Does anybody ski/snowboard?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
If you decide to try snowboarding then avoid the dry ski slope like the plague. It's bloody horrible. People liken snowboarding to skateboarding, which it is in some ways (carving mostly), however knowing how to skateboard does not stop you from stacking it 100's of times in the first few days.

While I agree that dry slopes are a bit shit, I think getting lessons on one can be much better value for money.

If it wasn't for dry slopes, I doubt my parents would be able to afford for me to learn.

I encourage people to learn on a dry slope before thinking about the learning on a ski holiday option.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
If you decide to try snowboarding then avoid the dry ski slope like the plague. It's bloody horrible. People liken snowboarding to skateboarding, which it is in some ways (carving mostly), however knowing how to skateboard does not stop you from stacking it 100's of times in the first few days.

While I agree that dry slopes are a bit shit, I think getting lessons on one can be much better value for money.

If it wasn't for dry slopes, I doubt my parents would be able to afford for me to learn.

I encourage people to learn on a dry slope before thinking about the learning on a ski holiday option.

Skiing translates better from dry to snow, but snowboarding feels totally different. I see the value in learning the basics but it's very difficult to hold an edge on a dry slope, you have very little control compared to snow. It's almost like sheet ice.

If you have access to indoor then do that, but I don't think I'd have taken up snowboarding if the first place I tried it was a dry ski slope. I would say there's a lot more value in learning on holiday to snowboard than to do so on a dry ski slope.

I had friends come with me on a holiday who had learned to board on a dry ski slope, and they could get down the hill, but out in the Alps they became complete beginners again.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm off to St Anton for my brothers stag next week, although I'll only be skiing for 2 days, not been for 5 years or so though.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:12 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
Then you’re probably retarded Laughing I taught for 3 years and had 1 K.O from a kid who wouldn’t listen, nothing else.

Probably Laughing Thinking

Some rogue wire (that holds the dry stuff together) went through my jeans and subsequently my knee Black Eye

Didn't stop me from getting back on it as soon as I could.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
Yep, I'm off to St Anton for my brothers stag next week, although I'll only be skiing for 2 days, not been for 5 years or so though.

Did a season there.. it's awesome!!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to an indoor slope yesterday.

Went for a couple hours. Got to level 2 ability didn't fall over at all. Laughing
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Went to an indoor slope yesterday.

Went for a couple hours. Got to level 2 ability didn't fall over at all. Laughing

Good for you, it's a bit like being on a bike except if you dont fall you're not trying hard enough - but your biking balance skills will help.

Just like taking corners fast on a bike, a practiced skier will stop seeing how steep the piste is and will just know the technique to get down fast and safe, as in biking - speed is not your enemy.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
winz wrote:

Did a season there.. it's awesome!!

Ahh so did he! I got the week wrong and only just got back. Head is a little sore, some of those apre ski bars really kick off.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
I got the week wrong and only just got back. Head is a little sore, some of those apre ski bars really kick off.

My sister has been out at Val d'Isere since the 3rd and spending much or the time drinking because there's too much snow for boarding/skiing. Same for you guys?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2