Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Woody Harrelson is at his finest

He's one of the names I now look out for in a cast to judge whether I'm likely to enjoy a movie or not.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright - 6/10
Will Smith in modern day Lord of the Rings, Watchable.

Basically a film about race. I was recommended it very highly by a colleague... he said it was "AMAZING"... I have now learned to take what he says with a pinch of salt. It was slightly above average.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:50 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Blade Runner 7.4/10

I know this has been slated, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm a big PKD fan and do like quite a lot of the cinematic adaptations; but the original film never quite captured me, though Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep wasn't a favourite of his books either.

The new one I thought was nicely stylised and quite well captured the essence of many PKD stories.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 days in Entebbe - 1/10

Good god what a terrible film. You know how some American films are over the top patriotic jerking themselves off, well this was like that but for Israel except that it kind of isn't. Not sure what this film is trying to achieve.

All the actors were non-English native speakers but they all used English with that shitty pan-global accent that just sounds terrible.

The only good thing was about 1 minute of comedic relief in Idi Amin in the entire film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mute 2/10

I really need to stop trusting Netflix on recommendations.

The viking vampire from True Blood does some stuff in I think... Berlin? Somewhere in Germoney. Maybe. In the... near future? And he's Amish, probably, and can't speak. Lots of other people speak, but you mostly wish they wouldn't.

It's sort of Future Noir, sort of European arthouse, I can't quite find the tone they were going for, and I don't think the cast and crew knew either.

Either way, I stopped caring about 30 minutes in and cut my losses.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars and The Real Girl

Out of pure curiousity, I've wanted to watch this for a while. Ryan Gosling plays a socially awkward bloke who lives in the garage of his childhood home, and buys himself a Real Doll, and has a relationship with it / her. The entire town play along. I loved it, I thought it was a brilliant, beautiful, moving film. I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

Little bit of trivia - the nerdy lass at work with eyes for Lars is the punky girl from Green Days "Jesus Of Suburbia" video.

Anyways, solid 8.5/10

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I stopped caring about 30 minutes in and cut my losses.

So 8/10 extrapolated for the whole movie then?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Down

Shia LaBeouf imho his best performance to date. He plays an Army Vet in a sad tale about PTSD, it's grim and harrowing and moving. Worthy of a second watch, Gary Oldman and Jai Courtney also feature.

9.5/10

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:03 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Rabbit 7-10

Went to cinema with the kids to watch this yesterday & thought it was a good adaption.

Only thing that i did't like was James Cordons voice as Peter. Although i thought he was good in Gavin and Stacy, his voice is like nails on a blackboard Shocked

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready Player One - 5/10

Warner Bros trying to make bank off the new gaming generation.

It's a children's film with too many plot holes, and a narrative which is best described as a load of impossible situations overcome by nonsense 'eureka' moments.

Absolutely loaded with pop culture game and film references, but really that didn't mean much. Films are supposed to tell a story or present an idea. I'd have at least expected something a bit more 'sci fi' about it. It's just a simple childish action film with the usual hero, villain, quest etc, which happens to be set in a computer game(ish) world.

Just watch Tron instead.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went and saw Ready Player One last weekend

We enjoyed it. I haven't read the book yet, so I had no expectations. I thought it was OK, and I enjoyed the references more than the film, but the film was worth a watch. As mentioned, massive plot holes are plenty, but they didn't ruin the film for me.

7/10

Also, saw Red Sparrow

I wasn't massively fussed over seeing this, but I enjoyed it. The Mrs and my son had trouble following the story, and it gets a bit convoluted at times, but there is bewbs, arse and violence.

7.5/10

Following on from that, I watched The Death Of Stalin

Loosely based on true events following Stalins death, it was quite funny in a dark way, but didn't seem to have much purpose, and the acting was more like an improvisational play. Worth a watch, but rent rather than buy.

6.8/10

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:32 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

War for the Planet of the Apes [3D] - 07/10

The story isn't bad, it looks good and that's about it. No wonder everybody thinks American soldiers are idiots with stuff like this about, unless that is how they operate, then they'll will need to start recruiting from pre-school.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hitmans Bodyguard 8/10

Whats not to like? Ryan "Deadpool" Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson both doing that they do best. The former being silly funny at times the latter saying muthafukka lots. Add in guns, car chases, explosions. Yeah the story is rubbish but by god its funny at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:53 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nymphomaniac Volume I - 7/10

Lars von Trier, definitely nsfw Laughing

I'm looking forward to Volume II.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:53 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday - took the woman to watch Ghost Stories at the cinema.

