stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:32 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam and stretch it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:28 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Yeah I know but for £100 I'm not complaining if it lasts me a month. I'm holding the position on the road and on some roads there is that much traffic its stop start anyway. The only problems are the hill.

Petrol, insurance and maintenance on the Strumpet works out less than £100 a month.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Townmate : Gone and got a moped Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Just interested if anyone has any experience with them

I went to look at one once, but it needed too much work doing...

https://s20.postimg.cc/f31b9hzkt/Town_Mate_2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Any idea what the best tyres are for them? Got some on at the moment but lliterally no grip.

I used Continental Scooty, they were ok, got a bit squirmy if trying to lean it right over.

For engine mods search "GY6 Big bore" on eBay, choose the parts that match your engine code (iirc 139QMB). You should be able to big bore, chav exhaust and big valve head it for less than £100 and about 2 hours of your time.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:28 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam, Do tell me your commute to work doesn't involve the A500, A50 or A34 as you will be dicing with death! I had a C50 as my first bike, 3 gears top speed of an indicated 40 on the level, 20 on a hill in 2nd gear and could go off the clock downhill, It was a hoot in the days before the area just got super silly and congested and I dread what the potholes would do to it now. Good luck.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do drive like absolute nutters in Stoke for some reason. I have spent a bit of time in the area and it's
like the wacky races. I drive a white van and that's a perfect dilligaf vehicle for a place like that. Almost entirely
forgettable visually speaking and the assumption being that it is some kind of company vehicle so why would I the non
owner driver care if it gets dented? Also there's a fair chance I might be a pikey and who would want to have an
insurance uphill battle trying to get money out of them. It's great! Like having a force field sometimes.

As for tyres, I have Michelin City Grip on the Xenter. Good all weather commuter tyre. It had some cheap chinese crap on there
when I bought it, fine in the dry but deadly in anything else. The city grips are better for sure.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
They do drive like absolute nutters in Stoke for some reason. I have spent a bit of time in the area and it's
like the wacky races. I drive a white van and that's a perfect dilligaf vehicle for a place like that. Almost entirely
forgettable visually speaking and the assumption being that it is some kind of company vehicle so why would I the non
owner driver care if it gets dented? Also there's a fair chance I might be a pikey and who would want to have an
insurance uphill battle trying to get money out of them. It's great! Like having a force field sometimes.

Driving a liveried company van around London, I'm amazed by how many people seem to think I give a f**k if we do crash. The main reason I don't is the paperwork. The only van I noticed a difference in was one of our fleet that's covered in severe dents, people give that one a wide berth Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveried= pretty much guaranteed insured, company will have some kind of public profile, easy to find driver,
assumption they'll want to keep their job. For instance catch a BT van driving like a nutter maybe or on the phone while
driving or getting out of the cab and up in someones face on handy phone video and a quick email to customer services
with a copy of the footage and they'll be down the road or on a final warning before they've finished their shift. All too
easy but you need that starting point, company name or something to begin with.

Plain white unmarked Transit, shaven headed driver scruffy builder looking type. (I have that in writing on a police stop btw)
No identifying workwear but covered in paint/mastic/dust etc. Yep, I'd be thinking pikey. I have a surly look about me
as well and ironically I'm about 1/8th Spanish Gypsy on my Dads side. Which my explain my preference for driving a van
over a car and my complete inability to pass a skip without having a look at the contents. Laughing

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

I used Continental Scooty, they were ok, got a bit squirmy if trying to lean it right over.

For engine mods search "GY6 Big bore" on eBay, choose the parts that match your engine code (iirc 139QMB). You should be able to big bore, chav exhaust and big valve head it for less than £100 and about 2 hours of your time.

Checked yesterday I've got a gp 3302 whatever tyre that is on the rear and a chingshen on the front. Not that bad in the dry no confidence though. Coming back just though yikes fun in puddles.

I'll look into them and see what I get, first thing is sorting out the indicators wondering if I can get them to work without needing the bike at full revs.

stephen_o wrote:
Hi Sam, Do tell me your commute to work doesn't involve the A500, A50 or A34 as you will be dicing with death! I had a C50 as my first bike, 3 gears top speed of an indicated 40 on the level, 20 on a hill in 2nd gear and could go off the clock downhill, It was a hoot in the days before the area just got super silly and congested and I dread what the potholes would do to it now. Good luck.

Luckily I work nights coming from adderly green over up hartshill and along the a34 to lymedale business park. It's not that bad the only bad part is up hartshill. Managed to go over the speedo today was quite fun. I've got a week when I'm starting at 6pm though hoping to sort my other bike out by then.

grr666 wrote:
like the wacky races.

I think that's why bristol traffic didn't bother me at all I found it quite calm around there. Even the fun filtering of london (especially that motorway going into london on the flyover) was easy compared to around stoke.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:27 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My house backs onto the A34 opposite the now ex buffet island by the yellow brick flats. Over the last few years due to the always legendarily poor condition of the roads - now even worse than ever and the combination of every other vehicle being a taxi because people can't afford buses anymore its crazy. My daily commute from Milehouse to Longton if done on in the Leaf means I am overtaken by every tom dick and harry + all the hgvs driving on the tacho in between the jams plus the legendary wacky races at sideway means its fun! On the YBR I have no fear of out accelerating them but Longton is full of pikeys and the m/c parking is usually blocked by taxis . As for Pikeys my shop bin and all the others in the precinct are emptied on an hourly basis by people looking for stuff to sell especially cash cons and the £1 pie shop. Sometimes theres a queue for the bins, so much so they use a tannoy to announce "please keep out of the bins". Poor isn't the word for this area!

I have to say Sam the A34 40mph I would do on a 50cc but not the A500 and A50, Hartshill bank my C50 used to manage 15 up there, Big LOL. Give us a pap when you pass.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelin city grips. They’re peg grindingly good on the grom

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he said tyre wise^^^^^^^^
I use them on most scooters

am thinking ped for my commute as only ten minutes at most on 30 limit roads since they changed them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2