Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My new Tracer 900

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:11 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: My new Tracer 900 Reply with quote

So having had enough of the Bandit, and old bikes letting me down in general, Ive been hankering for a new bike. I miss my old FZS600 Fazer and fancied an FZ1 but it seems theres only about 3 of them in the whole country for sale and none ULEZ compliant. A Divvy perhaps I thought, then saw they only came in 600 flavour. Maybe I'll give Honda or BMW a shot, I rather like the look of the Crosstourer and the GS series bikes.

Then I wistfully perused my local Yamaha dealer for inspiration, knowing theres no way I could afford a brand new one anyway... and this caught my eye. An ex-display model (not demo, just sat in a shop window to be looked at and drooled over) on sale to make way for the new 2018 model being released in a few weeks.

Owo wats dis??? I thought to myself. And booked a test ride the following day.

After being thoroughly underwhelmed by the Crosstourer and its complete lack of guts, and the competence yet blandness of the GS bikes this machine was a totally different beast. So light and agile, and enough torque and acceleration to rip your arms off and plaster a stupid grin across your face without any problems. It is without a doubt one of the best bikes I'd ever test-rode, so after umming and ahhing all the way back to the dealership post-test ride, in a moment of impulsiveness I slapped down the deposit, and a week later it'd now tucked up in my garage <3

https://i.imgur.com/s7HWU5z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PifrZxy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IWMjR5d.jpg

I had the dealership fit the Yamaha LED indicators that double up as additional running/tail/brake lights, I have no idea why manufacturers insist on making brand new bikes with LED lights all round... except the indicators. As well as the Yamaha heated grips with controls integrated into the clocks display rather than bodging on some ugly aftermarket ones myself and doing a crap job of it.

Initially I wasnt too sure about the colour, I've always had blue bikes, blue is my colour, and all my kit is blue themed... but I thought seeing as its £1500 off the regular price, Im sure I can get it resprayed for less than £1500 if I really want. But now the colour is growing on me, chances are I'll leave it as-is.

Absolutely love this bike so far, and cant wait for some adventures on it.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice of bike. I have owned my one since it was released in 2015 (Race Blu version) but it's days are numbered as I put a deposit down for the Tracer 900 GT version which my dealer believes should be with me at the end of May

I can't fault the bike at all in the nearly 3 years I have owned it. Thousands of happy miles, touring, weekend blast, it does it all

It really is a brilliant machine

Enjoy your new ride. I like the mountain green Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's how I ended up with mine. Test ride to deposit in the space of 2 hours. Laughing I'm off to try an MT10
in just over a week, I wonder how that's going to pan out. Embarassed You won't get tired of that engine, that's for sure. My
Spacker has no traction control fitted as it's an older model year, which makes for the odd ring clenching moment but I'd
sooner have none than the electronic interference tbh. I'm not fond of driver aids in cars, turns out even less so on a bike.
I honestly wonder how these aren't 850 triples aren't more popular than they are? Lots of bang for buck.
I put LED indicators on mine only yesterday, but not the running lights ones, they aren't my cuppa looks wise.
Remind me of
https://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/Super-55-Dynamic-Microphone/620524000000000-00-500x500.jpg

They are supplied with black and silver covers, your dealer gave you the spares right?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I honestly wonder how these aren't 850 triples aren't more popular than they are? Lots of bang for buck.

Seem to me to be pretty popular, see them everywhere in their various guises. Quite a few folks from the Fazer forum have made the switch. Sounds to me like Yamaha really got it right with the motor at least, although I'm quite happy without electronic rider aids too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the electronic rider aids. Never have I had the ABS kick in and if you want to have full on fun then just turn the TCS down a notch or off

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL- wrote:
I don't mind the electronic rider aids. Never have I had the ABS kick in and if you want to have full on fun then just turn the TCS down a notch or off

Yeah, it's just that I've never had a bike with them. If I was in the market for something new, as long as you can turn them off if wanted, it wouldn't bother me, except that I'd be paying more for something I didn't particularly want.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:07 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy! That motor is a lot of fun..

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Yeah, that's how I ended up with mine. Test ride to deposit in the space of 2 hours. Laughing I'm off to try an MT10

Going for the free goodie bag? I'm taking the MT09 SP out next Friday.

I tried the tracer and mt10 back to back. The MT10 is much quicker, awesome power. It's a more serious feeling machine and handles like it's on rails. It's really good.

I prefered the tracer though. It was more playful, lively and made me grin more. I reckon it suits me better. The 10 is an awesomeachine though.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Going for the free goodie bag? I'm taking the MT09 SP out next Friday.

I tried the tracer and mt10 back to back. The MT10 is much quicker, awesome power. It's a more serious feeling machine and handles like it's on rails. It's really good.

I prefered the tracer though. It was more playful, lively and made me grin more. I reckon it suits me better. The 10 is an awesomeachine though.

I agree. I have taken the 10 out on a few occasions, once on my own and another time with the wife on the back and it is a seriously impressive machine. The fuel range was disappointing.

Like you, I prefer the tracer as it's easier to live with it and does everything the 10 does (ok, it does it slower!) but also enables me to do some good trips away without worrying about loosing performance

The tracer in the alps = perfect!

Roll on May for the GT version Cool

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Going for the free goodie bag?

Why yes, indeed I am. Laughing My life will not be complete without a "Masters of Torque" t shirt. I also feel as
if I'm owed one having already supported the brand. Folded arms Deliberately didn't want to try the MT09 SP although I was offered one.
I can handle a higher class of bike being better than mine but not the same class. What I don't want at the end of this,
is to feel regret for having bought the Spacker. Crying or Very sad

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
kgm wrote:
Going for the free goodie bag?

Why yes, indeed I am. Laughing My life will not be complete without a "Masters of Torque" t shirt. I also feel as
if I'm owed one having already supported the brand. Folded arms Deliberately didn't want to try the MT09 SP although I was offered one.
I can handle a higher class of bike being better than mine but not the same class. What I don't want at the end of this,
is to feel regret for having bought the Spacker. Crying or Very sad

When I brought the Tracer they gave me loads of the MT branded gear (Hoodie, T-Shirts, Wallet, Pens, Caps) then in 2016 they moved the Tracer out of the MT range into the roads of life range Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't have asked for much more than my Spacker brand new and OTR for 6500, which is what I got.
Loads of Strife range? Cool Haven't heard of that yet. Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike that, top choice! Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Nice bike that, top choice! Thumbs Up

Hello stranger.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1