Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR600F3 Fuel pump / Datatool Series 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: CBR600F3 Fuel pump / Datatool Series 2 Reply with quote

Bike cut out after riding to work in the rain yesterday, have done basic troubleshooting and the issue is that the fuel pump isn't running.

I'd like to know how the fuel pump works if any of you know, there are 2 wires connected to it but I don't know if it's voltage/amperage controlled or simply on/off.

My bike has a datatool series 2 fitted directly in the line of the rear wheel spray which I expect is linked to the problem. I have to remote for the tool and the previous owner said he never touched it and it was fine. I have the paperwork to apply as a new owner but there is a small fee and then you have to take it to specialized centres I can't be bothered with.

Reason I'm asking about the pump is to see if I can run it on all the time by splicing the wires into another 12v source.
I haven't checked whether a current comes from the 12v cable when the engine is cranked yet. had to do all the checks on my Lunch.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've ripped this cunt out now and found the fuel pump is broken.
https://i.imgur.com/apWnNZo.jpg

To get my bike home I skipped the fuel pump and ran the line from the fuel tank, through the filter to the carbs and let it run gravity fed.

The bike ran fine on the way home, only difference I could tell was that it was smoother laying off the throttle and wouldn't engine brake so much. I did however take it fairly easy, worried about leaning out.

This leads me to question at what point the fuel pump becomes effective and again how it works? I've read the fuel cut off relay also controls the voltage to the fuel pump which in turn controls the rate of flow. I don't think this is true but it would be helpful if a knowledgeable member could lecture me.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a CBR600 a while ago, I kept reading about problems with fuel pumps, I thought this was a bit strange as I couldn't find one on my bike. After a couple of years I bought a manual for it and found out it should have had a fuel pump.
I had the bike for five years, never had a fuel pump, it seemed quite rapid to me, never had an issue with it, revved out in every gear and never lacked any speed!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1