Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CG 125 electrical problems!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Honda CG 125 electrical problems! Reply with quote

Hi guy! Finally got round to creating account for a couple of issues I’m having with my Honda cg125w (1999)

I will try to make it as short as I can.

The main issue that I’m having is that the indicators are flashing too fast for MOT requirements. 130 times a minute - now is the wierd but. I used to have 4w bulbs, then bought an led relay and installed led indicators. No change, then finally installed 23w indicators and installed an adjustable relay that at the slowest setting is still to fast!
I understand that higher wattage means slower flashing but it made absolutely no difference between the 4w bulbs and 23w.

I have tested for bad ground connections; to no avail. The resistance on all of them has been in limit. Under 0.5ohms. All the parts that should have ground have ground. I have a battery that is fully charged and a correct voltage; and is charging correctly. I have gone through 4 relays; some flash too fast, some keep the indicators on, one blows the battery fuse and one doesn’t even turn the indicators on. All connections have been cleaned to no avail.

Here’s the wierd bit. Whenever I press to use the horn it makes the indicators flash faster. Don’t understand how they relate but I want this problem fixed! Also when I press the horn the dash lights for the indicators and high beam turn on!? I have disconnected the speedo to see if it was the issue but no.

Have put so much time and effort into cafe racing this bike!

Called up my mechanic and even he was clueless!

Any help would be amasing!

Thank you in advance!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to Christ you are not going to flounce on us before we solve your problem for you like the last new member.

Shocked

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrr, battery wrong voltage, Errr, ignition , kill & relay switch full of mercury.
Spam

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:08 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am active as I’m looking to solve the issue 😜
Voltage is correct, just strange that the flashing rate has not changed with the increased wattage!

I have an MOT booked for the 20th of this month so need to sort it!

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:28 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For me I would put the stock indicators back on, see if the problem goes or do the front indicators first then try the back also check wires out with diagram Thumbs Up

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:36 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from the indicator relay put in your own earth to frame, then you know you have a good negative/earth, then start with the positives side to each light.
Solder a bulb with two short wires and then go to the relay see if its any better.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:35 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the bike as non running, and there were no stock indicators! However I have tried 3 different types so that shouldn’t be an issue. Have gone by the Haynes wiring diagram so it is all done correctly.

Don’t understand how I’ll do the earth connection from the relay as the relay never was supposed to have earth, and when I checked the resistance of all the earths they were all good.

Don’t understand what you mean about the positives to the bulb etc? Sorry 😅

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

The relay should have its own negative side, this can be linked to the frame as a good earth or link the negative side to the - side battery terminal, bike must be negative way round with the electrics (should be, most are).
Then get a bulb and connect the wires so you can put them on the relay
to see what's going on.
If the bulb flashes then you know that part is fine.
Most problems with indicators not flashing properly are bad earths or - side electrics, see this on cars a lot.

Hope it makes sense.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:49 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not a ground issue as I did as suggested and nothing changed, also the part works fine as I disconnected an indicator and attached it directly to the relay. Flashed fine and still and the same rate.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:00 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowing down with the horn suggests an earthing issue, the horn button connects the horn to earth when pressed on most bikes.

A decent electronic flasher relay should flash at the same rate regardless of the load on it so I'd be inclined to blame the relay.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:18 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the strange thing. It’s not slowing down, it’s speeding up with the horn. I checked all the grounds and the resistance is minimal. Have gone trough many relays with no success. This is the only one that actually works!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:46 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

10kovako wrote:
That’s the strange thing. It’s not slowing down, it’s speeding up with the horn. I checked all the grounds and the resistance is minimal.

Have you tried actually earthing it though or are you just measuring resistance? What do you mean by "minimal"?

People aren't harping on about it for no reason. Poor earths are pretty much the number 1 reason for flasher problems.

Another potentially valid point raised earlier is the voltage, is the relay the correct voltage? Early CG125s were 6V, has someone supplied you with the wrong relay or been buggering about with the charging system.

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive this model of CG has a 12 volt system. verify this by looking at the battery, it will state the voltage in writing on the battery. The bulbs, if I remember are 5 watt. The relay unit is a three wire one. The colours of the wires connecting to it are Green Orange and grey. Remove the green wire from the relay, and connect a test load in its place on the relay terminals. The test load will consist of 2 five watt bulbs connected in parallel.If you do not understand how to make this test load, ask. Connect the other wire from the test load to the negative battery terminal. Switch on ignition, and operate the flasher switch. The 2 bulbs of the test load should flash at the normal rate. If they do not, you have an incorrect relay. If the do flash correctly, the fault is in the indicator wiring or earth connections. Do as above and report back with results.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:18 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

The relay is not at fault here as it is fully functioning on other bikes. Yes, I earthed the relay through the negative wire with no change and the earth points are fully functional. Will try the indicator in a series tomorrow will let you know how it goes. I did it with one indicator but not with 2

Thanks!

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I fully understood your last post. If you are making a test load using two 5 watt bulbs, they need to be in PARALLEL not series. Trying to help you here. Do you have a Haines manual with a circuit diagam ? Also do you have a multimeter, and the ability to use it? Here is another test you can try. disconnect the green wire from the flasher relay. Connect a spare piece of wire from positive battery terminal temporarily. turn on ignition. Now if you operate indicator switch to the right turn position, both front and rear indicators on right side of bike should light[ but not flash] repeat test for left indicators. If both these tests work, you have proved that the indicator lamps, and their wiring and earths are OK.

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should read, connect a spare piece of wire FROM THE END OF THE GREEN WIRE to the positive battery terminal temporarily.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant parallel. And my whole bike is pretty much aftermarket as I converted it into a cafe racer. To try and fix the issue, I have 23w indicators installed. Also don’t understand how using the horn makes the high beam and neutral lights light up?

Thanks for the help so far guys! It’s greatly appreciated 😊

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re your last posting. Do your high beam and neutral lights work normally except when you press the horn button? or ONLY when you press the horn button?

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting 23 watt indicators will change the rate of flashing. Fit 5 watt bulbs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1