Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Killa's biking history *Part 10*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:33 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Killa's biking history *Part 10* Reply with quote

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

Five years on from the last post and I’m 35 this year. I’m a fair weather rider now and didn’t even attend the Bulldog Bash for a number of years as I always did.
I’ve had a bit of an obsession with retro cars and haven’t posted much on the forum because I was in a job which had very militant network rules, eventually I just never signed in.
Some of you enjoyed reading through my biking history, so as I can log in a bit more now, it’s time for a catch up.

After my off on the TLR and having the fairings repaired, I remember having around a month off biking completely, the most time I’d spent not riding in a long time.
I was driving around in a rare classic Mazda at the time, it was October and the nights were drawing in, so the TLR was put under the cover for the time being.
One night, when I had some friends over, we heard an alarm sounding. It was my Datatool on the bike, the fob didn’t work, so I had to investigate. I had issues with the fob because of batteries but this time it wasn’t working. On my knees in the rain, I tried to stop the alarm but it wasn’t having it. Eventually, somehow (I don’t remember) I got it to turn off. The following week I had a local mechanic (The Superbike doctor) who sorted out the electrical issue with the bike, or so I thought.
With the bike charged up, she had to go in for MOT and some new rubber. I then sold the bike to Ghostrider (A BCF member) who not only had issues with the bike charging but something catastrophic happened with the engine, oil pissing out from somewhere I think. It was a real shame it ended this way, as I had the bike of a couple of years with no mechanical issue.

It wasn’t until 2016 that I finally decided to get back on two wheels, almost two years after the TLR went. I didn’t have much to spend but didn’t mind something that was cosmetically tired but mechanically sound. The seemingly perfect machine popped up. The indestructible Suzuki GS650 (1986). Air cooled, carb’s, shaft drive, all for the bargain price of £650.
I quick trip to the Droitwich area and I went to view the bike, cash in hand. The guy thought himself as a mechanic, how true this is, I’ll never know but what do know is that he was a complete tool. He was pleasant enough but seemed to get his hair off when I questioned why the brakes seemed spongy. In his words, they’re just old school, that’s how they are. Thinking
He had replaced the clutch and the engine ran very nicely surprisingly, it started with no hesitation at all. The test ride proved it still had it, so I parted with the money and headed home.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664797507_zpsgk8hfhkx.jpg

The troubles however soon appeared. The right hand fork started leaking on the motorway, ruining a pair of jeans. Thankfully I didn’t have far to go, when I got back and started the closer inspection. The fork had been packed with some blue roll and was leaking badly once removed. Upon further inspection, the engine oil badly needed changing, new plugs to. There was dick all oil in the brake lines, only enough to keep them working, almost nothing in both reservoirs. I started with a full service, it’s always good to do this anyway if you get a bike that’s pretty old and without history.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664846018_zpski2ki2li.jpg

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664861795_zpsgqwpedge.jpg

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664851560_zpsvdzlng9e.jpg

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664866460_zps1ysgdgrv.jpg

I had help with the forks, they were in a bit of state, some pitting on the one, almost impossible to disassemble. I finally had them apart, seals changed, new oil. Difficult to pin point the correct info with this one as she is the rarest of the range, the 650 was not as common as the rest. Shaft oil checked and with the fork back on, I sorted out the front brake lines by changing them to braided and they felt bang on.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20160321_171604_zps84ih9lhc.jpg

Sadly she wasn’t running right at this point, with everything I had done, I was a bit disheartened. I called up my local mechanic and he popped round for a cuppa and a look over it.
The manifold rubbers were perishing and he didn’t have any replacements handy. A full set of these were something like £160 for the set of Suzuki ones. Fitting them was a nightmare, the carbs are situated in a position where they don’t like to come out. It’s a bit of a fiddle. A satisfying sound though when she was started for the first time in awhile.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20151210_221848_zpsxx7uwxgr.jpg

She rode well, strong, heavy but easy to use and with straighter bars a doddle around town. I did find however, the short rev range coupled with no fairing made riding at speed hard work. I had spent what little money I had over around ten months getting the bike to where it is now but I just didn’t feel right on it. As I had it running as best I could, I decided to sell it on. Strangely I’ve always regretted selling it because I’ve come to realise just how rare but eventually reliable the bike was. Cosmetically it was pretty rough but it did mean I really didn’t mind it being stood outside in the rain.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20151101_002534_zpshhtkjmyg.jpg

Read here for part 11
Part 11
I decide to go back to my roots go enduro again
Plus, old age creeps up on me Shocked

Last edited by killa on 22:01 - 09 Apr 2021; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your biking history was always a good read on BCF mate.

I'll get shot for this, but I'd like to know more about the retro car addition too! Laughing I'm still into small silly bikes and classics, but I'll never own another big sports bike or a big capacity/expensive smooth mile muncher now. Id rather have a lairy modified retro car to waste my cash on, as I don't rate cars as any more practical or useful than bikes either.

