Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hey Stooodent! tuition fees/loans blah blah

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:33 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graduate, 29, sues university for £60,000 over her 'Mickey Mouse' degree in international business strategy

Pok Wong, 29, is suing Anglia Ruskin University for £60,000 over her degree
Despite getting a first she has launched campaign against teaching quality
Claims prospectus made fraudulently misleading claims about job prospects

A graduate is suing her university for £60,000 over her 'Mickey Mouse' degree in international business strategy.

Pok Wong, 29, claims that Anglia Ruskin University made fraudulently misleading claims in its prospectus about high-quality teaching and career prospects.

She is seeking damages for a breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation, according to the Telegraph.

Ms Wong also claimed on Facebook that she was 'forcibly removed' from the stage during her graduation day for protesting about the quality of her course.

Ms Wong said in documents lodged before London County Court: 'Since graduating ... it has been proven that the degree … does not play a role to help secure a rewarding job with prospects'.

She claims that the prospectus fraudulently claimed the business school was a 'renowned centre of excellence' and students would be 'well equipped' for jobs - despite it ranking poorly in four university guides between 2010-11.

Lawyers for the university have said the prospectus did not form a 'real' contract with students and so tuition fees should not be refunded.

They also added that Ms Wong may have struggled to get work because she spent 'time and energy' on a campaign discrediting the university.

A spokesperson for the university said: 'Her complaints have been through the full Office of the Independent Adjudicator [the body that deals with student complaints] process.

'She then made a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office, which was rejected after a thorough investigation. Subsequently she has launched legal action against us and has been required to pay our costs at an earlier hearing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5487089/Anglia-Ruskin-graduate-sues-university-Mickey-Mouse-degree.html

Laughing

(Torygraph article behind a paywall)
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:23 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what job(s) she thought that degree would get her.

That uni doesn't currently offer a degree in international business strategy, the closest I can find is this one for International Business Management,

They're very vague about what career prospects the degree offers. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The scary part is that she's probably not alone in thinking a degree is a guarantee of a better life and a six figure salary, straight out of uni.
We have an entire generation who seem to think everything should be handed to them on a plate.

Yeah, seem being the operative word.

We also have an entire generation who seem to think we have an entire generation who seem to think everything should be handed to them on a plate.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people miss the point about “art” degrees. It isn’t about learning about a particular subject and merely remembering the contents of a lecture. In fact, for example - during my History degree - lectures (of which there were about 6 hours a week) probably formed about 5% of the actual education. It is the critical thinking and reading around the subject where the real learning starts. Done right, this does form skills that are valuable within the workplace.

You don’t pay tuition fees just to pay for a clever teacher. You are paying for world class access to the best literature and readings on a subject. The books I had access to at my university cost hundreds of pounds alone to purchase, yet here I had access for “free”.

I was on the old tuition fee scheme and at £3,000/year I think in hindsight it represented reasonable value. My total “debt” at leaving was £22k. But it’s not a debt, it’s a graduate tax. As it stands I’ll have paid mine off through my wages in about 4 years time, by which time I’ll be 33 years old. It’ll be nice seeing that £280/month on my payslip going into my back pocket and not to student loans repayment, I must admit.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:28 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prospective employer: "So, you failed to verify their claims before committing yourself to the course, then you've done nothing since but publicly piss and moan and try to rinse them down for money? Golly, I can't think why we wouldn't snap you up in an instant."

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Prospective employer: "So, you failed to verify their claims before committing yourself to the course, then you've done nothing since but publicly piss and moan and try to rinse them down for money? Golly, I can't think why we wouldn't snap you up in an instant."

I thought that's how PPI claim companies were populated with staff?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
I think a lot of people miss the point about “art” degrees. It isn’t about learning about a particular subject and merely remembering the contents of a lecture. In fact, for example - during my History degree - lectures (of which there were about 6 hours a week) probably formed about 5% of the actual education. It is the critical thinking and reading around the subject where the real learning starts. Done right, this does form skills that are valuable within the workplace.

No it sounds equally pointless. The difference is certain institutions carry prestige, I'm guessing Anglia Ruskin University isn't one of them.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:51 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
It is the critical thinking and reading around the subject where the real learning starts. Done right, this does form skills that are valuable within the workplace.

You don’t pay tuition fees just to pay for a clever teacher. You are paying for world class access to the best literature and readings on a subject. The books I had access to at my university cost hundreds of pounds alone to purchase, yet here I had access for “free”.

I do agree with this a bit, I just question whether any of the things you've spent 3 years reading and learning about have any practical value whatsoever.

That said, I do think that with the possible exception of directly 'applied' courses such as Medicine, Architecture, Law, most people learn virtually nothing useful at uni anyway, arts, science, tech, doesn't matter.

Even in Medicine they say that by the time you've qualified, 30% of what you learnt in the lecture is out of date.

Plus, think of all the stuff you crammed for during exams over your degree. How much of it do you remember well enough to apply usefully today? 10%? Less? For example, I did some essay based exams in January this year which I got first class marks in. I went to a feedback session last week and I couldn't even remember which questions I'd answered, let alone what I'd written.

