Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving house no garage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:49 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Moving house no garage Reply with quote

I am looking at moving house. Unfortunately most of the places in my price range are terraced houses with small driveways (fit about 2 cars).

One of my options is to get an Asguard storage solution. The other option is a ground anchor, chains and a bike cover.

What are your opinions about either of the above?

I realise none are as good as a garage, but that can’t be helped.

Thanks

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it into the house? Kitty in Blackpool used to do that.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:54 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallway is too narrow!

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get it into the back yard/garden?

If so, ground anchor, chain and a decent bike cover should suffice. Maybe an alarmed disc lock too.

Depends on the neighbourhood, I suppose.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one in the house, and one in the back yard (high walled), covered in chains with 2 ground anchors and disc locks, with a cover on. Never had any bother but it's a total pain if I were to use the bike daily. Looking forward to moving to a house with a garage in the next few years, it's not the bike security that bothers me it's the hassle of servicing them, it's all weather dependant and a right faff on. Some people on my street have enclosed the back yard and essentially turned it into a garage, if I were hanging around I would have done that too.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:16 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the house. The terraced ones one, on a couple they have side entrances, about 31inxhes so it’s very tight.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:
Depends on the house. The terraced ones one, on a couple they have side entrances, about 31inxhes so it’s very tight.

my back passage is tighter than yours Twisted Evil

https://s20.postimg.org/mv2xdirp9/image.jpg

Can't get much up there, but have squeezed Honda's CG125, CB200, Superdream 250, PXR50, and a Zontes 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To an extent the value of your bike will dictate the level of security (nobody is going to spend £1000 on security for a £500 bike).

Whenever I get on two wheels again, it'll be ground anchor, Almax chain, and Biketrac. I'd be happy with that on anything most people are likely to be commuting on.

Obviously if you have a flash Ducati or thief magnet KTM you'll probably want to double up on the anchorage or throw on some extra locks on the disks/wheels/brakes.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:41 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I think while it’s lovely having a garage I shouldn’t be put off by not having one! Thanks

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save a bit more or rent a garage?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A semi-detached property with enough space to get the bike onto the rear of the property, and thus behind a gate, is the best solution to out door storage.

If not possible, however, then a ground anchor into the property wall with a cover is the second best solution.

You'll immediately hate it, though. Doing work on the bike depends on the weather and getting ready means, some times, being wet before you've event set out.

I'd have a good hunt around before deciding on somewhere.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
wife

A ha ha ha.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:26 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having to park on the street for three years, its a nightmare. I am always paranoid about someone messing with the bike, and i cant use a cover as im just off the beach.High winds are a very regular thing which in my first year resulted in the bike being blown over four times.Im about to move to a place where i have permission to build a garage tho so im happy.

For removable secure storage if you have a driveway, i know it sounds weird but have you considered a shipping container ?.You can have one placed on your driveway for the time you live there and they are pretty perfect as bike storage, plus dont need planning permission or anything.
I am actually thinking of renting one for my new place as its only £14 a week.The nearest rentable garages to me are a 20 min walk and £25 a week.
You can pick them up cheap if you shop about, my mates paid £740 delivered for a used 20ft one as it was deemed no longer fit for service (apparently there are a load of regulations to do with them being stacable on cargo ships). Its more secure than a garage (very thick steel and loads of locking points) and he was quoted £200 to move it to any other address within 50 miles.

HTH Thumbs Up

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you fools!
buying/renting houses.
seach for a garage you like and then see if you can put a house near it.
i found a nice double garage with a small semi detached house on the same plot.
it was cheap because normal people want more house than garage.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:57 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you live and what you do dont it.We are in an area where a garage at all is a rare bonus.

Make the best with what you can aint it Thumbs Up

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gelding. wrote:
my wife

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3238/2845311978_94a99248cb_z.jpg

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:13 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GPZ sits on the road, the local scrotes are up to I think it is seven attempts on it at this time. I have probably spent more on security than the bike is worth.

But so far it is paying off.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

what area/part of the UK?

When i moved 16 months ago the only thing i really cared about was the garage. We spent a while looking but eventually found the ideal one with a 'proper' garage

Are you buying or renting?

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Obviously if you have a flash Ducati or thief magnet KTM you'll probably want to double up on the anchorage or throw on some extra locks on the disks/wheels/brakes.

feck. Got two disc locks and a chain on it at the moment.

Thinking I'll add some disguise in the form of vinyl wrap and lexa-moto-ching' sticker branding.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:29 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am buying and the difficulty in finding something in my price bracket.

Not having a garage requirement makes it easier to find something. I may just now put that back as a requirement. Lol

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move to a better areas

170 grand buys three bedrooms and a garage round here

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:
I am buying and the difficulty in finding something in my price bracket.

Not having a garage requirement makes it easier to find something. I may just now put that back as a requirement. Lol

Estate agents are fucking useless. Half of them probably have garages but they just give it one line at the end of the schedule.

They had a 20ft x 10ft brick outhouse with concrete floor and mains electricity down as "benefits from storage shed" on my current house.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 27 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i agree with most estate agents are useless cunts, the reason why it's a single line is that most people don't give a shit about a garage. In fact I'd guess that it counts against some people as it would be something else to maintain.

In my block of garages of maybe 20, I'm the only that uses it actively. A few neighbours use it infrequently for storage but is mainly a dumping ground. I'd say close to half are poorly maintained.

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:43 - 27 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estate agents aren't going to help you. I had similar issues for different reasons. I wanted a large garden for my dogs.

Anyway, sites like Rightmove will let you search areas you are interested in. It's a PITA but it paid off for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2