Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Concerns and Questions about my new Dual sport Tyres.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Concerns and Questions about my new Dual sport Tyres. Reply with quote

Hi there!
I'm Totally new here, and this is my first Post. apologies in advance
if I have managed to put this in the wrong section. I looked closely at the rules, so I hope I've got it right!

I'm hoping that someone could help me out a little with some issues I'm having with the set of Michelin Anakee Wilds that I bought for My Honda CB125F -aka- GLR125.

So, the issue that I'm facing-
I'm unsure if my new tyres are Safe to run without tubes or not.

My order Describes them as "110/80 18 - 58s - TT/TL"
I've managed to put the front one on with ease. It Inflated and it looks as though it has seated nicely. It took a bit of rapid pumping because I'm using a basic Bicycle pump, but other than that, No visible issues.
However, I noticed the sidewall of the tyre reads "TUBETYPE"

This is the part that's confusing me a little bit, because on my order invoice it clearly describes them as TT/TL. I'm assuming that this means it's suited to be used with or without a tube - depending on if the rims require tubes. But I'm no expert.

I know that tubeless tyres have a different shaped bead than tube type ones, so I compared the bead on the Anakee's with the bead on My old tyres, and there's no difference from what I can tell.
However my uncertainty is leaving me reluctant to ride anywhere until I'm sure that the tyre isn't going to Blow out, or separate itself from the rim at 60mph and cause an accident or something.

I inflated the tyre a little more, and I will be checking on it again in the morning to check that it hasn't lost any pressure.

If someone could help me out, I would totally appreciate any kind of advice, thoughts or anything at all honestly. I have no idea what to do Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:50 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the wheel type dictated tube or no tube.

Ie spoked doesn't hold air so does need a tube.

Where as an alloy wheel does hold air.

What's holding your valve in the wheel?

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:27 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels are cast aluminium with a valve built Into them. They are tubeless, for sure. I'm just unsure if my new tyres are tubeless + safe to run. They do read ''tubetype'' on the sidewall. But this is contradictory to what the Michelin website and my order invoice states.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it says tube type on the side wall...then i`d put an innertube in.

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:11 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll definitely Consider going with a tube. I'd like to avoid that if I can though. I've had a few tubed tyres rapidly deflate while on the dual carriageway. needless to say I didn't enjoy that experience. If I can't run them without tubes, I'll probably end up selling the tyres on.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:44 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked back this morning, and it appears the tyre hasn't leaked or anything. A few photos here too.

https://ibb.co/hyAApx
https://ibb.co/gQXqpx
https://ibb.co/goV72H

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
if it says tube type on the side wall...then i`d put an innertube in.

Can you do that if the rim already has a valve for tubeless? Is it just a case of removing the existing valve and poking the inner tube valve through the hole?

well thats what i`ve done in the past ....and still here to tell the tale...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:36 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop an email to michelin uk and ask.

For me, it would be a bigger sin to run a tube only tyre without one than to put a tube in a tubeless. Always use a heavy duty tube in a tubeless tyre.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre look pretty knobbly to me - planning on doing much off-roading?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Tyre look pretty knobbly to me - planning on doing much off-roading?

it seems to be a fashionable accessory to fit off road tyres to an otherwise road goin bike ...
fcukin hypster type modification .. wonder if you get a free "nice beard" with every pair ....

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:02 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. While it does seem to be a sort of trend to fit Knobbly Tyres to road-going bikes, off-road riding is inevitable around where I live. Lots of narrow track roads, and a few open fields to have a muck about in. its only a 125, so achieving anything above 70mph isn't going to happen. so I decided that if I can't go fast, I'll Just go anywhere instead.
the 50/50 tyres seemed the most logical to me at the time. + they were on sale. Very Happy

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberkron wrote:
I thought the wheel type dictated tube or no tube.

Ie spoked doesn't hold air so does need a tube.

Where as an alloy wheel does hold air.

What's holding your valve in the wheel?

This is not always the case.
My GasGas trials bike had spoked wheels suitable for tubeless tyres!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:40 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenacious1996 wrote:
lol. While it does seem to be a sort of trend to fit Knobbly Tyres to road-going bikes, off-road riding is inevitable around where I live. Lots of narrow track roads, and a few open fields to have a muck about in. its only a 125, so achieving anything above 70mph isn't going to happen. so I decided that if I can't go fast, I'll Just go anywhere instead.
the 50/50 tyres seemed the most logical to me at the time. + they were on sale. Very Happy

Your opinion will probably change once you've had the chance to ride them on a damp road. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubeless tire have a tube.

It is a soft lining bonded to the inside with extends over the head to provide a seal for when the tyre is inflated.

As has been said, fire an email to Michelin UK or call them. They have phones too. And a lot of them speak English too not just French. Very Happy

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:09 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tenacious1996 wrote:

Your opinion will probably change once you've had the chance to ride them on a damp road. Laughing

How slippery are they exactly? I'm no stranger to riding in snow, ice/sleet etc. I'm okay riding in that sort of stuff when the threat of taking a fall is right in front of me. I'm useless when it comes to saving it after one of the tires suddenly changes its mind about being underneath the bike Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:29 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knobbly tyres on damp roads are fine unless you want to stop quickly or turn quickly. Laughing

tenacious1996
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:31 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished fitting the rear about 10 mins ago, and my useless little bicycle pump just can't get enough air in there quick enough to make the bead seal. oh well.
I think I'll take the much appreciated advice I've received from you guys, and pick up a couple of Decent tubes. Then its just a matter of tackling the frustrating task that is correctly aligning my rear wheel Rolling Eyes

Thanks for all the help! Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still keen.
Use a piece of rope as a tourniquet around the tyre.
As you tighten the tourniquet it displaces the tyre and pushes the head against the rim.
It is easier using a ratchet strap if you have one.

When the head is on the rim it seals and you can blow air in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1