Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike- Moto Guzzi V7 vs HD Street 750

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mbah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:30 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: First bike- Moto Guzzi V7 vs HD Street 750 Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a first bike to use on my commute. My commute is approximately 40 or so miles, and involves an empty motorway for 20 or so miles then the rest on twisty desert roads.

My main dilemma has been three-fold. First, most small displacement bikes are not available in my country, unless it is 125cc or less. Most dealerships only import 'delivery bikes' with 10hp and litre bikes with 200hp. For example, it is impossible to get a Rebel 500 (or any Honda less than 1000cc) here. Second, is that I need a tad of power on my commute and riding a 125cc bike for 40 miles a day on 75 and 60 roads will be terribly tiring. Third is that the second hand market for bikes is limited, and if I order in something nobody else wants I will have a hard time selling it.

With all of the above in mind, and having visited every dealership, I am trying to figure out which bike to buy as a first bike. I have included on the road prices as keeping it relatively budget friendly is important.

1. 2015, Harley Davidson Street 750, used with 2,113 miles. £3,000 OTR. Clean bike.

2. 2015 Moto-Guzzi V7 Stone, new old stock, £6,000 OTR.

I'm leaning heavily towards the HD because £3,000 is a lot of money for me. I could stretch to the Moto-Guzzi, and money aside it is my preference, but I'd have to reign in my spending for a while in order to make up for it.

I'm a complete newbie so I would appreciate your advice. As I don't have tons of money, and the used market is limited, I don't want to buy a small displacement bike that I have to replace in a few months, as I would likely not find a buyer for a long time.

I am planning of fitting either bikes with a crash guard in case I drop the bike, as everyone says its certain I will!

Thanks for your help.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your criteria, I'd go for the Harley. It's about as modern as a Harley gets, it's done its heavy depreciation, and it'll be easier to sell on - ask yourself why the Guzzi is still gathering dust after 3 years.

However, get a test ride before deciding. It's a heavy old lump, and on the early models at least there have been complete failures reported in both the front and rear brakes.

mbah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:28 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Rogerborg.

The only other option I did not mention was a Vulcan S, about £6,800 OTR, but the bike would have to be considerably better than the HD to justify me spending an extra £3.8k.

On price alone I seem to be leaning towards the 750. Also Harley Davidson and the Moto Guzzi dealers are the only ones willing to give me a test ride, the rest do not have these models available for test rides which is a dealbreaker for me most of the time.

Thanks again for the replies.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Japanese and never look back.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:12 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy mother of God! The best available is a hardly or a guzzi ? What sort of backwards country do you live in?

mbah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:36 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Holy mother of God! The best available is a hardly or a guzzi ? What sort of backwards country do you live in?

I live in one of the GCC states. The GSO (the equivalent to the ESO in the EU) has a stringent test for all motorbikes in terms of emissions and safety. This test costs money. As no Japanese manufacturer tends to sell middleweight bikes in any quantity, they decided to pull all the middleweights from our markets, leaving us with either puny delivery bikes or 1000cc+ bikes. This was more cost effective than them going through the tests.

Due to this, only 'premium' makers bothered with subjecting their smaller capacity bikes to the GSO test. Even if I wanted to import a bike from overseas it has to have had first gone through the test in order for Customs in any GCC state to clear it.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a Guzzi provided you accept having to replace certain electrical components as part of the ownership 'experience'. When they run right, they are a delight to ride...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:46 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't need them during the 8 week summer break in Italy?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to replace with Jap bits - all was good once I had done so, then some dozy mare reversed over it in a van. Damn shame as I loved that bike and would gladly have one of the new generation small-engine Guzzis as a summer plaything....

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:20 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: First bike- Moto Guzzi V7 vs HD Street 750 Reply with quote

mbah wrote:
I could stretch to the Moto-Guzzi, and money aside it is my preference...

It would be my preference too, by a long way.

I think it's far better to spend more on something you do want than less on something you don't really want.

If you go for the HD, every single time you ever see a Guzzi you'll wish you'd just sucked it up and gone for it at the outset instead of the HD. Is that sort of misery worth three grand?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to buy a euopean bike and then just ride it round on euro plates...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbah wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I live in one of the GCC states.

And just for those of us who are still none the wiser and need to look it up, that's the Gulf Cooperation Council; member states are Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems bloody cheap for the HD while the V7 is at about the price it was new, IIRC. I didn't realize Harleys plummeted in value like that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a proper Harley though, it's the one that's just for girls / wimps / people who don't have flashbacks to 'Nam.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read the little Harley gets given reasonable reviews, almost begrudgingly it seems.
At three grand less than the Guzzi, bearing in mind it's a first bike and not your forever and ever and ever bike, I'd go for the Harley.
If you're struggling to make ends meet having bought the Guzzi and then drop it, you're going to be proper pee'd off and a bit screwed. If you drop the Harley you'll have a few spare coins to throw at it, get back on the road and on with enjoying yourself / commuting through the desert.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:26 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the hardly....

Let me rephrase....

The biggest problem with the hardly is the throttle. For some reason giving it a big handful doesn't make the bike go any faster, all the energy goes into making a load of noise and a fuckton of vibration.

I'd go for the guzzi and accept that I'd lose some money on the deal.

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 750 is nothing even close to a real Harley. It just feels cheap, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and doesn't pull from low rpm like you'd expect from a V-twin. I test drove the 750 street rod and then had a go on a new 1200 sportster. Night and day experience. A lot of people rag on Harleys but the truth is they've never even ride one. I almost bought that sportster, the noise and just character of the engine was great. Of course then I came to my sense and realised I'm not that old yet.

But 3k for a 750 street does sound like great value tbf. Between the two I would go for the Harley purely on value.

However, ask yourself how many months will it take before you're wishing for something else?

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The only problem with the hardly....

Let me rephrase....

The biggest problem with the hardly is the throttle. For some reason giving it a big handful doesn't make the bike go any faster, all the energy goes into making a load of noise and a fuckton of vibration.

Have you actually ridden a 750 street? Some 1973 carburated 400kg dyna glide? Or just purely pulling that out your ass?

It definitely does not give any fuckton of noise nor vibration. Its got most of the power band fairly high in rpm range and its fairly well balanced.

For sheer power output its not bad at all for what you pay. It just has 0 character.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:07 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

+1.

I still don't understand why you've given two possible options (suggesting you can afford both), then stated that, from those two options, you'd prefer the more expensive Guzzi, and then not just gone and bought the Guzzi Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1