Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you holiday in Wales?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

producer123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:50 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Would you holiday in Wales? Reply with quote

Installing a bathroom is a very simple undertaking. While you may, of course, call a plumber to come do it, be ready to devote a fantastic deal more. I like to do things myself, and discovered that installing a toilet was way down the set in level of difficulty. In fact, I found out that it is much easier to install a bathroom than it is to fix one. My attempts at fixing the old toilet broke it, thus the need to put in a brand new one. In general it was more expensive to purchase the new bathroom, however more affordable than it might have been to call a plumber to fix my older one. I would say that I came out ahead in more ways than one(https://toiletword.com/).

The first step to installing a toilet is choosing one out. This is not quite like choosing furniture, but there are unique styles. I don't too much care about the appearances as it's something you've got to get, and well, you look after your company and leave. You are not just standing around admiring your bathroom or picking out drapes to match. There are two-piece toilets. It will not actually make a good deal of difference in function with this. One-piece toilets just have the tank and bowl as a single unit and also the two-piece one's? You guessed it; they are two pieces. Lady, you catch on fast!

My Primary consideration in choosing out my new Bathroom was room available. The toilet it was being set up inside is little, and there is not a great deal of room to maneuver about. I was actually seeking to duplicate what was already there. If you are doing remodeling job on your toilet and shifting the fittings, you might have a little more leeway on your job than I did.

You'll find regular height and seat height toilets, and that simply refers to how high off the ground the chair is. The seat height versions are less difficult for many people to use, especially those with mobility problems, so it might be something to take into account. Additionally, there are round bowl and skillet versions. The elongated version is larger. Since I was replacing a round bowl bathroom and did not have extra space to spare, the more round bowl was exactly what I depended on.

You also should be certain the toilet you're installing will fit along with the flange. The flange is fundamentally the part the bathroom attaches to in which the drain goes through the ground. Most baths have the distance from the wall to the middle of the flange measured to twelve inches. If, for any reason, it is anything less ensure that you measure to be certain your new bathroom will fit. A select few of you might be searching for something different and also have a wall mounted bathroom free of flange or drain to the ground. If that is you, you can stop reading since my installation instructions don't apply to a circumstance.

Okay, you have found your ideal throne and therefore are Prepared to start installing your own toilet. You are going to need any wrenches, a screwdriver, plumber's putty or plumber's tape (yes it is a particular thing ), a hacksaw, and even if your bathroom didn't come with a wax ring. Now, double check that you have the proper size wax ring if you need to buy it separately as there are a couple of different dimensions. At times you might even want two to pile on top of one another if the floor height is too much over the flange. A wax ring is quite self explanatory. It is a ring of wax. . .genius! It's purpose it to prevent any escapes against the flange area which would be under the floor and very hard to discover.
https://i.imgur.com/gROQmo2.png
You need to first turn off your water source behind the bathroom and also disconnect the old bathroom. Ensure to have flushed it emptied any residual water from it. Don't neglect the tank. Even after flushing, there's usually a good little water left there, and that means you are going to want to sop it up with a towel or sponge or something like that.

For my project, the actual elimination of the old Bathroom was the toughest part. The reason for this was that the bolts in the ground holding the toilet to the flange proved very rusty, and there wasn't any turning the nuts to loosen them. Based on your circumstances, you may want to use some jojoba oil here or hacksaw off the bolts. If you are tossing the old toilet it actually doesn't matter, but you should be mindful of security . Toilets are made of ceramic and can shatter like glass, so eye protection and gloves wouldn't be a bad idea . Tons of older toilets are caulked around the foundation also, so you might choose to have a blade and cut the caulk all the way round. When you've the bolts and some old caulk eliminated you need to be able to lift off the toilet of the flange. The old wax ring can provide just a small resistance, but it is mostly only goopy, soft wax. After you have the off toilet, things a towel into the drain pipe to prevent anything falling into it. Trust me, this is a plumber call should you drop your resources into the hole! Toss the old bathroom(https://toiletszones.com/best-composting-toilet-reviews).

You are likely to need to do away with as much of their old wax ring as you can. Here a level tool such as a putty knife might be useful, but it's very important to have as much of this old wax removed as you can. Now at this time, should you find your flange is damaged, you're going to need to get from the old checkbook because that's not a do it yourself job unless you chance to be a plumber. And if you are a plumber, why the heck are you reading ? In case your flange is achievable, then grab your new bathroom and set it up on the flange to inspect level. In the event you will need to shim anything, this will tell you where to take action. Remove the new toilet.

If your new toilet is really a two-piece, follow the Directions to attach the tank into the bowl. Now take your new bathroom, turn it upside down, and set up the wax ring. The wax ring is going to have plastic funnel a part at the center. This needs to be facing , so that it will be inside the flange. The wax section goes up toward the bathroom ; press it in place. You might also want to put some putty around the foundation, but don't put it all the way around. You want to have a difference somewhere, so that if the bathroom leaks, you may see it.

