BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gaming PC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Gaming PC Reply with quote

So I've been looking to build my own, but this popped up locally to me for fairy cheap. The guy build it 5 years ago but says he has upgraded it over time.

NZXT Vulcan M-ATX case with Fan controls.

AMD FX 6350 6 core processor overclocked from 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz.

Asus M5A78L-M PLUS/USB 3 motherboard.

MSI R9 270x 2gb graphics card (also overclocked).

2x 4gb Kingston HyperX Predator DDR3 1899mhz high-speed RAM (8gb in total).

WD Black edition 1tb hard drive.

Crucial memory 240gb high-speed boot SSD (fully powered on in under 10 seconds).

2x Corsair SP120 performance fans with switchable colour rings (Red and white included).

Corsair CX600M modular power supply.

Custom built EK liquid cooling system, complete with 120mm radiator, reservoir/ pump combo, and water block.

TP-Link WN822N high-speed Network adaptor.

Would this still perform today or is it too long in the tooth, he wants £450 for it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot. I've seen Intel i7 rigs go for a couple of hundred, and I built my network PC with a secondhand FX6350 CPU for about £200 including motherboard, RAM and CPU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the for sale section here; temeluchus has posted virtually a whole PC for less than the asking price of what you have been offered and it's a fair bit quicker too. Just missing a case I believe, I'd rather buy that one than the AMD you have been offered for THAT price.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezers on smack asking 450, its way too old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
In the for sale section here; temeluchus has posted virtually a whole PC for less than the asking price of what you have been offered and it's a fair bit quicker too. Just missing a case I believe, I'd rather buy that one than the AMD you have been offered for THAT price.

Well spotted, didn't see that. Just sent him a PM

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

alas you have been gazumped. Just removed the advert.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:42 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot... However I paid that for a gfx card Laughing

I paid 100ish less for a similar build 3.5 years ago.

What are you attempting to play?

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be playing WOW mostly.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid anything of the old AMD Bulldozer type (FX4xxx,6xxx,8xxx) for gaming. Lots of games have issues with them as they dont really have a full compliment of cores and that causes some issues.

Any intel quad core from socket 1155 on will be better really, and some of the nippier dual core intel chips run rings around the 6350 for gaming.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:48 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
I'd avoid anything of the old AMD Bulldozer type (FX4xxx,6xxx,8xxx) for gaming. Lots of games have issues with them as they dont really have a full compliment of cores and that causes some issues.

Any intel quad core from socket 1155 on will be better really, and some of the nippier dual core intel chips run rings around the 6350 for gaming.

I have an FX8350, and I've never had a problem. The FX 6350 in my internet PC works OK for that application, but I wouldn't want it for stuff like GTAV.

That said, I used to run GTAV on an old AMD 4000+ CPU. Granted it didn't work that well, but I was able to play it!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FX63xx and FX83xx aren't worth much, they're pretty old chips. I got my FX6300 for £70, mobo for £30, graphics card for £20 and 4GB DDR 4 for ~25 ish maybe, about 3 or 4 years ago. You should get a Ryzen build with that sort of money.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I have an FX8350, and I've never had a problem. The FX 6350 in my internet PC works OK for that application, but I wouldn't want it for stuff like GTAV.

That said, I used to run GTAV on an old AMD 4000+ CPU. Granted it didn't work that well, but I was able to play it!

when i replaced my old 6300 system with a pentium dual core 3258k the intel chip achieved 25-50% higher frame rates in most games, and was cheaper Doh!

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:21 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new laptop that ruins that and it only cost £900 new,

120hz 1080p screen
GTX1060 6gb
Core i5 7300HQ
16GB DDR4
128GB m.2 SSD
1tb Hybrid Drive

Fuck paying half for a lower powered, second hand, desktop that's ancient.

He'd do better flogging the Case/PSU/cooling stuff separately I reckon. The Mobo/RAM/CPU/GPU is junk.

Took me less than a minute to find this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Core-Gaming-PC-with-RX480-8GB-Ram-120GB-SSD/263589709156?hash=item3d5f2bc564:g:Jm0AAOSwUN9axlJK

There will be even better deals out there.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:

Not necessarily true, I've an FX8320 Oc'd to 4.4ghz, and I've not had any issues with any games (at 1080p)

I'd like something faster going forward but it's done the job well

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:38 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh at 450 its a shit deal.

SSDs cost fuck all now and everything else in it is out of date.

Tbh your best bet right now is to buy a prebuilt if you want latest gen due to stocking issues with gpus.
Loads on 1 gen old builds on ebay, just make sure to collect in person. The mount of pcs i have seen destroyed by couriers is disgusting.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:55 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was £300 then it would be a maybe.

Then I'd be asking questions about the overclocking since it's a bit of a crappy overclock that he's managed. Laughing

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:

Not necessarily true, I've an FX8320 Oc'd to 4.4ghz, and I've not had any issues with any games (at 1080p)

I'd like something faster going forward but it's done the job well

The problem is you are drawing a lot more power, and certain games, particularly anything running the cryengine will not run nearly as well.

The money for what was described could start getting a new low end Ryzen system that would perform better all round, barring a few productivity applications and use less juice into the bargain.

Also, r9 270x is pretty long in the tooth and bested by current mid-low end cards.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
I will be playing WOW mostly.

That has fairly modest requirements.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gGWXvn

this is a quick bash at throwing together a new system. That way you will have more upgrade potential and avoid water cooling. More hunting could get that even cheaper. Wow might even run fine on the built in graphics of the new AMD chips.

**edit**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aeSwG3Ca8U
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1