Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike did not want to start, yay.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Bike did not want to start, yay. Reply with quote

04 Kawasaki ZR7S.

Commuted home in heavy downpour yesterday with endless standing pools of water and got a huge face full of spray up at least once (and thus over the right switchgear and side of bike). Locked bike away last night (wet: although I did wipe around the switchgears to probably no effect) and went to start it today and it wasn't happy.

Turned ignition on (neutral lights on), choke on, press button and got nothing but a single click and the neutral light went out (the button had no feeling and there was no attempted turning over, just a singular click). Tried a few times, checked fuel and turned it to reserve (was plenty but just in case) and after turning ignition on and off a few times it fired up.

Worked, and started, fine thereafter including first time after sitting when returning from work.

I'm thinking it could be standing water on, or inside, the switchgear since it ran fine and started fine thereafter. Possibly also: sidestand, or clutch, switch; spark plug caps, starter motor etc etc.

Anything you'd look at if you had the above but then ran, and started, fine thereafter?

Bike needs a good clean anyway so could be that (seems the heavy rain last night may have chucked up all the standing salt).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:44 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike did not want to start, yay. Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Turned ignition on (neutral lights on), choke on, press button and got nothing but a single click and the neutral light went out (the button had no feeling and there was no attempted turning over, just a singular click).

I would start with checking the battery voltage. It should be at least 12v (up to about 12.5).

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is your friend, hose the switchgear with it to get the water out.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:08 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want more than 12.5, my bike that's stood since October is showing 12.68 currently Laughing

Multimeter is your friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Tool box currently lacking one, any link recommendations? Seems the one Argos sell isn't useable on "car" batteries per Q&A section so rather buy the right type.

Only slightly confused since there was no prior warning signs and it ran perfectly fine thereafter.

Start with the basics -- electrical connections, dirt, and grime etc -- and work upwards.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:24 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the man says...
Quote:
WD40 is your friend, hose the switchgear with it to get the water out.

Always best to start from basics with these problems and if the engine was running fine, it's probably moisture. Grab the wife's hairdrier (don't tell her), and dry gently in between the swith and thereabouts for 10 mins, then use a light spray of the good stuff.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:08 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Tool box currently lacking one, any link recommendations? Seems the one Argos sell isn't useable on "car" batteries per Q&A section so rather buy the right type.

Only slightly confused since there was no prior warning signs and it ran perfectly fine thereafter.

Start with the basics -- electrical connections, dirt, and grime etc -- and work upwards.

I've just had a look and the Argos one will be fine. I've no idea what the person who wrote that was talking about. My guess is that he is either an idiot or was thinking of an electrolyte test.

Looking at the dial on the front it does everything that you are likely to want and has the one thing that you will find most handy too (audible continuity test). Some multimeters don't have this and it's really annoying.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to leave for today but if the problem re-occurs then the settings, in the picture below, are correct?

As I understand it all I'd then need to do is put red prong on side of battery with red cover and the black on the other and should get a reading?

Brilliant idea to place a battery under the air-box and under the tank for it to be removed (probably take side panels of and test that way).

https://s9.postimg.org/a3h2qk67j/image.jpg

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset the meter to read 20 volts full scale. If you want to check voltage use a convenient point like a brake switch

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

battery is under the seat....not hard to get at, at all.

Meter setting is correct, it's very much the only setting you will use for voltage testing. Other functions are the ohms test for charging system's stator and general fault finding etc

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:56 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a little wary about using other components on the bike (as suggested above) to check the battery voltage. If there is corrosion in the connectors/loom or even just a bad connection it can lead you astray. It can be a handy cheat but also has the potential to cause confusion too.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:27 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding in torrential rain one dark night caused my ignition switch to burn out on my old Kawasaki GPZ500. I would try to protect the loom entrance underneath as water getting in will spaz it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
battery is under the seat....not hard to get at, at all.

Under the seat, under the air filter, under the tank. See here. Hence why I said I'd try and test it via the side panels.

Bikes running fine, for now, including during an equally strong rain storm both there and back, after sitting for a few hours, so I'm now not overly worried just conscious that if it happens again there's more to check.

I've put only one cover on it now to reduce trapped moisture and increase airflow. Probably be on the hunt for a more waterproof entirely back clover soon. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1