Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:46 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderwow wrote:
MB3710 wrote:
It's worth noting that it doesn't have to be a KTM but as far as I have read it's the best A2 bike for that price range.

It's well reviewed because journalists tend to do fairly short term tests and don't live with the bike long term.

That.

It is going to be a pile of shit in 6 months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Apparently the new 790 twin is going to be made in China. I'm not saying that's going to be a problem for QC - but I do seem to be implying that. And not too subtly, either.

I'd take Chinese over Indian any day of the week, including the days that Mao had shot for being reactionaries.

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:23 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked back through the posts and couldn't find any reasoning why a big bike is better than an A2 compliant other than power until KGM's last post regarding build quality (Which seems specific to KTM?) helpful either way.

I don't mind being told buy a bigger bike, I just want to know why. How does it work out cheaper? Is there a quality difference? Is an MT03 as good as an MT07 only less powerful. Is quality just a problem for KTM.

I have no preference over what the bike is other than runs as well as my previous ER6 and price which from a dealership I was finding that an A2 compliant was cheaper than a similarly aged restricted bike on top of insurance and tax being lower.

I will look at this again to see if I can find a cheaper bigger bike that costs the same as a 400 to insure.

If I were to redo my tests it would be done properly as I'm of the opinion that I will be the one that gets caught.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:38 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:
Looked back through the posts and couldn't find any reasoning why a big bike is better than an A2 compliant

Because you can use it to get an A licence which gives you access to many, many more bikes, and does away with all concerns about restrictors or power limits forever and always.

You don't have to get a Fireblade, but you could, for example, ride an unrestricted ER6 rather than paying more for less performance. You could also ride a full power Duke 390 - you're aware that technically speaking, the power-to-weight is too high, and you're supposed to get a very slightly detuned A2 version, right?

As you get older, you'll find your insurance quotes dropping on all bikes, and the reasons to not just get your full A done and dusted by passing two eay tests that you already know that you can do will get less and less realistic.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like little bikes, but aside from the fun factor they offer chucking them about but if I could only have one bike it would be something 600+ most likely.

I just think that there's better value in used bigger bikes as compared to a new or nearly new A2. There is a little bit of premium attached to 125s and A2 bikes (in terms of overall value rather than cost). Also, they are generally cheaper as that's one of the selling points which means that corners are cut and the build quality just isn't quite so good generally as a larger bike. Suspension components, etc. will also be more budget orientated generally.

That doesn't mean there aren't good A2 bikes around. The CB500x is probably what I would buy if I was stuck with A2.

I'm not though, and I like the flexibility full A gives me, even if I do have the odd smaller bike in the garage. It comes down to you at the end of the day and what you prefer. A2 can offer good fuel economy, etc. But I reckon there's better overall value in many bigger bikes. If money is an issue there's no point spending money to save money. With many bikes being lightly used only in good weather age isn't really an indication of condition and IMO a better quality, slightly older bigger bike which offers more performance all round is more appealing than a new A2 bike. Nothing wrong with finding a good used one of course.

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:04 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note, ER6 or MT07?

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the MT07 over the ER6 any day.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:33 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:
I don't mind being told buy a bigger bike

Maybe but sort your license first. Wink

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:44 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:
Would like to get the best I can afford, which as far as I'm aware insurance tend to pay out book value not actual value which I believe would put me in the range of a year old KTM.

Replacing the ER6 ~£5000
A 17 plate KTM pre-reg is £3700

If you have been rear ended hard enough to do the damage you said, then you'll also have a whiplash claim, that's another £2k towards your next bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

check my sig for the bikes that I've had.

My current riding is 99% congested city centre, so the duke is hard to fault. Small, cheap and light.

If there was an element of A road or motorways it certainly wouldn't be my only bike or maybe not in a garage with other bikes.

There are so many more bikes above the A2 restriction that are not 200hp crotch rockets. Do your big test and have the freedom to choose something better than a er5 or duke 390.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2