Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

February bike Registrations.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:22 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: February bike Registrations. Reply with quote

https://www.mcia.co.uk/admin/images/uploaded_images/[statistics-news-and-press_341]Press%20Statistics%20201802%20feb.pdf

Scooters down by about 38%

Bikes:

Sports/Tourers down by 45%!

Custom bikes up 36%?

Interesting to see Sym in the top 10? They have a euro engine now I guess?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:48 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up on last February, but down on the January bounce. Could be worse. Nice to see 126-650 bikes getting a long overdue boost.

I wouldn't read too much into SYM's showing, it's a slow sales month where outliers can get a look in. Looks like nobody bought a Piaggio or Vespa last month.

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:29 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a drop in scooters, I guess Deliveroo riders aren't in the market this month Smile

Why have KTM been so strong for the last few months? When I bought my 390 they weren't in the top ten very often, and I don't see many at the bike racks in Manchester.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:20 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light, fun bikes. 0% finance from the local multi-marque, which I understand makes a big difference to poor people.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Light, fun bikes. 0% finance from the local multi-marque, which I understand makes a big difference to poor people.

Not just poor people though. If I was humming and haaing over a choice of bike and one had 0%, it could be the game changer.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some European mid size supermoto bikes advertised with 0% finance. Must resist!

To help with this, I'm sending away a knackered trail bike engine for a professional rebuild and blue printing, or else I'd be in danger of accidently finding myself at an Orange bike shop before I knew what was happening? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:09 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling myself that I really don't need a Duke 390 on 0%... Whistle

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm telling myself that I really don't need a Duke 390 on 0%... Whistle

Or an RC390 for £3999 with 0%...

https://www.ktm4u.co.uk/new-bikes-for-sale/rc-125390/rc-390-2017-0-finance-available

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's definitely the Duke 390 that I really, really don't need. Folded arms

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have one of those round here, the local scrotes would have it from under you at the lights.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is some people like me who have no business reason to need to ride a bike and don't do touring or serious riding of any kind, only want silly bikes, often light weight off road or supermoto types etc.

I get your point about city commutes or night time cross city travel could be risky from bikelife twocers, but if you deliberately want these sorts of bikes you have to try and avoid such places, and accept their limited usability.

Things like only riding out in the countryside, no commuting, never parking or leaving the bike in town centre's, rail stations and car parks. And not leaving it out of sight at any time, and making sure as soon as you get home that its put away out of sight, after making sure as best you can that your not followed home. This is IMO par for the course with such bikes and also with sporty scooters to an extent too.

If riding around as un noticed and attracting least attention is a high priority, then you want an old heavy and dull bike that's got no credibility for scrotes to steal for kicks and destroy. A BMW K75, Pan European, dauville, XJ900 etc would be more suitable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If riding around as un noticed and attracting least attention is a high priority, then you want an old heavy and dull bike that's got no credibility for scrotes to steal for kicks and destroy. A BMW K75, Pan European, dauville, XJ900 etc would be more suitable.

Neutral

I'd go for a smaller capacity geared bike if I was worried about bike crime, but it's like having a Nokia 3210 instead of a smartphone just in case you get mugged.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like doing a risk assessment isn't it. When does it stop being a possibility and start being a probability?

Terrible when you have to let the scum dictate your choice of ride. Mad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:52 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru dat. Doubly sad in a thread about new bike sales, but theftworthiness is a real consideration now in urban areas.

We'll soon be pining for the good old days when scrotes stuck to nicking non-immobilised Street Triples in the dead of night.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in many places in the middle of the day it's more of a possibility than a probability still. The danger is more likely daily commuting in big cities and doing the same trip/route every day and at the same time, parking in the same places and using the same security etc.

Even in London there is probably more general crime committed by the scooter gangs, bag and phone snatching, shop and jewellery robberies and muggings etc, than using the vehicles to hijack and steal every bike that rides past all day long in broad daylight.

Outside of big cities and daily commuting, I'd say it's not about having to be dictated as to what bikes you can own, but more about how you use them and where. Stuff like parking behaviour and locations are more important than what bike you want to buy.

Keep your KTM690 smc in your expensive London home with good Cctv, police monitored intruder alarms and strong door/window security then it'll probably be safe enough. Leave it in the garden or locked to itself on the street and it's a matter of time probably.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Leave it in the garden or locked to itself on the street and it's a matter of time probably.

Shifty That's the irony of it. My bikes have lived outside with no security and (touch wood) have never had a hint of a theft attempt. Yet the local high street's bike jacking central. It's safe as long as I don't ride it...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is that more of a case that the place (high Street) is a good location for scoping every bike that goes past, has good hijack opportunities like lots of traffic lights, and lots of side streets for escape and alleyways to hide in etc?

You can bet that if the scooter gangs thought that your home parking location was less risky or that it was quiet and easy enough to get to that they'd much rather have your bike from home when your not there or are in bed etc, than violently approach you on the bike in broad daylight on a very busy Street with Cctv and lots of people about.

I don't think even the most brazen London bike theft gangs want to go out of their way to use violence and aggressive confrontation with you to get the bike, if they can quietly rustle it away in the night with no eyes on them let alone having to use noisy dramatic confrontation in public places.

So my point still stands, if someone looking for a bike to steal rides or walks down your street but doesn't see your bike because it's out of view, then its alot safer than the ones left on the road ready to take away.

The biggest problem to worry about with hidden bikes or ones parked in gardens, garage or houses is being staked out or followed home so people know what you have got and where it's kept. Or even distrustworthy neighbours wanting your stuff.

I bet not many houses, garages or sheds get broken into just on the off chance that there's a nice bike inside to nick.

If I was going to break into a house, I'd want to know in advance exactly what was in there, what I want to take and where it's located or stored. Its only the drug taking bottom feeders that would break into a house with no plan of what they are after and what it's worth IMO.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:53 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is the case. The reason for not bike-jacking someone used to be that the police would be alerted, but when they decided (yes the police decided) they weren't going to pursue criminals on two wheels, we had the explosion in bike theft and bike related crime.

It's easier to pinch a bike with the keys in than having to deal with security etc., a local guy has an MT-10 in his front garden Confused Obviously both types of theft still happen but the police have created the bike jacking/phone mugging epidemic IMO.

Inb4 Henry Hicks

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:14 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
the police have created the bike jacking/phone mugging epidemic IMO.

The welfare state created it. The police, as individuals, have very little to gain and a lot to lose from pursuing Scrotey McLidless. Farce policy won't protect them from the rabid hoodie huggers in Professional Standards and the CPS.

It's up to Parliament, the CPS and the courts to solve that, not the handful of coppers who are still on response.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to have this debate again, but the first I heard of there being an issue was when Hulk Hogan-Howe said it was met' plod policy not to pursue helmetless riders for their own safety. In other parts of the country they seem to be still getting stuck in Thumbs Up

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/dramatic-helicopter-footage-shows-police-knocking-moped-drivers-off-bike-during-highspeed-chase-in-a3458226.html

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:31 - 17 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farce policy is advice, not compulsion. Warranted constables are individually responsible for their decisions and actions. Parliament needs to give them carte blanche to murder all bikers, in order to save bikers. Folded arms
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1