point above ..

linuxyeti wrote:

1. As you run your own IT business, why are you trying to get business critical information regarding GDPR (Oh, the definition of which has been around since 2015 or 2016, can't quite remember the exact year) on a motorbike forum, surely you have peers in IT or even the local chamber of commerce who can offer professional advice.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Anyone know any living person on the planet to which this definition would not apply?
So a "natural" person, as the resident expert likes to keep using, is someone who can be identified by a name. We need a new term for this FFS!?

This is what the entire legislation is worded as. Why? it's fecking nonsense and as vague as can be. Watching armchair experts thinking they understand the wording of it all is laughable.

natural person is an individual whereas a legal person is a corporation or organisation, common legal terms

many people have the opinion that if they don't understand something it must be "nonsense"

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
You're clearly here for an argument

Have you just met? Smile

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

It's all guesswork and hearsay from armchair experts. The regulations are so vague, they're open to interpretation, much of which is causing the vast level of clearly bollocks advice

So why the fuck are you asking on a bike forum..... It's a bit like asking mumsnet how to wank yourself off Rolling Eyes

All these regulations are designed to make jobs for the boy's who think they know, what they think the regulations mean.....

If you want proper advice then you need to go to one of these companies. Or you simply make a best guess, and hope for the best... And plan for the worst....

All regulations can be read in many ways. Thus you can ask several experts and get totally different answers to the same question.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Islander wrote:
You're clearly here for an argument

Have you just met? Smile

I've seen other threads... Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one recurring thing about Donk is that he clearly has no comprehension of legality. Which is why it'll be so much fun when he starts panicking when any correspondence about his defamation and hate mongering, and lack of compliance with legal safeguards, start dropping through his letterbox. Lulzathon.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this was an amusing thread, I'm just reviving it a little in the hope that MPD responds with some more "insightful" responses

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2