Place your bolts into the slots in the flange. There ought to be an elongated keyhole slot where you can slip the bolts in, turn them and slide them into position on opposite faces of the flange.

You may need another person that will assist you guide the bathroom itself on top of the two bolts at precisely the same moment. I was able to do it , but another pair of hands and eyes could have been fine. When you have it sitting on the flange using the bolts coming up through the holes at the base, give a small strain on top of the chair / bowl region to seat the wax ring.

Now twist the nuts on the flange bolts and tighten them. Be careful to not over tighten as it isn't too tough to decipher the base, and then you're back into the store getting a new toilet. No, I am not kidding! It actually is preferable here to not caulk around the base, but if you didn't use putty or possess some unsightly gaps proceed. I'll admit I'd use caulk, however it was only due to gaps at the bottom, not any demand to get a seal. And do make sure you leave a portion around back with caulk in order to have the ability to find a leak should it happen. Should you seal in the flows, then they are going to go unnoticed and ruin your own floor. Now you wish to speak about an expensive repair!

The final step remaining for this article on Installing a bathroom will be to hook up your own water distribution line. When I Bought the toilet, I bought a flexible stainless mesh water line created For toilets. It had been an Excess few dollars, but it prevented me Having to bend tubing into position. This makes the task that much Easier. Just make sure to wrap some plumber's tape around the threads Before tightening the links. Open up the water supply, and assess Carefully for leaks around the links in the wall and the tank. If There are leaks, take apart the connections, eliminate plumber's tape, and also redo Them till they do not leak. When You get it, let the tank flush and fill Your new toilet. You may have some fine tuning to do to get the flush and Water level to your liking. Just follow the manufacturer's directions, And do not ask me. I'm no bathroom expert(What is The Top Best Flushing toilet reviews to buy & most powerful flushing toilets|How to choose them)!

That is it! You are finished installing a toilet. Hopefully this has Saved you some cash, and taught you that there are all kinds of things you are able to Do all the home that seem complicated, but really are not. Now I can Sit back and await the hate mail from plumbers to start rolling in![/img]

Last edited by producer123 on 10:00 - 26 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:15 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Would you holiday in Wales? Reply with quote

producer123 wrote:
We're in the process of buying this park

Link?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have caught me in a sensible mood. Shocked

What makes you decide to go abroad or stay here during the summer?.
Dogsitter.

Where have you been in Wales?.
Went there once to collect my dog in Camarthenshire. And another time somewhere else a bit grim and council estate
looking (I forget exactly where) to pickup a set of steel wheels for a 2004 Skoda Fabia whilst on my way to a Stag do in Central
London. True story.

Where have you stayed?.
Nowherein Wales, but I live nearby in Bristol. I can be in Wales within 40 minutes if I take the Gentlemans Express.

What do you need as a motorcyclist on holiday?
Never been on a bike specific holiday because married, I'm afraid I have to involve that pesky wife in any holiday plans.

What do you most often lack as a motorcyclist on holiday?.
Honestly? The bike. I've lost count of places we've been where I've said "I wish I had my bike here".

How many of you go on holiday as a group?.
Bike specific? It would be just me, so one.

What would be your upper limit for accomodation?.
Depends on the accommodation. But about £150 a night for an up to 10 day break somewhere decent with at least 1
meal provided daily. Possibly more for a shorter weekend break, but I'd want luxurious. Less per day for a longer stay 10 days plus.

Bearing in mind the speed limits, how far would you expect to ride in a day whilst on holiday?.
150 odd miles round trip if visiting somewhere you get off and explore/experience. More if riding for
ridings sake.

Would you be interested in activities that don't involve bikes?.
Definitely, but exciting ones. Ain't got no time for macrame and pottery. Shooting and archery spring to mind.

Would a workshop or secure parking be a decision-changing factor?.
Workshop isn't necessary, I wouldn't take a temperamental bike on a biking holiday anyway. Most bikers who holiday
on their bikes have recovery of some sort and prep their bikes for the trip, the credit card is there for unexpected stuff.
Good facilities for me personally would not only keep the bike secure, but also out of view and undercover.
I don't let my bike get wet unless its being cleaned. Laughing

Last edited by grr666 on 19:50 - 23 Mar 2018; edited 2 times in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I holiday on my bike in Wales? = yes and I have in the past.
What would make me return and holiday in Wales again?

Secure bike parking would be a big incentive to encourage me to book a particular B&B/hotel/hostel.
Activities other than bikes? , like Mr Grr said, archery and or shooting would interest me.
As for price? = that depends on the quality of the service I expect to receive.
That is moot really as I always try to keep my cost to a minimum.

However anywhere in Wales is a rain magnet when I’m there Crying or Very sad
Wonderful roads blighted by way to much rain.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:27 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
No.

