Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I've never done a track day...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:41 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: I've never done a track day... Reply with quote

With summer coming up, and me finally having a bike that can stand it, I want to give a track day a go.

But... I've never done one. I don't know the first thing about how to get started!

I'm in the south east. Any advice on the best way to get my feet wet? Is trackday insurance worth having? I'm somewhat scared of binning it on the first corner Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sisters ex hubby flipped his BMW Z3 on the first corner at Brands Hatch on his first trackday. Laughing
Insurance did not pay out and RAC or whoever he was with at the time refused to recover the car unless he paid
extra. My sister was not amused that little exploit cost them 1000's.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:39 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's a "yes" to trackday insurance then Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:52 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just book the track day and go. Don't worry about insurance. Make sure you are in the Novice group. Ride at your own pace.

Have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:58 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particularly good days in the south-east you'd recommend for a first-timer? I'm after something well-organised, minimal faff, not hugely expensive.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:35 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about damaging your bike, why not do one of the race schools? Ron Haslam springs to mind.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brands Hatch is a short and easy to remember track, pick a company and book in for the novice group. You’ll get a briefing in the morning that will explain about rules and flags and all that jazz then get a few sighting laps with an instructor who shows you the way round. Then you go out in your group for your session and they will call you all back in after your time and send the next group out.

Most companies have instructors on hand all day who can do some one to one tuition with you.

Ive only ever done trackdays with No Limits and found them to be incredibly helpful and well run with a decent amount of time of track. Im sure other members will give you some feedback about other companies.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only really three track day organisers left. There is MSV (who own a bunch of tracks across the UK) who run their own days. There is focussed events, and no limits.

I generally think no limits is the best. I wouldn't do a race school first time out as you really need a little bit of track experience before you start to learn properly. Ron Haslam excepted as I've heard it's more of an experience day than a race school.

Track days are cheap, there is generally free instruction offered and the first time out you shouldn't be in a position to damage your bike.

As I said, book one, go and have a good day. And then go and talk to your bank manager because they are addictive. I currently have a dedicated track bike, a car that can tow and a motorcycle trailer. I also have paddock stands, a track day box with tools and spares, I'm thinking of buying tyre warmers etc... It can get expensive. But it doesn't have to be expensive.

Book a Brands Indy with No Limits and go along and enjoy. Also secretly chuckle at all the people who take it far too seriously! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: I've never done a track day... Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:

I'm in the south east. Any advice on the best way to get my feet wet? Is trackday insurance worth having? I'm somewhat scared of binning it on the first corner Laughing

doesn't really matter what track you go to. people always have suggestions but in reality it doesn't really matter.

Had my 1st at cadwell; didn't have any problems.

Mallory park is a nice simple track to learn though (hard to master) if you want to start simple.

Silverstone or brands are perfectly find though that are pretty near you.

Regarding track day insurance.. I don't think it's worth it. Unless it's changed when I 1st starting tracking years ago I looked into it. The things that put me off were 1) 3rd party only option so wouldn't pay out for damage to your bike and 2) £1500 excess.

Considering I was on a CBR600F that I bought for £1200 it wasn't worth it.

Think about how much your bike is worth before you shell out as it may not be financially viable.

I had a crash at cadwell once and the AA picked my bike up and recovered it 200 miles home without any issues at all. Best thing to do though in this case though is get it off track and get it picked up there. Don't mention track, for the most part all they need to know is where the bike is and where it's going. They don't need to know what happened.

After that though I converted it to a pure trackbike and trailered it there so I could take it home whatever happened.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:53 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, this is really helpful. I'll let you know how I get on Cool

inb4 "crashed on trackday, wat do?" thread
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1