Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sat nav locks: worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Sat nav locks: worth it? Reply with quote

I was given a TomTom GPS for Christmas and I've been thinking of whether it's worth it to buy the £60 'Ram' lock.

It makes it safer when leaving it on the bike but there's already a simple solution to that; don't leave it on the bike. So the only real thing I'd be buying it for is having better protection against muggings at traffic lights, and removing one of the many pre/post ride chores.

Leaving the GPS on the bike also gives thieves a nice bonus if they decide to steal the whole bike.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 15:15 - 13 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Sat-nav locks: worth it? Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
I was given a TomTom GPS for Christmas and I've been thinking of whether it's worth it to buy the £60 'Ram' lock.

Was there a question?
I have one - is there an issue with people mugging bikers for Satnavs at traffic lights?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Sat-nav locks: worth it? Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

It makes it safer when leaving it on the bike but there's already a simple solution to that; don't leave it on the bike. So the only real thing I'd be buying it for is having better protection against muggings at traffic lights, and removing one of the many pre/post ride chores.

Leaving the GPS on the bike also gives thieves a nice bonus if they decide to steal the whole bike.

If you're frequently getting off the bike and leaving it for 5~10 mins at a time then yes, it's probably worth getting. If you're a commuter and only need to remove it at the end of a journey a couple of times a day, then as you say - just take it off.
Mugging is a bit of a risk I guess, but if they're that close they'd probably take your keys out anyway.

A lock for the mount itself is probably worthwhile, they're nickable items in themselves! (I have one on my TomTom mount, simple lock that stops anyone pinching the actual mount - I don't bother with a GPS lock though)

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Sat-nav locks: worth it? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

Was there a question?
I have one - is there an issue with people mugging bikers for Satnavs at traffic lights?

Quesiton: are they worth it/would you buy it?

Your question: I wouldn't know as I don't live in London, which is another thing on the 'cons' list of getting it (yet is a 'pro' in life generally Wink )

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Sat-nav locks: worth it? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
If you're frequently getting off the bike and leaving it for 5~10 mins at a time then yes, it's probably worth getting. If you're a commuter and only need to remove it at the end of a journey a couple of times a day, then as you say - just take it off.

I don't get off my bike that frequently, however the lazy part of me would be happy to strike a task off the pre-ride list.

Quote:
Mugging is a bit of a risk I guess, but if they're that close they'd probably take your keys out anyway.

Good point.

Quote:
A lock for the mount itself is probably worthwhile, they're nickable items in themselves! (I have one on my TomTom mount, simple lock that stops anyone pinching the actual mount - I don't bother with a GPS lock though)

I just remove the mount together with the GPS; it doesn't take long and all there's left to nick is some deep wiring and half a ball socket.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people are honest.

Those who aren't honest will smash the GPS, or the bike if they can't tug it off. Or stab you. Or smash the bike and stab you. Or smash you and stab the bike.

So no, I wouldn't pay £60 to not really mitigate a small risk to something that I didn't pay for in the first place.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
...will smash the GPS, or the bike if they can't tug it off. Or stab you. Or smash the bike and stab you. Or smash you and stab the bike. ...

This.

No totally not worth the money. Anyone that wants it will takes it regardless, and if they cant - they wont leave you with it working anyway.

It takes literally 2 seconds to remove the satnav and put it in your pocket - add another 10-20 seconds if you want to chuck it in your top box if you have one.

Stop being lazy. Wink Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Most people are honest.

Those who aren't honest will smash the GPS, or the bike if they can't tug it off. Or stab you. Or smash the bike and stab you. Or smash you and stab the bike.

So no, I wouldn't pay £60 to not really mitigate a small risk to something that I didn't pay for in the first place.

And or Acid you.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:48 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At traffic lights it's easier to mug a pedestrian for their phone than it is to mug you for your gps.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:13 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine on a ram mount, with arm, I took the plastic wing nut off and replaced it with a nyloc nut, when leaving the bike I take the Nav off but leave the mount, I doubt it's worth them stealing the mount if tricky to remove, but if someone wants it they’ll nick it if they are really determined, handily my bike has a 'glove box' on one side of the fairing that I pop the nav unit into, but it will fit in a pocket easy enough.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a RAM mount lock to stop my mount getting stolen when I'm in a restaurant or whatever when touring. Saves needing to reposition it just right when I head off again. However - and this is the catch - I don't actually lock the mount with the key! Too fiddly to always be doing. It's just there for show.

I still bring the GPS with me - I wouldn't trust leaving that on the bike. Although I have done it a couple of times, once I left it turned on, shining out like a beacon in the night, for a few hours, and it was still there when I came back. This was in central Galway.

An added advantage of the RAM mount lock is that it makes it a bit easier to tighten the mount, particularly with gloves on, since it has a bigger radius.

This is the thing I have: https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/locking-knob-for-1-b-arms-p-1443-c-399.html - cheaper on Amazon. It's a lot less than £60.

I would definitely not bother with this thing: https://www.johnsofromford.co.uk/product/ram-mount-arm-lock/ - having to keep track of the key knob would more hassle than it's worth.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable connector on the tomtom is quite fiddly, I wouldn't want to be disconnecting that all the time, so the sount stays on. I have the locking variant, but it's not that useful as an allen key will have the ram ball off.

The level of security it gives is enough to stop someone swiping the satnav whilst you pay for petrol. Leaving it any longer and you'd best pocket it or stick it in hard luggage or under the seat.

Scrotes are not beyond trying car doors at petrol stations, so nothing gets left unsecured.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Jew's cousin was down in Norfolk for some work to be done on his MT. On the way back, he stopped in a MaccyD's, took his satnav off but left the mount on. Was only in for a few minutes, bike out of sight for that time. Came out, mount had been snapped off. Thumbs Down

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonald's is a hive of scum and villany. Whilst coffee is cheap and toilets are usually clean, it comes at the penalty of coffee that is too hot to drink, cubicles that are too small to deal with restrictive leathers and hurds of yoof. Generally ok if there's several of you and you post watch on the bikes or visit whilst the yoof are expected to be in school, but the recent practice of cutting lunchbreaks in favour of unleashing the latchkey kids at 2pm means you really need to know the area you stop in, and where the local authority's truant patrols get free cuppas.

I wouldn't use a hand-twist fitting on a bike left unattended. Requiring an allen key or spanner is enough, security fittings are a convenience but require carrying more keys, but both my luggage and satnav mount have such.

Also handy is a loud and distinctive alarm with a nudge sensor and the preparedness to run or at least stagger quickly in the direction of bike and commit the occasional act of violence against those who are clearly not children.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1