+1

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
No.

+1

+3 .. over crowded , pigg infested sh1t hole ...
though the DFDS is not fantastically better .. but its only two nites in total...

vast majority of bikers .. that i know of .. have done the wales, scotland .. even cornwall trip .. probably more than once .. and are ready to jump over the water ..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

vast majority of bikers .. that i know of .. have done the wales, scotland .. even cornwall trip .. probably more than once .. and are ready to jump over the water ..

The thing about Wales is, you get great roads and good scenery without having to cross the channel. But the other thing about Wales is, it already has all the facilities you need: cafes, camp sites, B&Bs, alternative activities etc. So another place wouldn't make me even more inclined to go.
Also, I'd be more interested in Wales north of the Brecon Beacons, and south of Snowdonia; less fuzz, especially during the week.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much motivation I have for dealing with officials in other countries.

Where have you stayed?.

I've seen a metric fuckton of Wales, but that's because I live in Wales Wink

Good roads. Something I can chuck a bloody big lock around.

See Above.

Depends, 2-10 Usually.

Not much, camping is preferable for about half of us that go wandering.

Bearing in mind the speed limits, how far would you expect to ride in a day whilst on holiday?.

Depends on the roads. 200-300 miles.

No.

Yes, but less so than location and roads. The Beacon's are stunning, but there's other places with better roads.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

being from and in wales... I'd not holiday here really as it's all on my doorstep.

but i've done a lot of riding and driving on all of the good bits, well known and positively ignored.

there is a lot of tarmac to cover if you really want to see wales beyond the usual couple of runs everyone does. all of it excellent (surfaces variable)

I don't really stay in the uk for holidays due to cost. I've always found it vastly cheaper to go away. cost of hotels, food, drink, etc all usually better (depending on where you are obviously) and the weather is nicer.

where are you exactly? because cardigan isn't near the beacons, which makes your post very confusing.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi Powderhead and Copycat, I was being ironic. I live in Wales, but I holiday elsewhere.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi Powderhead and Copycat, I was being ironic. I live in Wales, but I holiday elsewhere.

well don't come to newcastle cos we`re all literal here ...

do you have a mineral deficiency .. you can get tablets for that ..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Wales, but I holiday elsewhere.

I don't know which is worse Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wales is just over the border for me, Scotland is just up the road and the Lakes are around the corner. All are good for bikes and holidays. Prefer west Scotland though.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:14 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wales is not a destination, it's a country with people, schools, homes and some tourism. I lived in England for 50 odd years and have lived in S Wales for 16. Both have lovely places to holiday. No doubt residents everywhere who don't directly gain from tourism find tourists a pain. But we can all be selfish at different levels. My patch is the Gower, only spoiled by tourists but many areas of Wales are depressed and no doubt depend on the tourist industry as they do my council tax! I bike where I live and never crave to tour. But that's just me. When you visit Wales or anywhere for that matter, have a thought for locals who are just getting by, not on holiday. Welsh people are steeped in their cultural past so get to know about it if you come and not just the roads, beaches etc. I know a lot of local bikers. The twisties are popular day trips (Brecons etc) and the coast except it can be too crowded at popular times. As for the rain..there is plenty of it but as Welsh people will tell you, it's Welsh rain and after all this is God's Country. Tour in Wales by all means but bear in mind, many are passionate about the Rugby and not over keen on the English if they are honest! Mind, I live in a tourist spot so you don't always bump into locals. I have a lovely Welsh wife and an English past. Suits me fine. Wales is a holiday to many but home to many more. Bikes and Wales - sounds a good combination to me!

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Wales

Sorry for your loss Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:33 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Would you holiday in Wales? Reply with quote

producer123 wrote:

Pure whim. Mostly because I don't like flying. airports.

Quote:

Everywhere pretty much. But the South coast sucked balls. Especially Milford Haven.

Quote:
Where have you stayed?.

Likewise.

Quote:

Nothing specifically different to anyone else. A lack of traffic on the roads and drugged-up fighty locals would be nice.

Quote:

A drying room.

Quote:

Somewhere between 1 and 18

Quote:

Depends on the accommodation and who I'm with. I don't usually pay at all (wild camp, bothy etc) but I have also rented a house before today.

Quote:

between 0 and 400 miles.

Quote:

Yes. Last time I went to wales was for canoeing, but I also took my bike.

Quote:

No.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Wales is not a destination, it's a country with people, ......... not over keen on the English if they are honest! !

yeah well .. if we're bein honest ..then the feelin is mutual ....

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a few days there last summer (my first time in Wales), quite enjoyed it, didn't see as many specticular roads as I wanted due to our total lack of planning which consisted of google mapping random places the night before and hoping for the best. I'd go again. Going to Ireland this year, still haven't toured Scotland despite being an hour away from the boarder, shameful really.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1