Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone know about small [split] aircon units?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Anyone know about small [split] aircon units? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a small pre-gassed split system (outside/inside units) for DIY install (with help from an electrician) - I saw this:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq-9wminvqc/electriq-eiq9wminvqc-air-conditioner

The outside unit will be within a couple of metres of the inside unit - it's pre-gassed so I'm guessing I need to lose the extra hose in the wall.
It looks cheap & cheerful - avoid or ok? - any other recommendations?

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 03:26 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't kink a line it'll work.

I use one that was 700 nz dollars.

Not for a full size house but good for my cottage sized place.

Does consume 1200 watts.

I've noticed the full sized use 1.8-2.4 kw compressor.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:18 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone know about small [split] aircon units? Reply with quote

You can get caravan ones that can be fairly easily split I think and some designed to be hung out of a window with really flat pipes.

However you're talking something like a quarter the BTU of the one you linked to - so maybe a bit *too* small!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:07 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took delivery of one of these beasts.

https://uk.trotec.com/products/machinery-homecomfort/air-conditioning/comfort-air-conditioners-of-the-pac-series/pac3500e/

£307 (+ additional £15 for the window kit)

I researched a bit before buying.

I also considered a split unit but I think for our temporary 'summer' a split unit was possibly a bit ghey.

This unit is relatively quiet (most noise when compressor is running/ cooling). It cools my room relatively quickly 1°C drop in about ten mins.
The window vent is a bit phaph but manageable.

Split units are really quiet as the noise maker is banished to the outside.
They have no/much less phapery with vents etc.
And they take up less space.
But most require professional/trades to fit.
Mainly due to the gassing part.
Possible Part (something) electrical code regulations too.

Rockhopper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:25 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Toshiba 2.5kw split unit in my bedroom. The outside unit is powered from the inside unit which plugs into a normal 13 amp socket. I also thought I could fit it myself but my AC business owning mate did it and it took him most of the day. I was glad I didn’t attempt it!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and; should still be some good second hand deals around now if you want to save a bit - right time of the year etc (well, maybe a few weeks ago when we had snow!).

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone know about small [split] aircon units? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I'm looking for a small pre-gassed split system (outside/inside units) for DIY install (with help from an electrician) - I saw this:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq-9wminvqc/electriq-eiq9wminvqc-air-conditioner

The outside unit will be within a couple of metres of the inside unit - it's pre-gassed so I'm guessing I need to lose the extra hose in the wall.
It looks cheap & cheerful - avoid or ok? - any other recommendations?

I'm surrounded by them here in Cyprus, we have 'em in the bedrooms.
There doesn't seem to be much brand loyalty, although "Haier" seem quite popular. I guess most of 'em are made in China, draw your own conclusions.
Ours are "Rowa" units, 9000 btu cooling, rated for 480cubic meters per hour, they've been in for 10 years never had a problem with 'em, never needed to re gas. TBH they don't get used much so if your going to be using one daily you should do some research.
Make sure the cubic meter per hour figure, quoted on the unit, is enough to move at least 2.5 to 3 times the volume of the room per hour, otherwise you're wasting your money!
If you're using the unit for cooling, for maximum efficiency set the temperature to 3 degrees lower than the ambient temperature, there is no point setting it any lower, believe me I should know!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:25 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if air conditioning would increase the value of a house?
My house is 3 floors so my bedroom on the top floor can overheat in summer. I keep looking at this stuff but I couldn’t justify the cost of equipment and installation for the two weeks I’d use it.

I keep thinking of just getting a condensing unit for the bedroom and adapting the collector bottle into a hose pipe that just goes in the sink.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 85 days between these two posts...

Premium Cat
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I, we tried once DIY installing on our own the AC, because we moved in a new house. It was a bad idea, and we ended up buying a new one Confused

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new what? House? AC unit? NobCat? Spambot?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new husband?

Premium Cat
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:10 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to buy a new AC unit of course! haha Very Happy

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit the wife on the air handler of our two ton unit because it runs more often and longer than the washing machine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:27 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I sit the wife on the air handler of our two ton unit because it runs more often and longer than the washing machine.

/\ 2 much information.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

/\ 2 much information.

Well, I can either tell you about the missus or the parents. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingrowzelqui wrote:
My sister and I, we wanted once DIY installing on our own the AC, because we decided to try to live separately from our parents, so we wanted to see if we can succeed. We googled and informed ourselves about the process, so we thought we were ready to do it. It wasn’t such a good idea after all, as you can imagine, because we’re not professionals, and don’t know a lot about these technics. So, we ended up failing, and we had to ask for a professional’s help. Thank god the guys from https://www.catsnknobs.com/ came to assist us that evening because I’m sure if they didn’t, we’d ended up screwing the AC. Such interesting adventure in the middle of the summer was quite the experiment. Never again!

You used God in your post so it's fake news.
sgneeds This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgneeds wrote:
MCN wrote:

You used God in your post so it's fake news.

What happened to that comment? Did he link it to an air con servicing
post? Like this website? I have been seeing a lot of it recently.

https://sghomeneeds.com/services/aircon-servicing

Oh go on then, I'll chuck you a spam rating. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1