Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust, is this normal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Exhaust, is this normal? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've got a WR125 that runs fine now after some miner problems ie water pump seal leak now fixed.
My query is I have fitted a BlackWidow exhaust full system and now the bike seem to use more petrol, is this normal when you add a louder exhaust?

Cheers

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Exhaust, is this normal? Reply with quote

happyDays wrote:
Hi all,
I've got a WR125 that runs fine now after some miner problems ie water pump seal leak now fixed.
My query is I have fitted a BlackWidow exhaust full system and now the bike seem to use more petrol, is this normal when you add a louder exhaust?

Cheers

The answer to this is a maybe.

Did you get your ECU fuel injection map altered to suit the exhaust? (Will require a dyno run and somebody to remap the ECU). If not then you're not taking full advantage of the exhaust system.

Myself I've had variable results.

Way back I put a sandybikespares (blackwidow's old brand name) on my carb CBR6. I didn't get the carbs setup to take advantage of it. It caused a huge flat spot but increased the top end a fair bit and as a bonus gave me better MPG.

My next CBR6 had a Motad exhaust on it no ECU remap. It performed exactly like stock same MPG, same acceleration characteristics .

My current CBR6 has a BW exhaust system on it. It has been remapped to give strong acceleration but low top end it has bad MPG at low speeds but excellent MPG at 45-70mph. I was thinking my fuel light was broken when I did 143 miles and the light didn't come on.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't think the Wr125 engine was that complicated.
Just thought it might be the mixture or spark plug needs looking at then a little tweak.
Cheers.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyDays wrote:
Well I didn't think the Wr125 engine was that complicated.
Just thought it might be the mixture or spark plug needs looking at then a little tweak.
Cheers.

It was mostly a guess as most motorbikes made in the past 10 years have been EFI and not carburettor due to emissions laws.

Plus the mixture is sort of your EFI map Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:28 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the bigger picture, the exhaust should be ok and not cause any engine damage? also will check the sparkplug condition.
Thanks.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Exhaust, is this normal? Reply with quote

happyDays wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

Yes, it's very common for a fuel injected bike to run rich with an aftermarket exhaust.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:11 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will it be ok to run like this with no remap?
Thanks

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:27 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I might put the down pipe back on with the EGR and just fit the rear can.
Have also read the below as I thought the engine would be more air rich.

If you are purchasing a full exhaust system, most manufacturers strongly recommend fuel system changes. Effectively, the exhaust helps the engine breathe better, but without adding more fuel to compensate for the greater ease with which the engine gets air, the ratio of fuel to air becomes imbalanced. That is known as a lean condition, which can make the temperature of the engine catastrophically high. Couple this situation with the fact that recent EPA regulations have been causing manufacturers to set bikes up quite lean from the factory, and a plan for poor performance and longevity is afoot!

Typically, “richening” the air-fuel mix (more fuel per amount of air) is done by purchasing a fuel controller for a fuel-injected motorcycle, or jet kits for carbureted bikes. A dyno run and tuning session is often in order.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that text is a little misleading...
An incorrect air/fuel mixture can be lean OR rich.
Lean (less than ideal amount of fuel) = increased temps and can be dangerous but rich (more than ideal amount of fuel) is not going to harm your engine if it's still running fine.

Manufacturers have actually been pushing engines ever more leaner in order to improve emissions and increase efficiency!

However, as you have said your mpg has gone down, you're running rich, it's not going to harm the engine, only your wallet a little Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change in fueling will be required if there is significant changes to gas flow through the engine.

It depends how bad the problem is. It may not be worth it to worry about.
The increased performance is a result of more fuel being used to give more puff. (Puff as I smoke not a North East Woofter).

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, will check the plug for a nice coffee colour just to be on the safe side Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:10 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyDays wrote:
Cheers guys, will check the plug for a nice coffee colour just to be on the safe side Thumbs Up

Biscuit. Unless you are drinking very milky coffee.

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
happyDays wrote:

Biscuit. Unless you are drinking very milky coffee.

Yep, very milky coffee for me..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyDays wrote:

Yep, very milky coffee for me..

There's your problem then.

Man up put more coffee in your cup.

Very Happy

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:42 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all seems fine now, just a small clip of the bike and the bits fitted with the exhaust sound.
Sound a bit crap..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNn7WfVyGBg&t=79s

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ffs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1