Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS 125 spark plug color

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

skategrizzly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:10 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Aprilia RS 125 spark plug color Reply with quote

Hello all.

I would kindly ask for help from all of you who have a little more experience with reading spark plugs.
The case is this. The bike is an Aprilia RS 125 (2 stroke), that has all settings stock, apart from Gianelli exhaust, stock airbox with both intake ports open and a main jet of 142.
The bike pulls really good in all rpms, however, the spark plug color doesn't give me any rest. I haven't done a plug chop, just casual driving without really tearing the bikes ass off (rarely exceeding 8k rpm for a longer time).
The spark plug (NGK BR8ES) on the picture below has 500 kms behind it and I would really appreciate the advice about how it looks. Should I go for a bigger/lower main jet?

In a couple of days I am going on a longer trip (+200km) and I really wouldn't like to be on a too lean setting if that is the case at the moment.

P.S. The first main jet in the bike was size 135 which I thought was really a bit too lean, but still, the bike went good. Maybe it has a little bit more pull now with 142 jet than before, but other than that there were no differences.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:16 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasing the jet size probably won't help that. It seems quite lean still.

That is a stock plug for a stock RS.

Yours is not.

You'd need to rejet to compensate for that, but you'll also want to make sure your oil pump is set correctly.

How far through the derestriction process are you? Typically if you aren't going all the way, I'd not have bothered with the exhaust and airbox....but thats just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:17 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're meant to rev the tits off it rather than plodding along at a boring rpm. Razz

skategrizzly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:51 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Increasing the jet size probably won't help that. It seems quite lean still.

That is a stock plug for a stock RS.

Yours is not.

You'd need to rejet to compensate for that, but you'll also want to make sure your oil pump is set correctly.

How far through the derestriction process are you? Typically if you aren't going all the way, I'd not have bothered with the exhaust and airbox....but thats just me.

The oil pump is set as it should be, but rejeting should probably be done then.
I've actually decided that I don't want it to be derestricted anymore as I drive sometimes longer distances and it tends to be safer this way. Regarding the exhaust. The original was sold and this one was bought when I had it derestricted. So, no way to get that changed now and I don't even want it to. The airbox intake was also changed at that time, so the same goes for that.
What color of the plug should I be looking for then and should i change it for a NGK BR10EG?

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:57 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're meant to rev the tits off it rather than plodding along at a boring rpm. Razz

Not if you are lean. not if you dont want to have a rebuild on your hands imo.

Personally mate, if i were you i would be finding the local two stroke wizard and getting their input on it. RS are fun, but things like the oil pump tend to need setting up just right.Personally i would just premix but thats me.
Once you have it fueling properly then ride it hard til it dies. Rebuild and repeat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1