Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MT-07 rear hugger attachment

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: MT-07 rear hugger attachment Reply with quote

I've got a rear hugger on my 16-plate MT-07. It was there when I bought the bike, so I'm not sure of the manufacturer. I think it might be made by Puig...

...anyway, it seems that the screw that attaches the hugger to the swingarm has fallen out somehow, and as a result it's all loose and flappy. I'm worried that it will foul the tyre if I'm not careful.

https://i.imgur.com/qcLv4mD.jpg

There's also a little metal clip that guides the rear brake cable, which is now completely free.

https://i.imgur.com/N4aDFEm.jpg

What is the correct way of installing the hugger? Should it go swingarm -> hugger -> cable clip, and then a screw through them all in that order? Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/QSDphr1.jpg

I've tried to find the exact model of hugger online to see if I could buy another screw, but I couldn't find it. Can anyone point me to a place where I can buy what I need to reattach everything properly, please?

Thanks in advance Karma

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:31 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable ties...

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:57 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use any random bolt that fits as long as it's metric you'll be fine.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:29 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic push fit rivets are what you need
eBay or Yamaha dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice all.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Cable ties...

I did consider that initially, but there's no hole on the underside to thread a cable tie through.

chris-red wrote:
Just use any random bolt that fits as long as it's metric you'll be fine.

Wheezybiker wrote:
Plastic push fit rivets are what you need
eBay or Yamaha dealer

How do I know what size I need? It would be good to just walk in somewhere and pick one up rather than faffing around trying to order one online and potentially ending up with the wrong size of bolt/rivet.

Is that hole in the swingarm a standard size on all MT-07s? I've tried to find out online but I can't find an exact measurement for it Sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords sell metric bolts that should fit.

But they are made of Unobtainium so very expensive. Smile

I guess M5 (5mm).

Just check the pitch is correct before you go ramming it in. Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just double check it's not a closed insert.
It does look open from the photo so it won't matter how long the bolt is, unless it's a foot long of course but poke a pen refill down it to make sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:24 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thanks guys.

I'll pop to Halfords later and grab a bolt. I guess it doesn't matter which order I do it... either swingarm Arrow hugger Arrow brake line clip, or swingarm Arrow brake line clip Arrow hugger, as long as it's tight?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
Nice one, thanks guys.

I'll pop to Halfords later and grab a bolt. I guess it doesn't matter which order I do it... either swingarm Arrow hugger Arrow brake line clip, or swingarm Arrow brake line clip Arrow hugger, as long as it's tight?

Hugger on the swing arm then the brake line clip is how it should clamp.

Put a slabber of evostick on the thread to help prevent the bolt coming out again.

If you are serious then thread lock would be better.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I broke mine due to hamfisted sausage fingers and being in a rush I ended up going to a Yamaha dealer and buying one of each size for grand total of 3 quid the design had changed slightly but still fitted
The swing arm on mine was hollow but the hole isnt threaded
The rivet locks into place by pushing the middle in and released by unscrewing it half a turn or so
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1