Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain snap at 180mph+

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Chain snap at 180mph+ Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/nVrpvOdrtPQ?t=4m44s

Oof Shocked

Lucky sod.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had one go at about 18 mph and that made a right old mess.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching that thinking that he was going to lock up and flip into oncoming traffic..... He was so so lucky.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had a chain go pop at 70mph Shocked
I’ve never forgotten Shocked
It made a mucking fess of my chain guard and the front sprocket cover.
However after a lot of cheek clenching I stayed upright and got to the side of the road.

The fright at 70mph was enough, sod that happening a 100mph+ Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:56 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have had 5 or 6 chains snap at motorway speeds on kawasaki 500 twins. Every one of them spat clean off the back.

Had one let go on my MZ supermoto at about 80mph, that also spat clean off.

Had one go on the Jawa at about 30, that made a right mess of the chain enclosure.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I must have had 5 or 6 chains snap at motorway speeds on kawasaki 500 twins. Every one of them spat clean off the back.

Had one let go on my MZ supermoto at about 80mph, that also spat clean off.

Had one go on the Jawa at about 30, that made a right mess of the chain enclosure.

Poor maintenance? You really should at least keep on top of the basics Razz

I had one snap at about 90mph, under hard acceleration. Destroyed the front sprocket cover/air filter case, holed the shift mechanism cover and wrecked the impeller vanes of the turbocharger. I think it was due to an aftermarket metal chain guard that sat too close to the chain, as my chain maintenance routine was excellent Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the kawasaki ones were due to split link failure. I do not use split links any more.

The Jawa one was due to it being an original communist era chain made of cheese and wishful thinking (the rollers has all started splitting in half and dropping into the botto of the chain case).

The MZ one was my bad, it's a big single and it had cracked all the side plates due to me horsing the arse off it and not checking the chain properly.

The ENfield broke one too. I'd gone in past the enfield dealers to get a new one on my way out on a camping run because I'd noticed tight spots. They didn't stock them, went of the run anyway, chain snapped.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chain go at 12 MPH.
I knew it was all over when the pedals didn't do anything when I peddled. Sad

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a chain snap but I have had a sprocket bolt work it's way out at 40mph (factory fitted), pretty much like a grenade going off under my arse.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Never had a chain snap but I have had a sprocket bolt work it's way out at 40mph (factory fitted), pretty much like a grenade going off under my arse.

Funnily enough, I've never had a grenade go off under my arse.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
ADSrox0r wrote:

Oh, you just haven't lived! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
ADSrox0r wrote:

Come to this year's BBQ we can fix that for you Twisted Evil

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
MCN wrote:

Come to this year's BBQ we can fix that for you Twisted Evil

Or at least, some combination of air bags and rocket fuel. Grenade? Pffft! Prepare one andym*, light the blue touch paper and stand well back.

*Although quite what he'd be doing under your arse.... Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Brilliant thread derailment, btw. Who'd have thought?

BCF Wub

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Or at least, some combination of air bags and rocket fuel. Grenade? Pffft! Prepare one andym*, light the blue touch paper and stand well back.

I remember he offered to 'William Tell' an apple/potato off anyone's head too.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I remember he offered to 'William Tell' an apple/potato off anyone's head too.

Brings a whole new meaning to being "potatoed".

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a chain go on me at about 120/130mph kind of speeds once. Similar to the video - chain spat clean out of the back - no visible damage but was weird to be flying around cars and trucks with no drive. Laughing

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

had one go on my CB250RS as a kid, shot out the back. Had to push it home about 3 miles in the dark.

and another time the chain wrapped round the rear sprocket nut and locked the back wheel at about 60, I managed to hold it up with the back wheel trying to overtake the front until it got down to about 15mph and then dropped it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1