Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TRF national forum to close?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: TRF national forum to close? Reply with quote

Soz - not googled or looked into this at all, so very unsure about what is or isn't happening. However, from the text of a circular email following my local TRF's meeting this month, there has been mention of the closure of the TRF's national forum. Why, when and/or whether are questions I haven't been able to get answers on, so I'm merely asking other members what they've heard.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a senior rights of way officer, and new members secretary of Herts TRF.

Yes, forum is closing, TRF still going strong.

Quote:
On the 18th December 2017 this Forum was archived and the TRF launched
Trail, the home of Trail Riding in the UK. This new digital tool contains a
new forum where TRF members can chat and share information, as well as a
host of helpful features. To get involved in the conversation please visit:

https://trail.trf.org.uk/

I believe costs were one reason. On the whole I'm not very affected, as I arrange rides through fb, emails, and newsgroups, but mostly fb.

I will however miss the for sale section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:07 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I wondered what happened the forum.

Me and a friend are looking to join the TRF as we want to safely explore our local area (Northumberland).

Can all members of the TRF tag along to events? I looked on the link and there's a Kielder one which would be amazing!

Also a quick look on the website means the monthly meetings are over an hour away and with family commitments we would rarely be able to go - is that an issue??

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an issue at all. TRF member of one branch, access to all TRF events.

You join national TRF, select a local branch, and affiliate to up to 3 others.

So, I live in Bedford, have official roles in Herts TRF, affiliate to West Anglia and also Oxford TRF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Good to know. Brand new member of Herts TRF here! Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Good to know. Brand new member of Herts TRF here! Thumbs Up

cool, there are a bunch of rides coming up on 10th Feb, or if you want me to show you round north beds/cambs/northants borders just ask

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Not an issue at all. TRF member of one branch, access to all TRF events.

You join national TRF, select a local branch, and affiliate to up to 3 others.

So, I live in Bedford, have official roles in Herts TRF, affiliate to West Anglia and also Oxford TRF

Great thanks. Just seen ticket sales for the Kielder weekend have ended - gutted! Will still look to join though and see what its all about - Tour of the Moors weekend looks fun!

As part of the membership, can you get marked up maps of the local area? Or is that all discussed at the meetings?

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame that the National forum is shutting down....but then it was not as easy to navigate as say BCF is.

I am in the Kent TRF and have been since the '80s as a Life member.I have been active in several roles within the group and it is what the members make of both their own groups as well as the National TRF.You get out of it what you are prepared to put in.I have also been the ACU Rights of Way Officer,so I know where all of the routes are in the south-east.

As for marked up maps,the information about where you can get public rights of way information is within the public domain and,as an example,Kent county council have put up plenty on their website.Look for the public rights of way pages and the definitive map.Go out and buy yourself a copy of the OS Landranger map of your area and highlight the routes designated as 'Byways Open to All Traffic'.These are 100% public vehicular,unless closed by a Traffic regulation Order or TRO.These can regulate any type of traffic.A lane near to Brands Hatch,for example,has stopped up the way to restrict 4 wheel vehicles from using the route,but allows motorcycles to still be ridden on it.

As well as riding the BOATs,the Kent group are heavily involved with marshalling at horse events,where the group gets paid for attending and helping with the running of these events,many in very picturesque positions in the countryside.Some people do this for the money in their pocket,whereas in the Kent group the money goes into running the group.

The TRF will have a stand at the upcoming London Excel show in February.I will be attending on the Friday and Sunday of the show so if anyone wishes to pop along for a chat there will be a 'show price' for people wishing to join Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:55 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Yes, forum is closing, TRF still going strong.

Quote:
On the 18th December 2017 this Forum was archived and the TRF launched
Trail, the home of Trail Riding in the UK. This new digital tool contains a
new forum where TRF members can chat and share information, as well as a
host of helpful features. To get involved in the conversation please visit:

https://trail.trf.org.uk/

I believe costs were one reason. On the whole I'm not very affected, as I arrange rides through fb, emails, and newsgroups, but mostly fb.

I will however miss the for sale section.

What does the TRF membership give you if not for the forums then? considering it but i will only be able to actually ride some every few months i should think as im up in Fife atm.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1