Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Relaints and licensing etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
curious pineapple This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:53 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

curious pineapple wrote:
if you are over 21 and have a full car or bike license

What difference does age make? If it's car, you can drive it from 17 on B. If it's licensed as a trike, you get category A when you get category A, which isn't necessarily 21.

Why would you be able to drive one with either category B or category A? It can't be both.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
curious pineapple wrote:
if you are over 21 and have a full car or bike license

What difference does age make? If it's car, you can drive it from 17 on B. If it's licensed as a trike, you get category A when you get category A, which isn't necessarily 21.

Why would you be able to drive one with either category B or category A? It can't be both.

Is it not classed as B1? Light vehicles?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Is it not classed as B1? Light vehicles?

you're 5 years out of date.

Everything three wheeled is on the A licence now.

Car drivers over 21 get a restricted A licence for trikes (but not sidecar outfits)

TL:DR If you have a full A motocycle licence, or you have a B car licence and are over 21, you can drive trikes which includes reliants.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:05 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[cite ALL the things]

curious pineapple
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:25 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
curious pineapple wrote:

Since they fucked up in 2013 and left B license holders unable to drive their cars overnight, they added cat A to the license with a restriction code for tricycles.

Over 21 is, well, who knows what for. This is the DVLA we are talking about, what they do is a mystery.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of January 19th 2013 Trikes became part of the Motorcycle licence category. (Before they came within the Car Category). For people with existing full car licenses prior to January 19th 2013, nothing changes.

Fin.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:43 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason there seems to be confusion is that the trike riding brigade seems to be full of people who have difficulty reading and writing. Especially when most will ask each other, but it never occurs to them to read the DVLA website.

As far as insurance goes, of all the insurers I asked, all of them were fine with my 'A' licence as it is the full correct licence for a three wheeler of any sort, including Reliants, Grinnal and the like.

Quote:
You’ll need a full category A1 motorbike licence to ride motor tricycles up to power output 15 Kilowatts (kW), and a full category A motorbike licence to ride trikes with a power output more than 15 kW.

or

Quote:
You can drive a motor tricycle of any power rating if both of the following are true:

you’re over 21
you have a full car driving licence

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

curious pineapple wrote:

Towing is a bit of a grey area. There are no towing restrictions on the cat A license as the law for towing with a motorcycle is pretty simple to follow. Single trailer with simple weight and size limits, there appears to be no concerete towing laws for trikes.

This is the only real grey area I can find for trikes, the closest I could find to an answer was a magical 255kg for trikes, when I asked the police. I was unable to find any information on the matter elsewhere.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:33 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reliant could be driven on a motorcycle licence for years, I had one back in the 80's way before I ever had a car licence. That was pretty well the reason Reliants existed.

They changed the law to having to have a car licence to stop this but then fell foul of car driver being able to drive/ride bike based trikes without taking a bike test so changed it back.

Anyway, a Bond Bug is the best 3 wheeler. Cool

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:36 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
curious pineapple wrote:

Towing is a bit of a grey area. There are no towing restrictions on the cat A license as the law for towing with a motorcycle is pretty simple to follow. Single trailer with simple weight and size limits, there appears to be no concerete towing laws for trikes.

This is the only real grey area I can find for trikes, the closest I could find to an answer was a magical 255kg for trikes, when I asked the police. I was unable to find any information on the matter elsewhere.

I used to tow a bloody great trailer tent with my Goldwing Trike. (You have to have all the luxuries when going to a Wing Ding Embarassed)

The police were never interested.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
You can drive a motor tricycle of any power rating if both of the following are true:

you’re over 21
you have a full car driving licence

You can only drive a three wheeler if you held a full car licence before Jan 19th 2013.
After this, you need to be Cat A (Motorcycle)
The 21 bullshit is irrelevant as thats the minimum age for full A Cat

You are being misleading with your information. Car drivers can only ride a trike if they already have the cat from grandfather rights.

If you do not have the '79(tri)' on your licence, you will need to pass your motorcycle Cat A.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple solution

have both Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

curious pineapple
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:36 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
1. Post on your real account faggot.

2. Pass the car test it isn't hard.

3. Drive what you want.

What's up your arse, a horses cock? I only have one account, you dont know what licenses I do or don't have and I am driving what I want. Please go and fornicate with yourself in a corner.

curious pineapple
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:39 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
curious pineapple wrote:

There is nothing written down in law for trikes, isn't 255 the limit for a solo motorcycle? I know of a few people towing with them, one being a Delboy Regal towing another Regal as a funeral vehicle. That thing will definately exceed 255KG.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:14 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious pineapple wrote:
you dont know what licenses I do or don't have

Well go on then, tell us. Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:27 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Relaints and licensing etc Reply with quote

curious pineapple wrote:
There is nothing written down in law for trikes

Then what offence is being committed by ride-driving one?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:32 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're guilty of being a fucking piece of shit. Shocked

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
curious pineapple wrote:
you dont know what licenses I do or don't have

Well go on then, tell us. Razz

An American license? Only because in the UK it's a licence.

Hth
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1