Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is breaking for parts actually worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £600 Ill make sure the missus gives you a happy ending too! Shocked

From the sounds of all this, it sounds like breaking it will be a pain in the ass as I thought it would, and I really cant be bothered with it. I dont really have the room or time to invest in taking it apart.

Going round to the local Yamaha dealership tomorrow to test a Tracer 900 and most likely put the deposit on it! So as long as I can sell the bandit for at least something towards that deposit I'll be happy.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:42 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the money and run. Shifty

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Ste wrote:

I sold my XR250 as a non runner project bike.

https://i.imgur.com/9t56CtK.jpg

I used that for the main photo in the ad just to avoid people having any misconceptions about what type of life the bike had lived. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Needs lakepal.

Needs a fucking boat Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no LakePal or BoatPal. With no tape to to make a boat from, there was only one way to get the bike out and that involved two pairs of hands.

So Korn had to get his feet wet to help get my bike out of the puddle. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:24 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search your bike model on ebay, sold listings, cheapest first, £30 and up.

You want to find the items you can shift for at least £30 and add them up, based on making yours THE cheapest on ebay (so it sells first).

You want to be making at least 125% of your sale price for the complete bike before you even consider it.

Anything below £30 is potential profit, but its time and hassle, so look on it as beer money rather than relying on it.

Ideally you find that 5-6 things will cover the cost (engine, tank etc for instance)

I've just done a couple of cars which worked out ok (I wanted some free parts) but you need to go into it with your head straight.

nickyboy4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to break bikes, especially bandits and ebay is your only realistic option, problem is it's too easy these days for you to post and then get a chargeback for misdescribing and more importantly end up with loads of stuff people don't want, you'll definitely get to keep the wheels, footrests, rear light and indicators and the fairing unless they're good, last bandit motor i got £100 for it with a guarantee it was a runner, you really will regret breaking it

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickyboy4 wrote:
I used to break bikes, especially bandits and ebay is your only realistic option, problem is it's too easy these days for you to post and then get a chargeback for misdescribing and more importantly end up with loads of stuff people don't want, you'll definitely get to keep the wheels, footrests, rear light and indicators and the fairing unless they're good, last bandit motor i got £100 for it with a guarantee it was a runner, you really will regret breaking it

Then you have to factor in the costs for ebay and paypal. 10% for ebay unless you wait for some sort of deal and paypal charges as well (another 10% ish?)

It's certainly not worth it in my view.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:46 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends what it is you're breaking

a common car/bike will be pointless

a rare (non runner) car/bike will have lots of small parts people need and high demand for them.

I've had to pay £££ for year specific stuff the OEM factory no longer makes...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickyboy4 wrote:
I used to break bikes, especially bandits and ebay is your only realistic option, problem is it's too easy these days for you to post and then get a chargeback for misdescribing

Hmm I thought chargebacks were more for scammers. Some bits you get are marked (Evil or Very Mad) because apparently people try to return their broken bits Rolling Eyes

I have to say most items I look at (from breakers) seem to be poorly described with blurry photos. It's almost as if they do it on purpose Thinking

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash on collection is always preferable to Paypal.

If you're going to list stuff on eBay then recently I've found they like sending the £1 final value fee offers just after I've listed something which that offer would have been useful for.

So I click the link to accept the offer, then remove whatever it was I listed earlier and then immediately relist it. Laughing Thumbs Up

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
nickyboy4 wrote:
I used to break bikes, especially bandits and ebay is your only realistic option, problem is it's too easy these days for you to post and then get a chargeback for misdescribing

Hmm I thought chargebacks were more for scammers. Some bits you get are marked (Evil or Very Mad) because apparently people try to return their broken bits Rolling Eyes

I have to say most items I look at (from breakers) seem to be poorly described with blurry photos. It's almost as if they do it on purpose Thinking

They used to do that in the father in law's shop, buy reg/rec's etc. then try taking it back saying it wasn't working. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another case of why can't people just be honest. It annoys me cos I'd rather not have bits with markings on, but realistically you're not going to fit them, check they work, then take them off again just to remove the markings.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I broke a couple of knackered KH250s, sold some bits and binned the rest. With the benefit of hindsight it was not one of my better fiscal decisions...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2