BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motobatt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Motobatt Reply with quote

Has anyone used a charger on one and if so, which charger?
I tried my old optimate 3 earlier because the battery didn't have enough to start the bike.
It seemed to get some juice in there but it got quite warm during the process.
Not entirely sure if it's the right charger to be using with this battery tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it got warm but still won't start the bike then it's kaput. It's the time of year for it - I just shelled out £79 for a battery for mine. Start of the week it was fine, by the end of the week it would barely crank the engine.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used an Optimate 3 on one for my old Hornet quite a few times. Never had an issue, charged it properly, don't recall it ever becoming hot.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:41 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is getting hot then it is internally shorted. Sadly it's buy a battery time..............

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 2 inexpensive chargers. 1 from Lidl and an old series oxford oximiser.
The motobatt is 5/6 years old and I'm expecting to get a new one soon.

Pretty fastidious about keeping batteries topped-up (with power) so maybe that helps with longevity.

Also it does appear that the quality control is variable with batteries.

The charger should say if it's ok for sealed glass mat types. It's the lithium batts that requires a different charger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have made it clear that it was the charger that heated up and not the battery.
There was enough charge in the battery to start the bike after an hour or so on the charger but I was quite concerned at just how hot the charger was.
I got the charger from my brother a few years ago and it worked fine on a YBR battery so I'm thinking this charger may not be suitable for the Motobatt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some chargers get bloody warm. I whack a 12v fan on them just to be safe. Even a small airflow cools them down nicely.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my Motobatt shorting out/exploding thread on my KMX.

Since sorting out a separate shorting issue on the bike, I will only ever use the cheap £18 Motobatt Babyboy charger on them and take the battery out of the bike and place on a bench before charging.

The Babyboy is an automated charger with safety cut out, but it charges at a very low rate of mA which I believe is the correct way to charge these batteries.

I certainly wouldn't use an optimate on one again or charge it in the bike for the 5min it takes to remove.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the battery state indicator didn't come on so after further investigation it may be that the charger has a duff regulator.

stevo as b4 wrote:
The Babyboy is an automated charger with safety cut out, but it charges at a very low rate of mA which I believe is the correct way to charge these batteries.

Good enough for me, just ordered one. Thumbs Up

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with my aldi/lidl charger. Use it for the bike but also for other batteries inc a 110 AH lesure battery.
But for £18 that looks like a bargain. And includes the leads you can leave on the bike. Ordered.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1