Front tire, pr4?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Just fitted a set of the New PR5 to the VFR (Actually they dropped the 'Pilot' so it's just Road 5 now) so I'll have to report back once I have something useful to say about them.

Compared to pr4? Subscribed Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Pr4 at the moment. About 9k miles, 3mm left across the tire except right shoulder under 1mm. Only dissapoint that the uneven wear, seems common. I had pr3/pr2 before that, neither had this 50p squaring.

The CB1000r at work also has pr4 uneven wear but on both sides, like a 50p. He had the tire since 2016 but also drives car so less miles.

Have you checked over the suspension / alignment?
Unless you mean just the usual squaring off down the middle?

My pr4's are wearing pretty evenly.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Just fitted a set of the New PR5 to the VFR (Actually they dropped the 'Pilot' so it's just Road 5 now) so I'll have to report back once I have something useful to say about them.

They better be a significant improvement for the massive extra cost.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
ADSrox0r wrote:

Quite. It was a 'fuck it go on then' moment to try out the hype. If they aren't anything amazing I'll go back to T30s.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its more a case they have over produced the pr4 so a lot of early 2016 stock rotting on shelves. Two years down, with a 5 year shelf life. If the road 5 is reviewed well, noone will want to buy the old stock. A 25-35 quid price difference will get them sold. And then there will be a road 6.

I know it makes little difference, last year I had a 2013 part worn racetec, but I still *want* the current year stock if Im paying full price.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to hear your thoughts of the Road 5 as my Streety is in need of new boots, having gone through a couple of sets of PR4s last year.

I struggle to see past this range - they're superb. You can absolutely take the piss in the wet. I've found myself feeling a bit remorseful at how fast I was riding after some blasts in the pouring rain, but at the time it feels like you're on bone-dry tarmac.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up my loose CBF1000 wheels, freshly shod with Road 5 rubber. Now I have an evening ahead of me of brake cleaning and putting everything back together.

Not really expecting a noticeable difference in grip, simply because the outgoing PR4s have been faultless over the miles, even 95% worn in all the crappy weather we’ve had this “spring”.

Interesting to see how the handling pans out. I actually preferred the feel of the PR3 over the PR4, but got better mileage out of the PR4 without any apparent loss of grip.

Will report back.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:

I struggle to see past this range - they're superb. You can absolutely take the piss in the wet. I've found myself feeling a bit remorseful at how fast I was riding after some blasts in the pouring rain, but at the time it feels like you're on bone-dry tarmac.

Completely agree.

One issue, I did find I got punctures. 3 in 15k miles isn't many. But I've had zero in 20k from other tyres.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

One issue, I did find I got punctures. 3 in 15k miles isn't many. But I've had zero in 20k from other tyres.

I haven't had a single puncture in a motorcycle tyre in 35 years Mr. Green

Oh well, that's that fucked then Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm reporting the PR5 vs T30, I never had PR4 fitted so can't compare. Rode in a good old downpour the other night though and pushed the tires a bit to the point where I know the T30 will start to get squirmy (which are brilliant btw) and the PR5s didn't flinch. So far so good.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Not sure that adds up, comparing a pair of similar tyres:

RoadAttack 3 £233
Roadtec 01 £242
Pilot Road 4 £208
Road 5 £239

I ended up ordering the Road 5, hopefully they will be here today/tomorrow Smile

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR4 gave me 10K on the rear I think and 12k and counting on the front. I will probably spring for a Road 5 when the front gets replaced, which will be soon. They last really well, and the work in the cold and damp. If you're finding the limits of them in dry conditions on a public road, you're probably being more than a bit naughty.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2