Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any info re. a good base for a week in the Pyrenees?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:21 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Any info re. a good base for a week in the Pyrenees? Reply with quote

Hi, All. I'm heading to the Pyrenees in July for just over a week with a few mates on our bikes. It's not an area I'm at all familiar with and wonder if anyone would care to share their knowledge on a good place to stay.

The plan is to stay based in one location for the majority of the week, probably with a one night, two day, overnight trip a bit further afield. Looking to be near plenty of good riding roads and near/ in a village or town with a bit of life to it; pubs, shops, cafes etc.

Where've you been and whaddaya recommend?

Cheers Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort is not bad geographically. I had some great rides out from there, including a dip onto the French side, and riding what seems to be pretty well accepted as one of, if not the best, sections of the N260, from there down to Ripoll - it is a brilliant ride.

Sort is quite small however, and doesn't have a huge choice of restaurants (I just stuck with the one in my hotel, although there were a couple of others I saw that seemed to be doing quite good business). Enduro Numpty should be able to confirm, but I suspect Viella on the N230 might be better for this aspect.

But do make sure you do that bit of the N260:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.3262671,2.0149326,11.76z

It is a hoot!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chickenstrip,

Thanks for your input there, it's helpful and appreciated. Had a quick look on Maps there at the section of the N260 you mention - looks a right laugh. Flippin' heck! Viella is something I'll look into tonight, looks like it might be just what I'm after.

Again, thanks a lot Thumbs Up .

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyrenankles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:46 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that Vielha is a good base. Plenty of restaurants and bars for the evenings and loads of great routes in every direction. We stayed at apartments Serranos and would highly recommend. It's right in the town centre and we had free underground parking 2 minutes away. Wherever you end up and however you get there, make sure you squeeze in as much of the N260 as possible. I'm almost sad that I'm going to the alps this year - the Spanish Pyrenees have so many great bike roads and none of the traffic that can spoil the alps at times. Enjoy and read Chickenstrips reports - loads of great info and photos.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend Broto and Camping Oto, Great location.

I also had to make use of the emergency medical centre their. Wasp sting to the tongue. They were absolutely fantastic! Saw me straight away and despite the language barrier it was all sorted quick. Take your EHIC medical card incase you need it!

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stayed at Berga Resort in a rented cabin a few times. Berga is very small though.

Vic is a nice town with decent restaurants, if I wanted more than just proximity to roads, it's where if head.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:03 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're meant to take the N260 and N240 from Yesa all the way to Roses. Dance!

Google maps linky.

Boddee This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boddee wrote:
Yesir n 2 6, O I live in tenn essee with the roses say yee.
The snakes can be seen now ste, no need for conspiracy theory.

Who is this ^^ weirdo?

Hey, weirdo, fuck off.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:35 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste for mod.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the info, guys. Very helpful. Looked into Viella over the weekend there and that's where we've decided to go. There are some cracking places to stay around there, and I'd not heard of it before reading your responses - cheers!

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1