Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NCD error a false declaration?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: NCD error a false declaration? Reply with quote

Let's say a person had a minor claim that was paid out as fault and the person should have lost 2 yrs NCD, but on renewal they find that they have been awarded an extra year's NCD instead of losing 2 yrs. Would that constitute any kind of false declaration, given that the renewal letter says check all details and notify us of any errors?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's enough moaning about insurance on here without playing russian roulette with the rules. If the potential savings were...lets say £500 Thinking Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
There's enough moaning about insurance on here without playing russian roulette with the rules. If the potential savings were...lets say £500 Thinking Laughing

I thought that little bit of paper with your NCB on was proof. I've not heard of any insurer saying you lie, you no have that much NCB. I've heard them say we think you lie, show us bit of paper.

I'd be nervous about using 'mistaken' NCB with the same insurer however.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your personal details, fair enough, but they define and manage the NCD system, not you. Who knows how it works, eh? I'd keep quiet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this person had their no claims discount protected and simply thought it all looked as it should.

The whole ncd protection is still complete bullshit if you ask me, shouldn't be allowed but then again all of insurance is bullshit Evil or Very Mad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:30 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is arry doing jail time for, well, whatever insurers do?

NCD is entirely at the whim of the cartel. The cartel giveth, and the cartel taketh away.

If they'd giveth me +1 rather than taketh away -2, I wouldn't presume to question their infallibility. Praying

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:34 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking for a friend Smile who is this person?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Is arry doing jail time for, well, whatever insurers do?

NCD is entirely at the whim of the cartel. The cartel giveth, and the cartel taketh away.

If they'd giveth me +1 rather than taketh away -2, I wouldn't presume to question their infallibility. Praying

Totally agree.

I've just insured my new boat. The company I have used in the past for my boats have given me, in writing, 18 years of no claims. That is not true as for 4 of those years I didn't have a boat.

When my new insurance company asked for NCD, I said I have in writing 18 years from Craftinsure. They said fine, send us a scan.

In the end though I cannot understand why they don't have all this on a common database. It would make life so much easier.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Perhaps this person had their no claims discount protected and simply thought it all looked as it should.

The whole ncd protection is still complete bullshit if you ask me, shouldn't be allowed but then again all of insurance is bullshit Evil or Very Mad

It's another way to make money, although I wish I had protected my single years NCB on the bike, as it made a big difference to quotes when I lost it. Not sure about multiple years NCB, 1>2 years on the bike made a negligible difference (~£5), and gaining a years NCB on the car made no real difference either, but turning 30 reduced my premium by £400 Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:59 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a classic policy and went back to a normal one, they asked about my NCB. I said they don't do NCB on my old policy BUT they will happily do me a letter saying I've been insured with them for 5 years and have never had a claim.

Apparently, this isn't the same as an NCB and "It doesn't work like that". Apparently it's not an indication of your relative risk based on how long you've been insured without a claim and more of a loyalty/incentive scheme. So if I've been insured for five years but they company I'm with don't do NCB, then my NCB is zero. (It was Carole Nash who told me this).

So, your NCB is what the current shysters are offering you. If you have documentary proof of what they have decided it should be, that's what it is.

If they claim otherwise, a) You have documentary proof and b) Tell them from me "It doesn't work like that".

Answer the question posed though "How much NCB do you have?" The answer is what is says on your renewal. "Have you had any claims in the last 5 years?" You should probably tell them. But still say you have whatever NCB is on your renewal.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:16 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
piazza wrote:

I thought that little bit of paper with your NCB on was proof. I've not heard of any insurer saying you lie, you no have that much NCB. I've heard them say we think you lie, show us bit of paper.

It's a renewal. Same broker, different underwriter. No protection in place. Offending claim listed in the renewal details with NCD AFFECTED- YES alongside.

They were expecting to lose 2yrs ncd but gained one instead. They are happy to take several hundred quid in saving but nervous that it might constitute a false declaration and get their policy cancelled if it comes to light. I said no way the worst you'd get is a letter asking for monies since you haven't declared the NCD that's awarded by the broker but I thought I'd ask here just to get a wider opinion because the renewal does say to check all the details.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:12 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st year of driving I got given 2 years NCB.

Never ever got queried Laughing used them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since nobody outside the cartel knows the subtle and esoteric rules that they use to giveth and taketh, how can we check that detail?