Originally a play, it is quite a fun film with a few jumpscares thrown in. Paul "Fast Show" Whitehouse is unbelieveably good in the limited time that he's in, as is Martin "The Office" Freeman. The cinema was absolutely packed.

7.5/10

The Social Network

The Mrs fell asleep first time she watched this, so didn't remember anything about it. The boy hadn't seen it. it's a really enjoyable story about the creation and creators of Facebook.

7/10

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:57 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor: Ragnarok 8/10

Probably the most 'fun' MCU movie so far, absolutely hilarious jokes, great casting, great effects, nothing tacked on, nothing extraneous. Not Shakespeare, but probably the most fun I've had watching a movie in years and years.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Grit (2010)

A mate of mine is trying to open his horizons as far as films go and was asking for recommendations for "Westerns". I'm not a fan of the genre, but someone was banging on about this so much that I thought that I'd give it a try. What a brilliant film, and up there with Unforgiven for Westerns that I like. Jeff Bridges is amazing as Rooster Cogburn, Matt Damon is impressive as Texas Ranger Lebouef, and Haillee Stanfield is outstanding in her first role. Barry Pepper turns up and is massively underrated as an actor, and Josh Brolin only has about 8 minutes of screentime, but does well with it.

8/10

Isle Of Dogs

Took the lad (15) to see this last night. What a brilliant, charming, lovely film. The animation is what it is, but the story and the setting is perfect and the characters are the heartbeat of this film. I loved it, and the lad wants to go and watch it again.

8.5/10

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:18 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Isle Of Dogs

Took the lad (15) to see this last night. What a brilliant, charming, lovely film. The animation is what it is, but the story and the setting is perfect and the characters are the heartbeat of this film. I loved it, and the lad wants to go and watch it again.

8.5/10

Every time I see this title, I keep thinking it's a film about Millwall.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spinning man.

Pierce Brosnan, Guy Pearce in a rather strange whodunit. Both sterling actors but this film was pure shite. Brosnan was just in this one for the money, girl goes missing; ends up dead. Blah Blah Blah, don't bother.

1/10.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ritual

We missed this at the cinema, but the mrs really fancied watching it, I thought it looked a bit boring. Genuinely decent british horror with some dark humour in there. Following the death of a friend, three blokes go hiking in Sweden, and stumble upon a weird creature that is hunting them, whilst coming across weird runes, a strange statue and various dead animals, ripped apart. Worth a watch.

7/10

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 12:10 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Den Of Thieves - 7/10

This reminded me a lot of "The Town", where it's a concentrated area in the U.S. where more banks are robbed than anywhere else in the world. The crew are all trained military guys and execute their jobs with complete precision, which brings the attention of a group of bent coppers .

Gerard Butler plays his usual type cast role in this but I didn't mind that. Good to see Ice Cube's son in something else too, since the NWA movie.

I enjoyed it, felt tense through-out the film, was some good gun fights and a cool plot twist.

I'd watch it again in several months for sure.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:01 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian 8/10

Since Fifth Element is my favourite film id wanted to watch this for a long time - but heard bad reviews.

I really liked it. No obvious storyline and a bit of depth.

Plus Delevigne is fit....

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:25 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Young Offenders - 4/10.

Not bad for what it is, I guess, but it quickly became tiresome.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Valerian 8/10

Since Fifth Element is my favourite film id wanted to watch this for a long time - but heard bad reviews.

I really liked it. No obvious storyline and a bit of depth.

Plus Delevigne is fit....

Kinda agree, Nice to see the aliens from 5th element in there at the start, Storyline kind of exists but gets muddled in with all the pretty stuff, but it is very pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:35 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 Strong - 7/10

Aside from being a lovely bit of propaganda for the yanks, it was an entertaining film.

Molly's Game - 7/10

Jessica Chastain is hot. Cracking set of tits on her too. Enjoyable film to watch and if it's true to the real story... it's some story.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 149 of 194