Please get yourself another old Suzuki TSX 125 to restore. It'll be a blast from the past, and 125cc strokers are now starting to rise in price from the interest of back when we were 17 nostalgia hunters like me. Id love a fleet of liquid cooled 125's, but with everything done better than we had first time round.

Looking forward to part 11 anyhow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:07 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always interesting to read life times biker stories.

Will go read the old posts Smile. Thumbs Up

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 18:44 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Your biking history was always a good read on BCF mate.

I'll get shot for this, but I'd like to know more about the retro car addition too! Laughing I'm still into small silly bikes and classics, but I'll never own another big sports bike or a big capacity/expensive smooth mile muncher now. Id rather have a lairy modified retro car to waste my cash on, as I don't rate cars as any more practical or useful than bikes either.

Please get yourself another old Suzuki TSX 125 to restore. It'll be a blast from the past, and 125cc strokers are now starting to rise in price from the interest of back when we were 17 nostalgia hunters like me. Id love a fleet of liquid cooled 125's, but with everything done better than we had first time round.

Looking forward to part 11 anyhow!

Hey Stevo, thanks for the response. I loved going back through these and reading them myself...I'd forgotten some of the adventures, lol, and nightmares.
I'd love an old classic TS, the prices are going up now but yeah, back to your roots Wink Thumbs Up

I have been writing about my retro cars but for a website. They put an ad out asking for a writer and i thought why not. Check the link in my bio Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Killa's biking history *Part 10* Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Cosmetically it was pretty rough but it did mean I really didn’t mind it being stood outside in the rain.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20151101_002534_zpshhtkjmyg.jpg

Cosmetically rough!?

You should see my bike, i'd say yours looks good.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:58 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read them all, bloody hell you have had some nasty luck pal.

Excellent read tho, The 7Rs are such a nice practical bike imo, i had one for a few months, only old school bike i like more is the CBR 900RR.
The TLs are one of the few suzuki motors i like.
Shame big V-Twins are such a rare breed, sure an IL4 is usually better in most on paper means. But the feeling and noise of a twin is just fecking awesome.

One of my friends rides a DT125 with sumo wheels, on twisty back lanes where you barely hit 60 anyway i struggle to keep up and friends on cbrs R6s bandits ect cant get near.Properly awesome little bikes just the right amount of power and light enough for a skinny lad to get some proper performance out of it.

Hope to be around for part 11 Thumbs Up .

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:31 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Killa's biking history *Part 10* Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
killa wrote:
Cosmetically it was pretty rough but it did mean I really didn’t mind it being stood outside in the rain.

Cosmetically rough!?

You should see my bike, i'd say yours looks good.

Yeah i guess looking back i have seen worse. The frame and wheels had been painted by a child by the looks Laughing

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:57 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
Just read them all, bloody hell you have had some nasty luck pal.

Excellent read tho, The 7Rs are such a nice practical bike imo, I had one for a few months, only old school bike I like more is the CBR 900RR.
The TLs are one of the few Suzuki motors I like.
Shame big V-Twins are such a rare breed, sure an IL4 is usually better in most on paper means. But the feeling and noise of a twin is just fecking awesome.

One of my friends rides a DT125 with sumo wheels, on twisty back lanes where you barely hit 60 anyway I struggle to keep up and friends on cbrs R6s bandits ect can’t get near. Properly awesome little bikes just the right amount of power and light enough for a skinny lad to get some proper performance out of it.

Hope to be around for part 11 Thumbs Up .

Thanks...yeah it’s been a mixed bag but given the chance, I wouldn’t change a thing. Well, I would like to do more longer trips but biking for me was always transport really, not just pleasure trips. I’d like one day to have a RSV Aprilia but I’m really happy with the current bike, so for now I’m staying put.
Also, when i get some spare cash I will get something like a DT so I can go out in all weathers, I don’t want the TRX getting ruined.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:34 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TRXs are a lovely motor. Properly under rated, this is one me and a friend did up. Handled like it was laser guided.The R1 front end transforms them, worth it if you are ever looking at upgrades.

https://i.imgur.com/xDNxFG0.jpg

The RSV is a beast, i would like to add one to the stable at some point myself. Them and the Tuono are properly nice characterful bikes.
I blag a go on my mates one at any chance haha.

I feel the same about my Dorsoduro, but ACF 50 actually does what it says. Makes a world of difference to keeping a nice bike looking well.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:35 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
The TRXs are a lovely motor. Properly under rated, this is one me and a friend did up. Handled like it was laser guided.The R1 front end transforms them, worth it if you are ever looking at upgrades.

Lovely motor, shite factory suspension setup. I rode a bog standard one and it felt thirty years old. Mines running R6 suspension front and back. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:42 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Mr. Green Hurry with number 11...hurry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:50 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through all the parts of this thread. Great read & well written. Looking forward to the next instalment. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1