I'd chalk that up to a win. Any questions, refer them to themselves.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:03 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Agree 100%. If I had documentation from an insurer saying I had n years NCB, I'd use those n years NCB without a second thought.

I might consider ringing the insurer up asking a casual question... "just wanted to check how many years NCB I have, please?" If it matched, I'd consider the paperwork gospel and forget about it.

M.C wrote:

Also this. I'd want to move on in case they fixed their mistake and shafted me somehow.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a similar vein, say you used a single NCB on two policies... got away with it for a year unscathed then had two separate renewals, each saying X years NCB.

Win?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:06 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
I might consider ringing the insurer up asking a casual question... "just wanted to check how many years NCB I have, please?" If it matched, I'd consider the paperwork gospel and forget about it.

What would you do if it didn't match?

Bear in mind that even if you could persuade them to screw you, they'd go in both ends, both for a higher premium and a policy change charge.

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
In a similar vein, say you used a single NCB on two policies... got away with it for a year unscathed then had two separate renewals, each saying X years NCB.

Win?

<so-much-win.png>

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
They were expecting to lose 2yrs ncd but gained one instead. They are happy to take several hundred quid in saving but nervous that it might constitute a false declaration and get their policy cancelled if it comes to light. I said no way the worst you'd get is a letter asking for monies since you haven't declared the NCD that's awarded by the broker but I thought I'd ask here just to get a wider opinion because the renewal does say to check all the details.

Tell them they only knocked over a scooter so this is the karmatic universe doing them a solid Wink

Rogerborg wrote:
DrDonnyBrago wrote:

Win?

<so-much-win.png>

I've pondered this, if you get asked for proof of NCB on either policy you provide it, and assuming it's not the same insurer how would they know that NCB is already being used?

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:41 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What would you do if it didn't match?

Be a lot concerned about using the paperwork as proof of NCB.

I'm not saying I wouldn't still use it... I'd just feel a lot more comfortable having had someone confirm that my valid (Shhh!) NCB showed on their system as well as on the paperwork.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone in the same situation as Paddy. Shifty Shhh!

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:36 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was ringing around for insurance on a van a while back.
i called the then current insurer of our car for one of them "multi" car policy's.

when he gave me the quote i told him to do one.
So he said he had applied our current NCB to the car and that he would run the quote again but apply the NCB to van this time around.
The result was still not good.

after a bit of back and forth he says he will apply the NCB to both the car and van....

i was like Oi sunshine....... why didnt you do that in the first place, to which he said there not supposed too, the NCB only can only apply to one vehicle, But sometimes the system will "let you do it" and voila far cheaper quote was given.

total fucking con.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 4yrs ncb on my 7r at the time and bought a zx10r from a friend. Seeing as the 7r was under a cover at my dad's, i.e it wasn't going anywhere or being used, I used the same ncb for the 10r...

Anyway a year lapsed and I had 2 separate policies offering me 4 years ncb proof. Fast forward I have 2 policies, one with near 8 years, the other with 7... Did I give a fuq? No, am I glad I did it? Fook yeh.

Feel free to tell me I did wrong, I don't give a shit Thumbs Up Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:29 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their Game.
Their Rules.

Ram it in tae them.

I would not question their logic or decision.
I am not a loss adjuster, claims manager or Insurance Underwriter.

I would base my decisions of the 'Evidence' the Insurer has provided.

Angelic

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:55 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Their Game.
Their Rules.

Ram it in tae them.

Angelic

That^^.

I had this a few years ago: Had a claim and my premiums went up. Come renewal, my new insurer reckoned that I should have been docked 2 years NCB. However my old insurer (who actually covered the claim) only docked me one year.

Upshot: The new insurers had to suck it up. Your NCB is what it says on your Proof of NCB and not what they think it should be.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 27 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
MCN wrote:
Their Game.
Their Rules.

Ram it in tae them.

Angelic

That^^.

I had this a few years ago: Had a claim and my premiums went up. Come renewal, my new insurer reckoned that I should have been docked 2 years NCB. However my old insurer (who actually covered the claim) only docked me one year.

Upshot: The new insurers had to suck it up. Your NCB is what it says on your Proof of NCB and not what they think it should be.

Unless it's clearly wrong and they have underestimated it. Shifty

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were offering me a renewal price that was reasonable then I would just pay it and if an error comes to light - play dumb. After another year and assuming a problem never manifests itself I would then take another years NCD and potentially then happily move insurers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2