Union Representative (Shop Steward)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:54 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The union decreed that no members were to use the new machine unless there were at least 12 men on the job and they made damned sure it took them just as long as it has with the old machine.

How many ships do they make in Glasgow now?

I've heard a story about the BBC world service which I believe comes from a reputable source. They used to need 12 people in their main control room to manage the switching between various services globally and to switch to the local newsroom every 15 minutes for a news bulletin. The BBC at great expense purchased an automation system that meant only a single person could do the same job. The union insisted the BBC continue to employ the same 12 people, but they just used to take it in turns to be the one in the hot seat. The rest would go shopping or go home or sleep or whatever. Because the world service was funded by the foreign office, nobody really gave a crap. In private industry that may have meant the difference between a company staying afloat and going under.

My mother has worked in local government all her life. I tried to explain to her that private industry is what brings the net income into the British economy because all government workers are paid from tax, therefore they don't bring in any external money. She kept saying to me "But I pay taxes!". I've tried to explain this to her a few times, but she doesn't get the whole idea that her taxes pay a minority of her own salary, and don't in fact contribute to her own. You need probably 4 people on the same salary in industry to pay the remainder of her own salary, and the idea of her paying a contribution to her own salary in itself is laughable. But people who work for government or publically funded organisations conveniently ignore or forget this which is often why things like old former 'British' publically owned companies are often so unionised, like BT, British Gas, the BBC etc.

Some people might see the search for profit as a bad thing, but it does motivate cost cutting and efficiency which is actually something we need in local government and public services, because we all pay for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the tales. There's one about British Leyland / Rover where they'd removed or re-routed wiring, but kept employing one chap to keep drilling holes that were no longer needed, plus another to plug them up again.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
on the buses

Thanks for that.
Now I have an image of "Olive" stuck in my head.
Evil or Very Mad
So now I'm returning it to you, in the hope that it helps at some juncture during the weekend ahead Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People love to knock Unions until they have an issue with management. Then in my experience they're suddenly very intetested. I don't tolerate it any more. If someone comes beetleing up to me trying for free advice I refuse. Then just advise they join a Union if they want advice and representation.

So, if you do become a rep at least you know you can represent actual members and not just get badgered by people who have stuck their head in in the sand until it was too late.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Some people might see the search for profit as a bad thing, but it does motivate cost cutting and efficiency which is actually something we need in local government and public services, because we all pay for it!

Of course we could go back to the days before local authorities and just have good ol' local robber barron types (inb4 my local cooncil/workers/cooncilors are all robbers blah blah) running everything. Fact is the public sector look after things the private sector cant be bothered with. Thats why local authorities were created in the first place. Local businesses and industry realised it wasn't efficient leaving local infrastructure up to chance so created a local Corporation whos whole aim was to enable the commercial sector. Employees paid by the "Corporation" were not exclusively paid out of the tax revenues but also from the commercial activities of the Corporation. You could i suppose cut out tax from public employees pay but its possibly just more hassle than its worth.

People moan about local authorities but don't like funding them and soon squeel when the supposedly pointless services they provide are stopped or cut back.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:34 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
People love to knock Unions until they have an issue with management. Then in my experience they're suddenly very intetested. I don't tolerate it any more. If someone comes beetleing up to me trying for free advice I refuse. Then just advise they join a Union if they want advice and representation.

So, if you do become a rep at least you know you can represent actual members and not just get badgered by people who have stuck their head in in the sand until it was too late.
Quote:

Yes agree with this, you only help the paying members, if they complain just ask them if they ever turned down a pay rise which they wouldn't have got without a unionised workforce.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:53 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
[I don't care about the plight of the proletariat in general, only those that tithe to and support my personal power base]

Unions, in practice.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:01 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain what this 'Union Gravy Train' thing is all about, I'm not expecting any financial benefits form doing it.

As to losing chances of becoming a manager I do not care, I'm a technical person, I never wanted to be a manager and I do not believe I have the skill set to do it.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chris-red"]Can someone explain what this 'Union Gravy Train' thing is all about, I'm not expecting any financial benefits form doing it.

As to losing chances of becoming a manager I do not care, I'm a technical person, I never wanted to be a manager and I do not believe I have the skill set to do it.[/quote]

Then you likely don't have the skill set to be an effective union rep, you will just be multiplying your work load, with no realistic prospect of any kind of reward.

If you neither know nor care how management works, management will walk all over you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:50 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion and experience:

The union rep generally does jack-all real work, certainly when compared to those who are not union members. The reasoning behind it is often that the people in question do not think they want to ever be a manager, but they want to have job security but get away with doing the minimum. As the union rep they have enormous power over the other more junior workers, and as such don't get pulled up on things.

The type of person who seems to go high into the structure of a union, seems to also be the type of person to want to gain benefit from that. I'm not saying that is always the case, but it seems to be a trend.

So, despite having no direct financial benefit, there is job security and a bit of blind eye turning to how you are actually working. As I said, I'm sure this is not always the case, but in my experience, the union reps I've dealt with have been the lazy feckless ones who take three hour lunch breaks and do very little actual work.

I suppose what I'm saying is that being you don't get extra pay for having to do all the extra work of a union rep, the type of people who are drawn to the hassle of it likely have an ulterior motive.

Speedy23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I tried to explain to her that private industry is what brings the net income into the British economy because all government workers are paid from tax, therefore they don't bring in any external money.

Excuse me? What a load of bollox. Why do you think the Tories were so eager to privatise the publicly-owned utilities? It was because the PROFITS they made could be syphoned off into private pockets rather than going to the public good. Caught a train lately? Paid a utility bill? Yes, much cheaper now.....don't think so. Yes kids, nationalised industries make profits too.

And don't forget that money redistributed in wages keeps the economy - public AND private - ticking over nicely. Or do you prefer homeless people sleeping on the streets while you run into potholes on the way to your grossly overpriced private let (because nobody can afford to buy anywhere to live anymore) while the rich continue to get richer?

Oh dear.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:20 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Train companies have no incentive to run on time since they're subsided by the tax payer AND they get paid extra for delays that Network Rail are accountable for.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2