As far as I can tell, the value of Uni for most people comes purely as a tick box exercise. You have a degree. Check. It's from a good institution. Check. You did well in it. Check. It's a subject vaguely related to the job or one that's seen as 'challenging'. Check.

All that's required to just get through the initial CV screen, at which point you've demonstrated your capability to learn, to think, to problem solve, to write and, in some cases to do some basic maths or science. Only then can you really demonstrate that you're competent and a decent fit for the role.

The mistake some people make is to assume that any degree at any Uni gives you an equal chance of getting through that sift. Surprise, surprise, that's not the case. Many aren't worth the paper they're written on, and with the exception of the really terrible ones, they all cost the same.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:24 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/about/

Go to one of those if you want high-quality teaching and career prospects from a 'renowned centre of excellence' and to be 'well equipped' for jobs

Not all degrees are equal.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:04 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Many aren't worth the paper they're written on, and with the exception of the really terrible ones, they all cost the same.

Define really terrible? Smile Southbank, 108th out of 129 in the uni' league table, charge 9k for their courses, as do London met' who are 127th Confused I remember they said only top institutions would charge the maximum when fees went up Rolling Eyes

You can blame students but it's a system, at my school they funneled people in by offering sixth form students second year entry. Sounds great until you end up working at Tesco.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:10 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
asta1 wrote:
Many aren't worth the paper they're written on, and with the exception of the really terrible ones, they all cost the same.

Define really terrible? Smile Southbank, 108th out of 129 in the uni' league table, charge 9k for their courses, as do London met' who are 127th Confused I remember they said only top institutions would charge the maximum when fees went up Rolling Eyes

I was actually thinking back to my first year when ( I believe) the University of Salford and Worcester were charging roughly half the going rate. That said, looks like they now charge the maximum possible as well. I'm sure it's still great 'value for money' though...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:18 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. £9,250 per year when I was charged 3k less than a decade ago. I'm sure the course is 3x better though.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
most people learn virtually nothing useful at uni anyway, arts, science, tech, doesn't matter.

Pretty much, though I daresay it helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

I remember when I was hunting around for physics degrees, Leeds uni gave a wee sales pitch presentation about the benefits of studying physics. One major point was that a physics degree gives you the fourth highest wage-earning potential behind medicine, law and engineering. Approaching the end of my degree, I realised this was total bollocks and swiftly took to teaching myself programming to make myself properly employable. It worked. But I'm still earning peanuts Laughing .

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm part of generation "do a degree or fail at life".

A major issue is that the whole education system is now canted towards university and nothing else. As a teenager you genuinely don't know what you like or are good at and will generally follow the path of least resistance.

I came out of school with mediocre GCSEs and failed to get anything useful by spending a year in two separate colleges.

It took five years of graft in retail for me to learn what I'm good at, and what I enjoy.

Now a little over 10 years on from school and I'm managing a team of people who make and fix stuff day in day out. I took to machining, fabrication and maintenance like the proverbial duck to water.

In hindsight, if proper old school apprenticeships were a thing still, I'd have actually achieved something in education. As it stands not a single person in the education system ever suggested that there were options outside of the college -> uni path. Anything else was a path to unemployment.

I have a whole bunch of anecdotes that could fill a Teff sized post. Suffice to say I honestly fail to see the benefit of University to the vast majority of people. What counts more in life is hard work and a bit of intelligence.

Literally and completely genuinely the only benefit I can see for most people is that many entry level jobs state a degree as an entry requirement. The job doesn't require degree level knowledge in anything. A sad place for the country to be in since it just adds fuel to the fire.

Ho hum.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:02 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
teaching myself programming to make myself properly employable. It worked. But I'm still earning peanuts

ur doin it rong

The rumour mill grinds that J P Morgan are looking to recruit 2,000 (not a typo) code monkey graduates in the UK over the next couple of years (#DespiteBrexit).

Good news for code monkeys, bad news for anyone and everyone else trying to recruit them.

I'm advocating that we actively solicit services from enthusiastic Bulgarian schoolgirls, since they're already more mature - technically - than most of our homegrown spods.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course there are some jobs where you can't even get a foot in the door without the degree. Practising as a solicitor or barrister is one, though there was rumblings, years ago, about an apprenticeship style route. Don't think that materialised though?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
In hindsight, if proper old school apprenticeships were a thing still, I'd have actually achieved something in education. As it stands not a single person in the education system ever suggested that there were options outside of the college -> uni path. Anything else was a path to unemployment.

That's the problem, it's academics for everyone, whether or not they're academically inclined. It's stupid because outside of the basics, most of what you're taught isn't going to pay the bills. Discovering you're alright at plastering, welding etc. will.

And I use the term academics loosely. I had an honest form tutor at school who told us that our good grades were pretty average outside the ghetto Very Happy What I never truly worked out was if this was deliberate or the school being realistic about what they were working with.

It felt like the aim was to get everyone to mong+ level, then consider the job done, which's probably why every 'foreign' student who joined was already ahead of everyone, and people I've met since who were educated overseas to a higher level at school.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3